Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Yankees primary offseason concern be?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Third basemen

4 26.67%
  • Catcher

4 26.67%
  • Right field

5 33.33%
  • Pitching

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

The Official 2012-2013 New York Yankees Offseason Thread II

Continue the discussion here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    Continue the discussion here.
    What happen to the trade and rumors thread?
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    What happen to the trade and rumors thread?
    Closed it. Too much discussion was overlapping in both threads so just use this thread as both.

vCash
    I'd like to make sure this thread knows that Swisher stinks.

Carry on...
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post

Carry on...
    I'll agree. Rad dude, but stinks at baseball. He will be missed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post

Carry on...
    Swisher is one of just four players - joining some guy named Miguel Cabrera, another nobody named Prince Fielder on that team in Detroit and this Ryan Braun dude in Milwaukee - to hit at least 20 homers with 80+ RBI and a .350 on-base percentage in each of the past four seasons. Four stinky players were the only ones to do that.

Swisher has also been injury-free and is one of just seven players to play at least 145 games in each of the last seven years, and he is one of just seven players to hit at least 20 homers in each of the last eight seasons.

He clearly stinks. You're right.

Oh, and post-season you meant? Well, the Yanks would have been watching the Orioles and the Rays or Angels play in the playoffs from their homes if it wasn't for Swisher's numbers in 2012. ...and as if Cano, ARod, Granderson, Tex and the rest of the team really had great post-seasons. If the Yankees were smart, I think they'll re-approach Swisher with a three year deal now that Boston took Gomes and is close to getting Ross resigned. Who else are we going to put out there, Chris Dickerson? I like him, just not sure if he's ready for 140+ games at MLB.
    Last edited by UESYanksFan; 12-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UESYanksFan View Post
    Swisher is one of just four players - joining some guy named Miguel Cabrera, another nobody named Prince Fielder on that team in Detroit and this Ryan Braun dude in Milwaukee - to hit at least 20 homers with 80+ RBI and a .350 on-base percentage in each of the past four seasons. Four stinky players were the only ones to do that.

Swisher has also been injury-free and is one of just seven players to play at least 145 games in each of the last seven years, and he is one of just seven players to hit at least 20 homers in each of the last eight seasons.

Productive but Hal doesn't want long term deals....he is going to Boston.
    Nick

vCash

Oh, and post-season you meant? Well, the Yanks would have been watching the Orioles and the Rays or Angels play in the playoffs from their homes if it wasn't for Swisher's numbers in 2012. ...and as if Cano, ARod, Granderson, Tex and the rest of the team really had great post-seasons. If the Yankees were smart, I think they'll re-approach Swisher with a three year deal now that Boston took Gomes and is close to getting Ross resigned. Who else are we going to put out there, Chris Dickerson? I like him, just not sure if he's ready for 140+ games at MLB.
    Stinks.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash

I'm not sure there's a non trade option that's not a downgrade. Apparently Yankees fans want the team to be worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    I'm not sure there's a non trade option that's not a downgrade. Apparently Yankees fans want the team to be worse.
    They want Ichiro or Bourn....
    Nick

vCash
    Saw this gem in the last thread.

Yanks get: Stanton and some AAA pitcher

Marlins get: Nova, Banuelos, Romine, Austin, and low-A player to be announced.

Go Cashman go...
    Which led to someone saying the Marlins would laugh hysterically at that offer. The poster then replied:

No they won't. The owner is an idiot in case you have not noticed. They get a nice haul.
    The owner is not an idiot. A crook, yes, but not an idiot. He shed a TON of payroll and now has quite possibly the best farm system in baseball. In a few years, that team will be exciting. Three or four years from now, we could see an NL East championship from that team. Keep in mind that Josh Johnson has major injury problems, Buerhle hasn't been effective for a few years, and Reyes's contract is gigantic, and he has some big injury problems as well.

So, in exchange for one year of an injury-prone Johnson, an albatross contract in Buerhle, an average starting catcher, and Reyes, who has some huge question marks of his own, and a good utility guy, here's what they got:

1) Jake Marsinek, who could end up being what the Reds wanted Stubbs to be. Great defense, good bat, great speed. He's like their Mason Williams, but without quite as high of a ceiling, and a lot closer to the big leagues
    2) Justin Nicolino, one of the best lefty starter prospects in baseball, who could end up as a #2 starter.
    3) Henderson Alvarez, who could be a mid-rotation starter or a very good reliever. All depends on if he can develop a third pitch.
    4) Adeiny Hechavarria, who is a great defensive shortstop, young, and could develop a bat as he ages. Should end up being a starter.
    5) Yunel Escobar. Head case, but talented. Can play second, third, or short, and has the bat and defense to stick at any of those spots. Potentially above average, but with a very high floor as well. Also makes a good trade chip for a contender.
    6) Jeff Mathis, who admittedly is terrible, but is a good placeholder and is cheap as a catcher.
    7) Anthony DeSclafani, who is a hard-throwing reliever.

And the biggest part: With the exception of Escobar and maybe Mathis, all of those guys are pre-arb, and will make league minimum for years. They got a ton of talent in that deal, and in the deals involving Hanley/Anibal/Infante/etc... Jacob Turner, anyone? Kid is going to be a stud.

Of course, the tradeoff here is that the Miami fanbase possibly won't ever forgive him or embrace the team, and that they won't be competitive for a few years. But Loria is by no means an idiot.

So can we stop with the terrible Marlins-related trade proposals? Please?

Being realistic, it'll probably take a few good prospects to get LoMo. Not anyone like Heathcott/Williams/Sanchez/Austin, but still a decent haul. He's still pre-arb. They're in no hurry to get rid of LoMo. Nolasco is a good option who WOULD come cheap, but will only be pursued if Pettitte decides not to come back.

As for Stanton, well, unless Cashman can get VERY creative in a three-way trade, we'll definitely say goodbye to AT LEAST three of Williams/Heathcott/Sanchez/Austin, in addition to someone like Nunez, and Nova, and then even more. If it happens, great, but I won't hold my breath. Stanton hasn't even hit arbitration yet, and he's one of the best players in the game. Among position players, the only two who probably have higher trade value are Trout and Harper.

But yeah, again, let's not make stupid trade proposals here.
    O-H-I-O!

Welcome home, Urban

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadOwl View Post

Which led to someone saying the Marlins would laugh hysterically at that offer. The poster then replied:

The owner is not an idiot. A crook, yes, but not an idiot. He shed a TON of payroll and now has quite possibly the best farm system in baseball. In a few years, that team will be exciting. Three or four years from now, we could see an NL East championship from that team. Keep in mind that Josh Johnson has major injury problems, Buerhle hasn't been effective for a few years, and Reyes's contract is gigantic, and he has some big injury problems as well.

So, in exchange for one year of an injury-prone Johnson, an albatross contract in Buerhle, an average starting catcher, and Reyes, who has some huge question marks of his own, and a good utility guy, here's what they got:

1) Jake Marsinek, who could end up being what the Reds wanted Stubbs to be. Great defense, good bat, great speed. He's like their Mason Williams, but without quite as high of a ceiling, and a lot closer to the big leagues
    2) Justin Nicolino, one of the best lefty starter prospects in baseball, who could end up as a #2 starter.
    3) Henderson Alvarez, who could be a mid-rotation starter or a very good reliever. All depends on if he can develop a third pitch.
    4) Adeiny Hechavarria, who is a great defensive shortstop, young, and could develop a bat as he ages. Should end up being a starter.
    5) Yunel Escobar. Head case, but talented. Can play second, third, or short, and has the bat and defense to stick at any of those spots. Potentially above average, but with a very high floor as well. Also makes a good trade chip for a contender.
    6) Jeff Mathis, who admittedly is terrible, but is a good placeholder and is cheap as a catcher.

And the biggest part: With the exception of Escobar and maybe Mathis, all of those guys are pre-arb, and will make league minimum for years. They got a ton of talent in that deal, and in the deals involving Hanley/Anibal/Infante/etc... Jacob Turner, anyone? Kid is going to be a stud.

Of course, the tradeoff here is that the Miami fanbase possibly won't ever forgive him or embrace the team, and that they won't be competitive for a few years. But Loria is by no means an idiot.

Being realistic, it'll probably take a few good prospects to get LoMo. Not anyone like Heathcott/Williams/Sanchez/Austin, but still a decent haul. He's still pre-arb. They're in no hurry to get rid of LoMo. Nolasco is a good option who WOULD come cheap, but will only be pursued if Pettitte decides not to come back.

As for Stanton, well, unless Cashman can get VERY creative in a three-way trade, we'll definitely say goodbye to AT LEAST three of Williams/Heathcott/Sanchez/Austin, in addition to someone like Nunez, and Nova, and then even more. If it happens, great, but I won't hold my breath. Stanton hasn't even hit arbitration yet, and he's one of the best players in the game. Among position players, the only two who probably have higher trade value are Trout and Harper.

When I called the Marlins manager an idiot, I meant it in the context of crook. How can you make promises to players of not getting traded and suddenly trade them like that? Not only do you should dishonesty within the organization, but you show up the fans. I guarantee attendance will be a record low this season for the Marlins and possibly years to come. You can say whatever you want about the prospects they got in return. Until they prove themselves to be MLB ready, this team is going to SUCK for years to come and the general managers is held accountable. And don't say he won a World Series back in 2003, cause that was done by the previous general manager in Dombrowski.

As for Stanton, I did not realize he still had all those arb years. If that's the case, he would definitely require to trade the prospects you had mentioned, plus more. But if Cashman can work a deal to get them to say yes, I'll be all over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    When I called the Marlins manager an idiot, I meant it in the context of crook. How can you make promises to players of not getting traded and suddenly trade them like that? Not only do you should dishonesty within the organization, but you show up the fans. I guarantee attendance will be a record low this season for the Marlins and possibly years to come. You can say whatever you want about the prospects they got in return. Until they prove themselves to be MLB ready, this team is going to SUCK for years to come and the general managers is held accountable. And don't say he won a World Series back in 2003, cause that was done by the previous general manager in Dombrowski.

As for Stanton, I did not realize he still had all those arb years. If that's the case, he would definitely require to trade the prospects you had mentioned, plus more. But if Cashman can work a deal to get them to say yes, I'll be all over it.
    I'm bored, sick with the flu and in bed watching cartoons like I'm 12 again so I'm going to have fun with this one and Stanton it's going to be the gem of my mock wet dream offseason moves. (it's really really sad but today I get to play virtual GM.)

Williams, Heathcott, Sanchez, Nova, Warren
    for
    Stanton, Nolasco ($11.5m)

Let Martin get his 4 year $40m deal elseware - sign Pierzynski

Sign Scott Hairiston

Gardner CF
    Jeter SS
    Cano 2B
    Stanton RF
    Teixeira 1B
    Rodriguez 3B
    Granderson LF
    Pierzynski C
    Hairiston DH

boo.. I suck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadOwl View Post

not to say your rant is incorrect and I certainly don't mean to nitpick, but I couldn't let the Buehrle comment slide. He is about as consistent as it gets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Dunn View Post
    not to say your rant is incorrect and I certainly don't mean to nitpick, but I couldn't let the Buehrle comment slide. He is about as consistent as it gets.
    I never said anything about inconsistent, but he's already 33 and his stuff is declining. He's going to be paid a reasonable $11MM this year before it goes up to $18MM and $19MM in 2014 and 2015. Think about that, they'll be paying a soft-tossing 36-year-old lefty $19MM in 2015, in the best division in baseball. Again, it helps them immediately, but I don't think this deal is as good for Toronto as everyone says.
    O-H-I-O!

Welcome home, Urban

Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast