Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Should Same-Sex Marriage be Nationally Legalized?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support it

    31 83.78%
  • No, I don't support it

    2 5.41%
  • Other (no clue what this would be)

    4 10.81%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 164
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    8,763
    vCash
    1500
    The only reason I can see is religion, it's holding us all back when it is involved in politics.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt


    There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,620
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    A true test for anyone who wants to work on sharpening their debating skills- pick a social issue you feel strongly about, and take the argument opposing your own, and see how successfully you can argue it.

    I think if I were to debate this issue from the position opposite my own (anti- gay marriage), I would make an argument for the institution that is marriage in the religious context. Arguing instead that "marriage" be defined as being between a man and a woman, as defined by church doctrine, and has been for centuries. I would argue that the definition of marriage today has been bastardized by secular groups attempting to delegitimize the term. I would then argue that while gay couples may be granted the right by indiviidual states to join in a civil union, marriages are essentiall civil unions observed by the church. So the two would be legally identical in every respect with the exception of the term, and observance by the church. This might avoid constitutional issues reating disparity between the two terms.

    I feel like I need a shower after proposing this as an argument, but if I were to have to make that argument, this would be the tact I would take. However, I still see an issue with the fourth ammendment.
    I think this is why I like to pick on nate and dbroncs. It's not usually taking the opposite side, but it is taking the general liberal talking points or reasoning and challenging it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6,195
    vCash
    1500
    also,along the scientific perspective of Homosexual behaviour.
    Many other species engage in Homosexual activity.
    we are pretty much the only ones that put such a premium on that behaviour defining who we are as people.
    Personally, I find it very odd.
    I am hetrosexual.I take no pride in that, it is just simply the way I respond to sexual stimulation.
    If another mans Junk caused a reaction from me ,then I would act on that reaction.
    The fact that it doesnt,is of no great interest to me.It is what it is.
    The fact that it does for others is of no huge interest, or surprise either quit frankly.
    There are hetros that want to be Crapped on for christs sake,I should be appalled at the idea that some dude gets off on other dudes?
    Im willing to bet there are a lot of men engaging in gay behavious simply due to the percieved illicit nature of the behaviour...they just want to be naughty...Im also willing to bet that a lot of people who Identify as "Bi" are really just saying..I dont care how i get off as long as I do.
    Biologically there is so little difference in the male and female of mosts species I find it silly to place such a degree of importance on who someone is Fing.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ja-Blam
    Posts
    7,357
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    No more than gays choose to be gay.

    Why don't you tell us all about when you choose to be straight?


    checkmate.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    38,229
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I also want to "Gulp" jump in here to defend longhornfan... What he says is actually an honest statement that is true, not just for him but also for humans. We like to be with our own "kind" for some this is race, or sex orientation or liberals, or you name it. Lord knows I have Gay friends who rarely hang out with straight people. When you have shared knowledge, and a shard culture it makes life and communication easier. there is a level of comfort etc. with these folks. It sounds racist or homophobic when one is in the majority and they say it (and when they say it as bluntly and as insensitive as Longhorn did). But it's true of all of us. Seriously if you are liberal and educated, aren't most of your friends and people you interact with liberal and educated? Even if you are like me and have the urge to hang out with people of different backgrounds and cultures, in order for that to result in anything of a meaningful relationship that other person has to want to hang out with people of different backgrounds and culture... thus we are of the same "kind".
    Hanging out with people that are generally like you, and "hating" people that are "weird" because they're gay are just not the same thing. I think there's a difference between not being friends with people, because you run in different circles or have different interests or whatever, and actively hating them for who they are.

    But then again, comparing the way I feel about things and the way he does about things might be a pointless exercise to begin with.
    Visit my Blog.



    "Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6,195
    vCash
    1500
    we are genetically predispositioned to be prejudicial.
    It is a survival instinct.by being able to identify "likeness" babies know who they should be able to trust.
    We then either foster,or work to overcome that instinct, but it is always there to some degree IMO.
    Just like with addiction, you can stop smoking for twenty years, but that doesnt change the reward response that will take place if you choose to have a smoke..its there now...just waiting..
    I understand Longhorns perception...but more importantly, I hope he understands that he is a slave to those shackles hes placed on himself,which is unfortunatley at the heart of many ,many conservative ideologues.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,620
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Hanging out with people that are generally like you, and "hating" people that are "weird" because they're gay are just not the same thing. I think there's a difference between not being friends with people, because you run in different circles or have different interests or whatever, and actively hating them for who they are.

    But then again, comparing the way I feel about things and the way he does about things might be a pointless exercise to begin with.
    I was not referring to the hate comment... to that comment I have only pity and disdain.

    But weird. weird just means strange, and maybe a level of hard to understand in it's difference. Take the conspiracy nuts on here.. I would say they are weird and I don't think anyone would bat an eye because it is acceptable... but to say that gay men are weird is not... but it's kind of true from the standpoint of straight culture. weird doesn't even have any valence in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    38,229
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I was not referring to the hate comment... to that comment I have only pity and disdain.

    But weird. weird just means strange, and maybe a level of hard to understand in it's difference. Take the conspiracy nuts on here.. I would say they are weird and I don't think anyone would bat an eye because it is acceptable... but to say that gay men are weird is not... but it's kind of true from the standpoint of straight culture. weird doesn't even have any valence in my opinion.
    Weird on it's own, sure. I'll call my friends weird. But combined with "hate," which he said in nearly the same e-breath, it's a different thing entirely.


    It also, as well as "I'll stick with my kind," has nothing to do with whether or not gay marriage should be legal, whether homosexuality is okay, or whether or not it's a choice.
    Visit my Blog.



    "Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,620
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Weird on it's own, sure. I'll call my friends weird. But combined with "hate," which he said in nearly the same e-breath, it's a different thing entirely.


    It also, as well as "I'll stick with my kind," has nothing to do with whether or not gay marriage should be legal, whether homosexuality is okay, or whether or not it's a choice.
    But of all the things he said this is what interests me the most... because with our liberal values it is hard for us to admit that this is actually a human trait.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    38,229
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    But of all the things he said this is what interests me the most... because with our liberal values it is hard for us to admit that this is actually a human trait.
    He would probably have to answer this more than you could, but in the context of what he said, what does it even mean? No one is saying everyone should be friends with someone that's gay. No one is saying you should high five every gay person you see. But the way he's presented himself, it makes it sound as if he would be perfectly happy if he could construct a world where he literally never came into contact with anyone that's gay. And that is odd.

    But mostly, it just strikes me as a response to something that isn't even being proposed. Like someone went, "Go hang out with your local gays!" and that's his response to it.
    Visit my Blog.



    "Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,914
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    stop it...do blacks choose to be black? Liberals love to reach.
    Ultimate fail here. It's not a choice. That said....

    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    They're weird. I stick with my own kind.
    I'm actually glad you say this. If you don't like gay people that's fine. If you think they're weird, fine. People will tear you down for feeling this way right now and tell you why you're wrong and intolerant and personally, I'd line up with them, but really I'm just glad you say it and put it out there. It's the people who feel that way and cover it with that I can't stand. If you're gonna have stereotypes and hate or whatever, just put it out there at least.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,620
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    He would probably have to answer this more than you could, but in the context of what he said, what does it even mean? No one is saying everyone should be friends with someone that's gay. No one is saying you should give every gay man a little pat on the butt. But the way he's presented himself, it makes it sound as if he would be perfectly happy if he could construct a world where he literally never came into contact with anyone that's gay. And that is odd.

    But mostly, it just strikes me as a response to something that isn't even being proposed. Like someone went, "Go hang out with your local gays!" and that's his response to it.
    fixed that for you.

    I'm not interested in him honestly, I think we all know where he stands. We live in a land of gated communities, where the idea of walling oneself off from others is commonplace. As far as I'm concerned they can go ahead and do that.

    I am far more interested in my own limitations when it comes to these things. Understanding how this psychological construct affects my own behavior. And my own inability to connect with those who are different.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Simon's Island
    Posts
    6,660
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    I hate gays, but I don't care if they get married. the gov needs to stay out of people's lives and pocket book.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,914
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    At least he's honest.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Simon's Island
    Posts
    6,660
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    At least he's honest.
    Meh, with where I live, I'm around enough "honest" people who share similar beliefs with him on the issue. It gets tiring after a while.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •