Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Yankees primary offseason concern be?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Third basemen

4 26.67%
  • Catcher

4 26.67%
  • Right field

5 33.33%
  • Pitching

2 13.33%
Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Ichiro getting impatient:

A little more than a week ago we heard Ichiro Suzuki loved being a Yankee so much that he was willing to wait for them to handle other offseason business before seeing if the club had interest in re-signing him. Apparently he’s grown tired of waiting. “At the beginning we talked a lot but since that time, zero,” said agent Tony Attanasio to George King when asked about talks with New York. “As far as we are concerned we don’t care what the Yankees do. We have had conversations with multiple clubs. If we see something we like he will go through with it.”

This sounds an awful lot like a negotiating ploy — sign me before I sign somewhere else! — than actual frustration and a change of heart to me. King says the Yankees aren’t opposed to re-signing Ichiro to play right field, but he makes it sound like they don’t love the idea. “[We'll] move from the defense to the offense and engage all the players we have interest in and have interest in us,” said Brian Cashman to Anthony McCarron in response to Attanasio’s comment, essentially acknowledging that right field and catcher have become the priority since the pitching has been addressed.
    RAB

vCash
    What do you guys think of Willingham as a stop-gap solution to replace Swisher? He's RH, hit 35 homers last season and posted a .260/.366/.524 batting line, with a .380 wOBA and a wRC+ of 143. He's signed for 2013 and 2014 at $7 million per which is very cost affordable considering his production and fits neatly into the $189 million mandate.

Although he's pretty much a butcher in the field I envision offsetting his defensive shortcomings by signing someone, say Ichiro, to rotate with him while he gets a few games at DH. Ichiro can also be used for late inning replacement for defense and for pinch running. If I were making the call I'd DH Willingham and have Ichiro take the field whenever Hughes pitches because of his fly ball tendencies and incorporate other factors like park dimensions to mitigate his lack of range.

With offense at a very high premium throughout the league you just have to check in on this. I feel like the package required to land him might be a lot less than other rumored players on the market and, with all due respect to Alex Meyer, look at how little it took to pry Span away from the Twins. Do you think a package of Brett Marshall, Corban Joseph and Boone Logan gets it done? Although I like Marshall I think he's expendable and I think Logan is destined for a decline next season because if his gigantic workload this season. I think that package may need sweetening so I would consider maxing out at maybe throwing in a relief prospect like Pinder or Whitley because we have a really good crop of relief prospects coming up and the Twins seemingly have a perpetual bullpen issue.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by x McLovin x; 12-02-2012 at 01:02 PM.

vCash
    Depends on the price, but yes that's a good target.

vCash
    Willingham would be great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan54 View Post
    Willingham would be great.
    Willingham and Mauer ?

Just throwing it out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Depends on the price, but yes that's a good target.
    Do you think Brett Marshall, Corban Joseph and Boone Logan is enough?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank-Knick-Up View Post
    Willingham and Mauer ?

Just throwing it out there.
    Absolutely not. Taking on another horrible contract will not help this team. Mauer is grossly overpaid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
    Do you think Brett Marshall, Corban Joseph and Boone Logan is enough?
    I'd do it. I'm not a huge prospect holder fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Absolutely not. Taking on another horrible contract will not help this team. Mauer is grossly overpaid.
    So. He's a great player.

vCash
    The Twins don't want to trade Josh Willingham but there are multiple teams interested in the leftfielder, according to Phil Mackey of 1500 ESPN (via Twitter). An AL executive recently told Mackey that the club might not get much more than a No. 4 starter for Willingham, despite his team-friendly contract. Willingham is owed $14MM through 2014.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#AfeMKzP2rHrWFTe0.99

vCash
    So. He's a great player.
    He's clearly breaking down, and likely won't be a catcher much longer. So what do we do with him exactly?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    He's clearly breaking down, and likely won't be a catcher much longer. So what do we do with him exactly?
    ...play him at catcher. That's it. He's 29-years old and has one three gold gloves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
    What do you guys think of Willingham as a stop-gap solution to replace Swisher? He's RH, hit 35 homers last season and posted a .260/.366/.524 batting line, with a .380 wOBA and a wRC+ of 143. He's signed for 2013 and 2014 at $7 million per which is very cost affordable considering his production and fits neatly into the $189 million mandate.

Although he's pretty much a butcher in the field I envision offsetting his defensive shortcomings by signing someone, say Ichiro, to rotate with him while he gets a few games at DH. Ichiro can also be used for late inning replacement for defense and for pinch running. If I were making the call I'd DH Willingham and have Ichiro take the field whenever Hughes pitches because of his fly ball tendencies and incorporate other factors like park dimensions to mitigate his lack of range.

With offense at a very high premium throughout the league you just have to check in on this. I feel like the package required to land him might be a lot less than other rumored players on the market and, with all due respect to Alex Meyer, look at how little it took to pry Span away from the Twins. Do you think a package of Brett Marshall, Corban Joseph and Boone Logan gets it done? Although I like Marshall I think he's expendable and I think Logan is destined for a decline next season because if his gigantic workload this season. I think that package may need sweetening so I would consider maxing out at maybe throwing in a relief prospect like Pinder or Whitley because we have a really good crop of relief prospects coming up and the Twins seemingly have a perpetual bullpen issue.

What do you guys think?
    Excellent post. I think this would address our needs. I'd hate to give up Boone but I would pull the trigger on this.

vCash
    ...play him at catcher. That's it. He's 29-years old and has one three gold gloves.
    I take it you didn't see much of the Twins this year. They are moving Mauer from behind the plate to 1B more and more and I wouldn't be surprised if hes not a full time 1B by the 2014 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Soriano is not coming to NY unless Theo eats all of the contract and takes ARod off our hands....
    I think it's safe to say ARod wouldn't want to play for the Cubs. End of discussion.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast