Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Worst Single-Season Turnaround?

I'm talking about Southern Miss.

This is a program that while small has maintained respectability with its football program and had 18-consecutive winning seasons going into this year. Last year they went 12-2 winning the C-USA Championship against #6 Houston and beating Nevada in the Hawaii Bowl.

Just one year later they finish 0-12....

Can anybody think of a worse turnaround in a single season?

vCash
    I have a theory as to why it was not the same. Larry Fedora's program is built around being structured and disciplined. Hell, Fedora makes his assistant coaches exercise for two hours a day, and his program has a military feel. Fedora leaves and then the players probably aren't held accountable, and it just kept getting worse and worse.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Its just hard to fathom. But looking at their schedule they really didn't get any favors. For non-conference they had Nebraska, Boise State, Louisville and Western Kentucky all bowl teams up in the top of their respective conferences. The worst team they played was 4-8 Memphis but still you should be able to win a game in Conference USA.

vCash
    Nebraska still has a game or two left out of an original 5 game agreement, the fall of Southern Miss certainly didn't help our SOS at all! We play them in Hattiesburg next year and they still have one more trip to Nebraska in 2015. I hope they improve, we were expecting them to remain competitive.

vCash
    Things like this seem unfathomable but it happens. I guess they used 5 different QB's. A bad defense will always lose you games but if you can't find a consistent signal caller to run the offense it's tough to win close games. Still a decent coach should be able to win 1 or 2 games.

This sort of reminded me of when ND won 10 games in '06 and then 3 games in '07. It's crazy how losing a few players can affect a program sometimes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    Nebraska still has a game or two left out of an original 5 game agreement, the fall of Southern Miss certainly didn't help our SOS at all! We play them in Hattiesburg next year and they still have one more trip to Nebraska in 2015. I hope they improve, we were expecting them to remain competitive.
    I heard they actually sold the home rights to you guys for next year to pay for EJ's buyout when they fired him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I heard they actually sold the home rights to you guys for next year to pay for EJ's buyout when they fired him.
    I haven't heard that yet, the Nebraska website still shows it as a road game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    I haven't heard that yet, the Nebraska website still shows it as a road game.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ohnsons-buyout

There you go. Interesting story, to say the least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ohnsons-buyout

There you go. Interesting story, to say the least.
    I just read about it on deadspin.com. I don't like it at all from Nebraska's perspective.