Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Winter Meetings: Miscellaneous Thread

There are rumblings that the Rangers are making Derek Holland available and the Twins have been rumored to have asked about him. He is not an ace, but he is young and has a very team friendly contract. He is signed through 2016 with two more option years.

Both Revere and Morneau would be a match for the Rangers, but due to Holland's age and contract, I have a hard time seeing how the Twins could snag the guy without giving up one of their big name prospects.

He has pitched reasonably well in his young career and he does pitch much better away from Arlington but who is acceptable to give up to get him?

vCash
    Fox Sports has also reported that Ben Revere is still being floated around as trade bait though there is no team or players connected to this rumor.

I would be OK with this even though Span is already gone, but Terry Ryan would then be REQUIRED to admit the team is in rebuild mode.

With Span, BJ Upton, Shane Victorino and Angel Pagan now out of the question, the leadoff/CF market has really taking a turn for the sellers. Michael Bourne is going to be very expensive and Juan Pierre is Ben Revere but about a decade older and Pierre really can't play center anymore. I could see scenarios where the Twins actually get more back for Revere than they did for Span simply because of desperation.

If Revere too is moved, I don't know what the Twins do for the top of the lineup and the outfield. Mastroianni might be a stop gap, but I would hope Aaron Hicks isn't rushed out of desperation.

vCash
    Additionally, the Twins seem to have interest in Jack Hannahan. Excuse me while I vomit.

A nice hometown guy, but he can't hit. He'd probably be used in a platoon with Plouffe at 3B because Ryan/Gardy think a righty who hits right handed pitchers poorly needs to be matched with a left handed hitter. The problem is that Hannahan too hits righties poorly (as does he against lefties).

To me it makes zero sense to give at bats to a guy simply because he has a .17 better career OPS against righties. Please stay away. Just because he's left handed does not mean he's an improvement. Defensively this team alrady has a bunch of replacements who can handle 3B. I just don't see the use. Don't waste a roster spot in December on a guy who will automatically become the team's first DFA candidate.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 12-05-2012 at 02:23 PM.

vCash
    the pitchers mlb trade rumors has us tied to today is much better than the ones they had us tied to yesterday

vCash
    Twins drafted Ryan Pressly (http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...ww.typepad.com) in the Rule V draft.
    Looks like an arm for the pen, but he has started in the minors. If the Twins are in "re-build" mode, maybe he'll start. If not, maybe he'll be handled like Johan was when they drafted him.

vCash
    just traded Revere for Worley and Trevor May (Phillies second best prospect)

vCash
    Twins just traded Revere to Philly for Worley and May... I like this deal quite a bit, but it should be interesting to see what we do with our OF now...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...en-revere.html

vCash
    Meyer, Gibson, May is a nice trio of prospects, Worley and Diamond seem like guys that can get it done in the middle of an average-above average rotation or the back of a very good one.

vCash
    The Twins drafted Mark Sobolewski (3B from Toronto) in the AAA portion of the Rule V draft.

vCash
    As to the outfield, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Twins run Parmelee, Mastroianni and Willingham out there most of the time. Hicks and Arcia will get long looks in Ft Myers, as will Benson.
    Last edited by catman; 12-06-2012 at 12:59 PM.

vCash
    we need to go out and sign a decent-good outfielder that can play we dont have the people to do it right now we need help

vCash
    Did the Twins lose anyone via the Rule V Draft?

vCash
    They lost no one. They weren't expected to, though I find it odd no one was in danger considering I don't see a lot of difference between the kind of guys that were drafted and guys like Slama and Guerra.

Considering it is looking like rebuild year, I kind of wish the Twins had taken two guys. They wouldn't need to keep two but at least see what they have during spring training. I would have liked to have seen that fireballer from TB, Braulio Lara. Real raw but so what. The Twins don't know how to use the DL and ride with a 24 man roster most of the summer anyway.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 12-06-2012 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    For some reason I still expect us to trade Morneau. He is in the last year of his deal and now would be the best time to deal him..... To Toronto who has always liked him or to Baltimore who has been rumored to want him and would also make sense for them.

To Toronto for some more young pitching any of Aaron Sanchez, Noah Snydergaard or Danial Norris with possibly a fill in OF would do us well for the "bright future team". They have a ton of great arms so the possibilities are many.

In Baltimore there are also many good options - of course we all would love Bundy but both teams would have to expand a possible trade and I don't see it. Otherwise the options from the O's I would like to see names would be Gausman, Tillman, Matusz, Arieta, or Britton. If we could steal Schoop I think we could have our SS spot fixed as he could play there or 2nd.

I look for this to happen either now or early in spring training. By doing so we could have our rotation set for the next 5-6 years. It just makes to much sense for the teams involved.

vCash
    As much as I would love to see us somehow steal a top prospect for Morneau, at this point I think he may just be more valuable to us then what we would get in a deal for him. The Blue Jays traded a few top prospects to get Josh Johnson, Beurhle, and Reyes. They arent going to give up another one just for Morneau (canadian or not).

I would wait on Morneau, see if he starts the year hot and by the deadline we could either A. Try to resign him for a reasonable deal or B.Trade him to a desperate contender type team with young arms (Pirates, Jays, Orioles etc)

I wouldnt mind trading Willingham at this point though. I've heard the Braves are willing to deal a young arm for a LF. I would love to steal any one of about 4 guys from them (Delgado, Teheren, Minor, Beachy).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast