Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Yankees primary offseason concern be?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Third basemen

4 26.67%
  • Catcher

4 26.67%
  • Right field

5 33.33%
  • Pitching

2 13.33%
Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Yeah it's a bummer.
    Although he's not a power hitter, he does sport a pretty high OBP.. I liked span I thought he would be a good fit. And stupid cheap. He's making like 4 million this year, 6 million next year and 2015 option of 9 million.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    Although he's not a power hitter, he does sport a pretty high OBP.. I liked span I thought he would be a good fit. And stupid cheap. He's making like 4 million this year, 6 million next year and 2015 option of 9 million.

Well, there's your answer on 2014. NOBODY will be signed past 13.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

"Wait a second.....did they say they are releasing new names from Biogenesis soon? I think I may have just soiled myself..."

Tick....tock.....tick....tock...

vCash
    mo,andy and kuroda all signed before december nice job yanks now work on the outfield situation
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

vCash
    Guy traded for Span was like us trading Ty Hensley for him.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

"Wait a second.....did they say they are releasing new names from Biogenesis soon? I think I may have just soiled myself..."

Tick....tock.....tick....tock...

vCash

I don't see the need for Span when we have Gardner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    I don't see the need for Span when we have Gardner.
    1. Can Gardner stay healthy?
    2. We have 1 outfielder for next year. Granderson is a (FA).
    3. Span is cheap, and a good player. Yankees are trying to go cheap.

vCash
    Nats acquired Span. Maybe we can trade for Michael Morse?

vCash
    1. Can Gardner stay healthy?
    2. We have 1 outfielder for next year. Granderson is a (FA).
    3. Span is cheap, and a good player. Yankees are trying to go cheap.
    Before last year Gardner played 150+ games for 2 years straight.Even with basically missing the whole year, he has only played 20 less games than Span over the last two years.

Yeah, I get that but I would think the team could find someone better than Span. They don't need to pay in a trade for a leadoff hitter when they don't need one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    Before last year Gardner played 150+ games for 2 years straight.Even with basically missing the whole year, he has only played 20 less games than Span over the last two years.

Yeah, I get that but I would think the team could find someone better than Span. They don't need to pay in a trade for a leadoff hitter when they don't need one.
    Well I like Span. So there!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    So why are the Marlins trading Stanton then?
    Alright, this is ridiculous... is no one paying attention to what is going on?

Olney, Rosenthal, and others are saying they expect Stanton to get traded at some point soon, Olney even saying "shocked if he's still a Marlin". I'm not saying analysts and writers know everything but think of them almost as stock brokers but in baseball. They even said teams (The Yankees being one of them) have contacted the Marlins about Stanton.

Reasons that have been cited for a Stanton trade:
    1. His publicly voiced displeasure with the way the team was dismantled.
    2. Arbitration eligible next year (Loria and his shrewd way of avoiding costs)
    3. His contract, after the two upcoming arbitration years will be up and he will demand one of the largest contracts in baseball being only 26 and at his caliber.
    4. Marlins future looks far better with a return of young talent than the inevitable departure of Stanton and he has one of the highest, if not the highest trade value of any player in Major League baseball. He's only getting better and there's not much more they could possibly get in return since he's young, a stud and has 3 years of team control. (again team control including arbitration years)
    5. They'll haul in a LOAD of high ceiling prospects and possibly even MLB ready players.
    6. He feels he's been lied to about winning.

Want to keep laughing it off as a joke, outlandish, and not possible? Fine but, why is almost every sports writer and analyst screaming that something could and may very well happen?

It makes sense given the situation. The Yankees have a very good minor league system and it is evenly spread out with talent. If they wanted Stanton bad, as you'd presume they would - they would go balls to the wall to acquire him and possibly even get creative by trading a roster player like Granderson and turning around 1 or 2 of the prospects in that deal or even include Brett Gardner in a deal (though unlikely because he is arbitration eligible after this year and could demand a high paying contract himself if he keeps his average around 280 steals 40-50 bases and keeps playing to a gold glove caliber.) And they'd also take back an additional 11.5 million in salary with Nolasco.

What I'm saying is, I would expect Cashman to jump, wouldn't you? (Hell, he's already contacted the Marlins it's been confirmed) It is logical at the very least, and they can offer up plenty of talent. S***t I'm sure they'd give up more than just those 3 for Stanton if they were pushed hard enough.

This sport is a business and Jeff Loria is a businessman who focuses on profit and as you've seen this year and in the past, profit only. Last year was a show for the new stadium that backfired so, he cut his losses. There are patterns to be realized and read and outcomes to be forecast. To Loria it is a business, and nothing else.

Hell - I'm sure if they offered to pay only $3m of A Rods contract and take him a long with the 3 I previously mentioned and even Nova; Cashman would do it. It's far fetched for there to be that kind of deal but there are hundreds of scenarios that are very possible. A Rod is replaceable, Stanton is not... unless you are Loria. To the Marlins, A Rod for a cheap price is more valuable than a disgruntled Stanton especially when A Rod is just the icing on the proverbial cake stuffed with a boat load of young cheap talent.
    (again logical and sound for Loria - A Rod in Miami would be a giant love fest for the city and a cash cow for the franchise)

Here - how about a massive offering of 3 top prospects, 2 major league ready players, 1 low minors/high cieling player and a possible middle of the rotation player. Does that look better to you? Are you going to tell me you wouldn't do it? I'm sure Cash would give even more... But you start the bidding low. (re: original deal)

Nova, Williams, Heathcott, Sanchez, Nunez, Warren, De Paula
    For
    Stanton and Nolasco

I'm done with explaining it. Go ahead, do some research into it and inform yourselves. The Marlins can say they wont trade him all they want and writers like Heyman can buy into the Marlins b.s. but the Marlins aren't adding anyone, they are rebuilding... He's going to get traded, if not now then next year and after that will receive the biggest contract in the league until Harper or Trout resign unless they give a discount. He's pissed with the franchise, wants to win and will certainly leave. Loria being the smart, shrwed business man he is sees that and will get the maximum return and hedge his bets.
    Last edited by DasBoot; 11-29-2012 at 06:26 PM.

vCash
    I'd sell the farm for Stanton
    Thanks Donnie Baseball, B dAwK 20, and Poncho_707!!!

vCash
    Also to note Stanton is not happy with the Miami Organization due to the trade with TOR so it makes sense Miami is exploring offers.
    Thanks Donnie Baseball, B dAwK 20, and Poncho_707!!!

vCash
    The point isn't that Stanton may be available. We don't have the pieces to get him. Every team in the majors would love Stanton. And I'm sure most could make a more compelling offer than us. Do we have a top 50 prospect in baseball to offer? I'll bet plenty of other teams do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    The point isn't that Stanton may be available. We don't have the pieces to get him. Every team in the majors would love Stanton. And I'm sure most could make a more compelling offer than us. Do we have a top 50 prospect in baseball to offer? I'll bet plenty of other teams do.
    Right you are. But teams aren't likely to trade the farm along with a young, cheap pitcher who won 16 games, was the teams number 2 behind CC, and an absolute stud until the second half of last year along with adding in a cultural(Miami) and sports icon [A Rod] who will be of little to no cost and is also a home town hero in Miami, and then suck up an additional $11.5m for a bottom of the rotation pitcher as well.

Granderson for prospects, Gardner for prospects, etc etc. There are tons of possibilities. If Stanton is made available, the Yankees will find a way to put together a suitable package. They have the most resources and that is what it comes down to. It's not just prospects, it is also resources. All possibilities will be investigated if it means acquiring a key cog to build around with Cano.

Bottom line, Yankees have the most chips.
    Last edited by DasBoot; 11-29-2012 at 06:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    Right you are. But teams aren't likely to trade the farm along with a young, cheap pitcher who won 16 games, was the teams number 2 behind CC, and an absolute stud until the second half of last year along with adding in a cultural(Miami) and sports icon [A Rod] who will be of little to no cost and is also a home town hero in Miami, and then suck up an additional $11.5m for a bottom of the rotation pitcher as well.

Granderson for prospects, Gardner for prospects, etc etc. There are tons of possibilities. If Stanton is made available, the Yankees will find a way to put together a suitable package. They have the most resources and that is what it comes down to. It's not just prospects, it is also resources. All possibilities will be investigated if it means acquiring a key cog to build around with Cano.

Bottom line, Yankees have the most chips.

The problem is none of that fits the Yankees plans. First, Nova and Hughes a mid to back rotation starters. And no GM in baseball will view them as more. Neither is a #2. And if we're trying to get under the lux tax cap, we can't be absorbing most of ARod's contract and being left with a space to fill. We also cannot be trading our cheap young players, Gardner, Nova, etc.

Look, I'd love Stanton. I honestly can't imagine a reasonable way we could acquire him without decimating the rest of the young talent we have and leaving us screwed for the foreseeable future.

Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast