Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

UPDATE: Braves have agreed to 5 year about 75 million deal with B.J Upton

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times brings word today that B.J. Upton is nearing a decision, with the Braves and Phillies firmly in the mix:

Upton is looking to make a decision this week, with both the Braves (who brought in former manager Bobby Cox to impress during his visit) and Phillies considering him their top choice.
    Figured this was worth its own thread, since Upton isn't just another offseason rumor at this point. All depends on price, of course, but I'm on the record as thinking his upside is worth ponying up for in this winter's free-agent class. I also think his floor is higher than people give him credit for; there's nothing wrong with a .750-ish OPS center fielder who plays great defense and swipes 30 bags a year.

Regardless of what happens, it will be nice to have this domino fall early in the winter, so the Braves can go into the rest of the offseason knowing whether or not they could land their top free-agent target.

Let's keep the updates in this thread as they come out...

vCash
    I thought it was going to get done this weekend to be honest but this upcoming week is close enough.

I still have a hunch that we're going to overpay just a gut feeling. Should be fun..

vCash
    I feel that Upton's range is decreasing. Heyward will help with some of that, but if the 2013 LF is weak defensively, then I'm more worried.

A big complaint on Bourn was his strikeouts, but Upton is worse. I guess if he can keep get into the 20s with HRs; it's acceptable.

Not a fan of Upton, but if the contract doesn't hurt the Braves too bad, I can live with it.

vCash
    Robert Murray ‏@BigLeagueRumors

On @MLBNetworkRadio Jim Duquette and @JimBowdenESPNxm said B.J. Upton is "leaning towards Atlanta over the #Phillies."
    RM

Now I can't say it's 100% credible considering the person who tweeted it is just a fan...but he does cite where he heard it from so there may be some truth to it. Just thought I put it out.

vCash
    M.S.A.sr ‏@Old_Man_Mack

@MLBNetworkRadio #FrontOffice show with @Jim_Duquette & @JimBowdenESPNxm tells us @BJUPTON2 is leaning towards Atlanta over #Phillies

Retweeted by Jim Duquette
    Jim Duquette

so it's confirmed..

vCash
    Wonder what the offer is in terms of years and salary.

vCash
    I hope it's no longer than four years. I do hope we get him though.
    ]

vCash
    I know people are concerned about his BA, but I think the new hitting coaches will help bump that. Also people saying his D isn't on bourn's level I beg to differ while bourn might have a step on him in range BJs arm is a step better than bourn's so you get close to the same defender. His power will be nice and who knows how many bases he can swipe with the green light. Or will heyward be the new green light guy.

vCash
    I'm starting to lighten up to the idea of Upton. I think I'd rather sign him than trade for Span now, after going through our prospect list and seeing how thinned out it's gotten. I'd like to sign him for something like 4/50 or 5/60, and sign Swisher for something similar to what we signed Upton for. I don't think that will be able to come true, though.

vCash
    Lol I had a dream we got him for 4/32 and almost **** my pants. When all likely hood we are looking at minimum 4/40 to 4/60 contract. More than likely somewhere closer to that max number.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    Jim Duquette

so it's confirmed..
    I would like to sign Upton i just hope is a deal around 4 years and 60M no more than that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderKid318 View Post
    I know people are concerned about his BA, but I think the new hitting coaches will help bump that. Also people saying his D isn't on bourn's level I beg to differ while bourn might have a step on him in range BJs arm is a step better than bourn's so you get close to the same defender. His power will be nice and who knows how many bases he can swipe with the green light. Or will heyward be the new green light guy.
    Upton has always recieved good reviews on his D, but Bourn is ahead of him and hy a good margin. Having a good Range in CF is much more important than having a good arm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Upton has always recieved good reviews on his D, but Bourn is ahead of him and hy a good margin. Having a good Range in CF is much more important than having a good arm.
    Yes, but your range will go away at a certain age, your arm won't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I agree, there's no doubt that Upton is a better signing for this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    maybe so but remember Upton's range will go away as well. Bourn spoiled us...we'll see hits drop in that wouldn't last year...not a knock on Upton it's just that Bourn was that good.

I will be ecstatic to see an actual good arm in CF though.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast