Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,946
    vCash
    500

    Worst Single-Season Turnaround?

    I'm talking about Southern Miss.

    This is a program that while small has maintained respectability with its football program and had 18-consecutive winning seasons going into this year. Last year they went 12-2 winning the C-USA Championship against #6 Houston and beating Nevada in the Hawaii Bowl.

    Just one year later they finish 0-12....

    Can anybody think of a worse turnaround in a single season?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,755
    vCash
    1500
    I have a theory as to why it was not the same. Larry Fedora's program is built around being structured and disciplined. Hell, Fedora makes his assistant coaches exercise for two hours a day, and his program has a military feel. Fedora leaves and then the players probably aren't held accountable, and it just kept getting worse and worse.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,946
    vCash
    500
    Its just hard to fathom. But looking at their schedule they really didn't get any favors. For non-conference they had Nebraska, Boise State, Louisville and Western Kentucky all bowl teams up in the top of their respective conferences. The worst team they played was 4-8 Memphis but still you should be able to win a game in Conference USA.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    1500
    Nebraska still has a game or two left out of an original 5 game agreement, the fall of Southern Miss certainly didn't help our SOS at all! We play them in Hattiesburg next year and they still have one more trip to Nebraska in 2015. I hope they improve, we were expecting them to remain competitive.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,132
    vCash
    1470
    Things like this seem unfathomable but it happens. I guess they used 5 different QB's. A bad defense will always lose you games but if you can't find a consistent signal caller to run the offense it's tough to win close games. Still a decent coach should be able to win 1 or 2 games.

    This sort of reminded me of when ND won 10 games in '06 and then 3 games in '07. It's crazy how losing a few players can affect a program sometimes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,848
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    Nebraska still has a game or two left out of an original 5 game agreement, the fall of Southern Miss certainly didn't help our SOS at all! We play them in Hattiesburg next year and they still have one more trip to Nebraska in 2015. I hope they improve, we were expecting them to remain competitive.
    I heard they actually sold the home rights to you guys for next year to pay for EJ's buyout when they fired him.





  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I heard they actually sold the home rights to you guys for next year to pay for EJ's buyout when they fired him.
    I haven't heard that yet, the Nebraska website still shows it as a road game.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,848
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    I haven't heard that yet, the Nebraska website still shows it as a road game.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ohnsons-buyout

    There you go. Interesting story, to say the least.





  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    4,969
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ohnsons-buyout

    There you go. Interesting story, to say the least.
    I just read about it on deadspin.com. I don't like it at all from Nebraska's perspective.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •