Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should Same-Sex Marriage be Nationally Legalized?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support it

31 83.78%
  • No, I don't support it

2 5.41%
  • Other (no clue what this would be)

4 10.81%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What Arguments are there AGAINST Gay Marriage?

So I'm currently writing an essay for my political science class about the constitutionality of same-sex marriage. So far, I'm citing evidence from the fourteenth amendment (equality), the fourth amendment (right to privacy), the Supreme Court's ruling on California's Prop 8, and the Federal Appeals Court in Massachusetts' ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act. Now I'm trying to find counter arguments to my points and I can't find any that don't relate to religious beliefs. Are there any? And if there aren't, can someone explain to me why the hell same-sex marriage hasn't been legalized yet?!?!

vCash
    I actually messed up on the poll. 'Tolerant' is such a bad word when describing support for something. "Yes, I support it" would have been more appropriate.

vCash
    Yes, I am tolerant

vCash
    It is absolutely absurd these religious idiots are allowed enforce this horrible law when they are such hypocrites, they don't listen to the other things the bible says is wrong. Disgusting how someone could be against gay marriage, it does not harm ANYONE. Let people be happy and in love.

vCash
    He needs cases against Gay marriage, Amburger
    There aren't any good ones that are valid, it hasn't been legalized everywhere because there are so many out there against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    I'm waiting to hear a logical one. Something tells me it won't be happening on PSD.

vCash
    well, as I understand the argument in some states, the civil unions laws provide ALL the same benefits of legality that are available to married couples, so then the question was why cant the LGBT crowd be happy with that?

Ultimately it was an attempt at a seperate but equal kinda thing...also, Im pretty sure the idea of "marriage" as we interpret it is founded in Bilblical reference.
    although ancient cultures had union ceremonies, we are talking specifically about marriage(hence the civil union not being "good" enough)
    so, you cant seperate religion from the idea of "marriage".
    Just as you cant be a Godparent without being catholic.
    so If i were HAVING to present an argument for the other side of the debate, i would focus on thoase two points.
    Civil Unions are for all intents and purposes in many states the same as marriage, and marriage itself is based in religious doctrine and as such you muyst follow the guidlines of that doctrine.
    You cant be a boy scout just by putting on one of their Unis.
    BTW, stop asking us to do your homework for you(lol).

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    This is a tough one to argue... If you have to the best arguments I have heard (though I don't agree) is that the purpose of marriage is not to declare love for one another, but is actually a contract for the creation of children. Gay couples cannot create children. This is the only one I have seen that is even remotely plausible. If you use Kant's categorical imperative gay marriage would fall apart at the universalisation question. ( I think if I am remembering my Kant properly... It's been a long time since freshmen year)

Everything else stems out of "tradition" or "definition" which is in fact silly as the "tradition" and "definition" of marriage has changed countless times. You would have to go to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    I'm fine with gay unions. I personally don't care either way if you call it unions or marriages as long as it's the same thing. Of course I like to take it a step further and say oh the religious coined the term marriage, then call people like myself who didn't get married in a church or by a minister or priest a union as well, and i'm ok with that.

I don't really like the wording of the poll though.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I'm fine with gay unions. I personally don't care either way if you call it unions or marriages as long as it's the same thing. Of course I like to take it a step further and say oh the religious coined the term marriage, then call people like myself who didn't get married in a church or by a minister or priest a union as well, and i'm ok with that.

I don't really like the wording of the poll though.
    I don't like the wording of he poll either... Though it pretty accurately reflects my feelings on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Being that it's Church vs State in this case, I believe the State should have the ruling on this one.

If whatever law that needs to get passed, passes, then it will be legal. If not, then no.
    People can be for or against it, but it's all up to the government in charge. It's already legal in many countries, and if your country doesn't believe in it, tough luck, or give it more time.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Here is one short argument against it.
    Taxes.

A married couple get tax benefits because the purpose of being married, at least from a state's point of view, is to ensure that the population grows and new little tax payers are born.
    Gay couples obviously can't reproduce in the old fashioned way. So you would be giving out tax benefits without getting a "return".
    Other countries in europe(like Germany) have tried to solve the issue this way:
    They created a same-sex union that offers the same benefits and obligations outside of the tax beneftis.
    This is the only reasonable argument. If you bring god into a political debate, you could as well go to Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia.

vCash
    PS, I don't think it's nice to have an option: No, I'm an *******

It makes you seem as if you're a bigot on opinions. Like, only your opinion really matters.
    People can say no, for their own reasons. If you can't accept that, then you don't need anyone's help.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    In re: to civil unions Vs marriage, I have heard the argument was that forming a seperate but equal dynamic by the nature of the effort alone makes it unequal ,or "less than"in the same way that the segregated souths efforts were denounced by those who had to live by them.

vCash
    To me, every argument against gay marriage each have a weak foundation.

Even if you go with the purpose of getting married is to procreate(which I think is probably the best out of the bunch for an argument against it), then what about all these straight married couples who do not have children?

but in the end, the basis of the most opposition to gay marriage stems from the topic which shall not be named on PSD.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast