Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500

    If they can't reach a deal with David by the Winter Meetings,

    Would you consider offering Wright to the Reds for Billy Hamilton, Tony Cingrani and Todd Frazier?

    Hamilton is their top prospect, but the scouts say he probably won't stick at SS and he is blocked at 2B by Phillips.
    Cingrani isn't even their top pitching prospect. He could move into our rotation this year if we trade Dickey or Niese.
    Frazier, their incumbent 3B, would be replaced by Wright. He is versatile so we could use him at a few positions.

    Would Cincy consider this deal?
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,047
    vCash
    1500
    I would want to know more about Tony Cingrani and Todd Frazier. I like Billy Hamilton, but it would take one more prospect like him for me to give over Wright.

    I will add that I am for trading Wright. If Sandy got Wheeler-for-Beltran, then we have to get more for Wright.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,784
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    I would want to know more about Tony Cingrani and Todd Frazier. I like Billy Hamilton, but it would take one more prospect like him for me to give over Wright.

    I will add that I am for trading Wright. If Sandy got Wheeler-for-Beltran, then we have to get more for Wright.
    We should always expect more in the winter meetings but it's not that simple sometimes.

    Teams don't know if they are going to compete for next season in December of the year before, that's why the Mets were able to get Beltran for Wheeler.

    The Giants were making a playoff push and Beltran was the piece they thought they needed to get them there.

    Although it's seems more practical the Mets get more for Wright and Dickey in the winter, they might get a better prospect if they hold on to them till the trading deadline (teams panic buying to make a playoff push)

    Problem is they might end up holding them the entire season then and letting them walk in FA.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-25-2012 at 11:09 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,047
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    We should always expect more in the winter meetings but it's not that simple sometimes.

    Teams don't know if they are going to compete for next season in December, that's why the Mets were able to get Beltran for Wheeler.

    The Giants were making a playoff push and Beltran was the piece they thought they needed to get them there.

    Although it's seems more practical the Mets get more for Wright and Dickey in the winter, they might get more if they hold on to them till the trading deadline (teams panic buying to make a playoff push)

    Problem is they might end up holding them the entire season then and letting them walk in FA.
    I'd rather hold them for mid-season if that is the case. But I thought last mid-season was the perfect time to trade them because both Dickey and Wright's value was through the roof.

    What if Dickey never returns back to that Cy Young form???? What if Wright just hits and unproductive .270ish and loses value??? What if the Mets have another fake first half surge that gives the false impression (and I will use the word FALSE impression) that the team is good enough for a wildcard spot and more and the fanbase pushes not to have them traded (which would be dumb)???? I want them traded, and for Sandy to loot another team.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,784
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    I'd rather hold them for mid-season if that is the case. But I thought last mid-season was the perfect time to trade them because both Dickey and Wright's value was through the roof.

    What if Dickey never returns back to that Cy Young form???? What if Wright just hits and unproductive .270ish and loses value??? What if the Mets have another fake first half surge that gives the false impression (and I will use the word FALSE impression) that the team is good enough for a wildcard spot and more and the fanbase pushes not to have them traded (which would be dumb)???? I want them traded, and for Sandy to loot another team.
    Last season was kind of irrelevant because their obvious priority was to re-sign them both this offseason.

    But there is little question this offseason if they can't re-sign both they have to be dealt.

    They can't let them walk in FA in 2014 and only get compensation picks for them.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-25-2012 at 11:48 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,623
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    We should always expect more in the winter meetings but it's not that simple sometimes.

    Teams don't know if they are going to compete for next season in December of the year before, that's why the Mets were able to get Beltran for Wheeler.

    The Giants were making a playoff push and Beltran was the piece they thought they needed to get them there.

    Although it's seems more practical the Mets get more for Wright and Dickey in the winter, they might get a better prospect if they hold on to them till the trading deadline (teams panic buying to make a playoff push)

    Problem is they might end up holding them the entire season then and letting them walk in FA.
    Yes but under the new rules, it behooves teams to have a guy for the full year, the angels gave up a lot to get grienke and could wind up with nothing, though they probably would have paid more in spring training to get him because we could be getting draft picks back.
    I think the mets can get more out of wright and dickey now rather than later, dickey in particular.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,784
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Yes but under the new rules, it behooves teams to have a guy for the full year, the angels gave up a lot to get grienke and could wind up with nothing, though they probably would have paid more in spring training to get him because we could be getting draft picks back.
    I think the mets can get more out of wright and dickey now rather than later, dickey in particular.
    Yes but it's also about a desperation level for a team in a playoff race.

    Teams in December that aren't sure of their positioning in the upcoming season are not going to jump head over heels for Dickey or Wright.

    I think the Mets could get a better prospect on rental for half a season than they can over the whole season just based on a team's willingness to sell the future to win now.

    Maybe Dickey is more attractive because he is only making 5 million but Wright is still making 16 million this season. I am sure a team would want the Mets to eat of portion of that before dealing for him (preferably in season)

    Honestly i think there are two options here if the Mets don't resign both this offseason, they sit on them for the entire 2013 season and let them walk in FA or they deal them at the deadline.

    But i see no way they re-sign either one if they hit FA in 2014.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-26-2012 at 03:16 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,085
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Yes but under the new rules, it behooves teams to have a guy for the full year, the angels gave up a lot to get grienke and could wind up with nothing, though they probably would have paid more in spring training to get him because we could be getting draft picks back.
    I think the mets can get more out of wright and dickey now rather than later, dickey in particular.
    Actually Beltran couldn't be offered arbitration due to a clause in his contract so the Giants got no picks for Beltran, and I'm sure they knew that prior to trading for him.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    I would want to know more about Tony Cingrani and Todd Frazier. I like Billy Hamilton, but it would take one more prospect like him for me to give over Wright.

    I will add that I am for trading Wright. If Sandy got Wheeler-for-Beltran, then we have to get more for Wright.
    Cingrani is #5 on MLB's list of Top 10 LH Pitching Prospects and #57 in all of baseball. Three of the Reds top 5 prospects are pitchers, and Cingrani falls right in the middle at #3. In 146 innings at 2 levels this year (A+ & AA) his ERA was 1.73, WHIP 1.03 with 172 Ks and 52 BBs and a BAA of .191. In his pro debut last year in Rookie Ball, he pitched 51.1 innings, with slightly better stats. He was brought up in Sept. and pitched 5 innings of relief, with 1 ER on a HR, 4 H, 2 BBs, and 9 Ks.

    Frazier is a solid, versatile guy who has played 3B, 1B and LF. Based on his miinor league stats, he seemed to play over his head last year, but it is hard to judge. He'd be a good addition and could compete for a job at 3B or LF in ST, and at worst be a bench player who gives Ike some rest at 1B and fills in at the other positions.

    I don't think you could do better for Wright. This is a pretty strong package, IMO.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,478
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Would you consider offering Wright to the Reds for Billy Hamilton, Tony Cingrani and Todd Frazier?

    Hamilton is their top prospect, but the scouts say he probably won't stick at SS and he is blocked at 2B by Phillips.
    Cingrani isn't even their top pitching prospect. He could move into our rotation this year if we trade Dickey or Niese.
    Frazier, their incumbent 3B, would be replaced by Wright. He is versatile so we could use him at a few positions.

    Would Cincy consider this deal?
    Boy, that seems highly unlikely.

    All I did to determine that was to glance at Todd Frazier's stat line. It's not Wright's, by any means, but he's no scrub either. He's only 26 and is quite versatile defensively.

    Then you throw in their top prospect.

    Then you throw in a pitching prospect for a guy in Wright who hasn't exactly been the most reliable player over the years... and one that you'll have to dump a boatload of money into it.... I don't see it.

    An important thing to remember is that if a guy is blocked by a major leaguer, it doesn't necessarily lessen his value. Just because Cincy doesn't need him at the moment doesn't mean there couldn't be other suitors.
    Last edited by StoicSentry; 11-25-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,878
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Boy, that seems highly unlikely.

    All I did to determine that was to glance at Todd Frazier's stat line. It's not Wright's, by any means, but he's no scrub either. He's only 26 and is quite versatile defensively.

    Then you throw in their top prospect.

    Then you throw in a pitching prospect for a guy in Wright who hasn't exactly been the most reliable player over the years... and one that you'll have to dump a boatload of money into it.... I don't see it.

    An important thing to remember is that if a guy is blocked by a major leaguer, it doesn't necessarily lessen his value. Just because Cincy doesn't need him at the moment doesn't mean there couldn't be other suitors.
    It hurts my face to read some of your posts.
    There are no men like me, only me.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,478
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    It hurts my face to read some of your posts.
    I don't see what the big deal is here. If you disagree, then you could:

    1. Just say so and explain why, or,
    2. If you don't want to explain, then just don't answer the post, or,
    3. Put me on your ignore list

    I'll bet that you're not in middle school anymore, so I'm not sure what you are looking to gain from your juvenile insults. Frankly, that says more about you than it does about me.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,878
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Boy, that seems highly unlikely.

    All I did to determine that was to glance at Todd Frazier's stat line. It's not Wright's, by any means, but he's no scrub either. He's only 26 and is quite versatile defensively.

    Then you throw in their top prospect.

    Then you throw in a pitching prospect for a guy in Wright who hasn't exactly been the most reliable player over the years... and one that you'll have to dump a boatload of money into it.... I don't see it.

    An important thing to remember is that if a guy is blocked by a major leaguer, it doesn't necessarily lessen his value. Just because Cincy doesn't need him at the moment doesn't mean there couldn't be other suitors.
    To put it simply I think your assessment is very off-base and is partially dervived from a constant devaluing of Wright and general pessimism. For a ready to win bow team like the Reds the difference between Wright and Frazier is absolutely a good prospect that isn't even considered amongst the best in baseball and a mediocre pitching prospect.

    In short, I would not trade Wright for that package if it was offered and I believe more would definitely be offered from someone else if he was legitimately being adertised as on the market.
    There are no men like me, only me.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,478
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    To put it simply I think your assessment is very off-base and is partially dervived from a constant devaluing of Wright and general pessimism. For a ready to win bow team like the Reds the difference between Wright and Frazier is absolutely a good prospect that isn't even considered amongst the best in baseball and a mediocre pitching prospect.

    In short, I would not trade Wright for that package if it was offered and I believe more would definitely be offered from someone else if he was legitimately being adertised as on the market.
    I'll yield to your expertise on almost everything you've said here.

    With the exception of the pessimism part, as I'll bet you I'm one of the least pessimistic Mets fans here. I'm not that pessimistic about the Mets at all.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,878
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    I'll yield to your expertise on almost everything you've said here.

    With the exception of the pessimism part, as I'll bet you I'm one of the least pessimistic Mets fans here. I'm not that pessimistic about the Mets at all.
    I might have confused you with one or two other posters, apologies. I don't frequent the forum enough to remember these things. Maybe I'm just disgruntled with the amount of pessimism (which I construe as nonsense at this point) when I do commit myself to reading for more than 10 minutes on here ha
    There are no men like me, only me.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •