Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgcslugger33 View Post
    ^
    Are you by any chance a big guy or able to do flips? If so, I think you should consider a career in the WWE. Even if you arent qualified to be a wrestler, you could write their material for them. I could see the Rock coming out with a rant just like that. lol
    LMAO! I've been a wrestling fan for 25 years, and was a HUGE Rock fan, so it's come in handy when typing with emotion, and I've always thought I could write script far better than what they have going on out there today, but not a big guy really. That reminds me of a cool Bane quote though from DKR.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    Tree, we'll just have to agree to disagree man. I don't think shoring up an already fairly solid defense will help us win. We have a BLATANT lack of power and OBP. Like I've said before, the Cards and Giants made it further in the playoffs because those teams had more players with OBP over 350. Cards had 7 or 8, we had 2 (Chipper and Prado). We need a better offense. We're hurting at C, 2B, the bench and we have a giant hole in LF where we're planning on platooning 2 guys when we know this is what failed in the past. Why are we so doomed to repeat our past failures? It's why we fail in the postseason every damn year. Counting on Francisco to be Kung Fu Panda 2 is not an option. Picking up Gorgeous Boy Geougeous and his extremely sub par offensive numbers is a step backwards. I stand by the potential Fowler move as a super pick up, if Colorado can bring down their outrageous asking price. Every day that goes by our options dwindle, and quite frankly I don't think we will even compete with the Nats at this point. They'll run away with the East next year as it currently stands. 1 freaking guy with a 350+ obp, and barely at that, 359. That does not equate to a playoff team unless a TON of IF's happen which include Freeman and Heyward going from good players to mega stars overnight.

vCash
    Question here. What happens if Jacoby Ellsbury has a pretty good/healthy season? Since he is a Boras client he command money but should we go hard after him if we don't have a solid LF this season? Would we have enough money after next season to get him?

vCash
    Ok kendrys morales is now of the board, and with this trade i think trumbo is of the board to. Really wanted one of the two in a braves uniform w/ trumbo being first choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves302 View Post
    Question here. What happens if Jacoby Ellsbury has a pretty good/healthy season? Since he is a Boras client he command money but should we go hard after him if we don't have a solid LF this season? Would we have enough money after next season to get him?
    If he has a good year he will probably command 120-150M , that's out of our range.

vCash
    What's with everyone's boner for Trumbo? I don't know about you guys, but I don't want someone who:

- Can't play defense.
    - Doesn't walk.
    - Strikes out a quarter of the time.
    - Isn't that great with the bat. (115 wRC+ these past two years).
    - Would cost too many prospects in a trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    What's with everyone's boner for Trumbo? I don't know about you guys, but I don't want someone who:

- Can't play defense.
    - Doesn't walk.
    - Strikes out a quarter of the time.
    - Isn't that great with the bat. (115 wRC+ these past two years).
    - Would cost too many prospects in a trade.
    Agree. Anyway he is off limits now.

vCash
    Just a thought to ponder, although it's highly unlikely as the two teams won't be comfortable dealing to the biggest division competition..BUT Washington is still rumored to be interested in bringing Laroche back this season. That leaves Morse as the odd man out in their outfield with Harper, Werth, and Span. What are your thoughts? Personally, living in Maryland I see a lot of Nats games, esp when Braves are in town, and the man definitely has raw power. I remember a shot he hit against us last year that bounced off the rail by the restaurant in deep center. Absolute mammoth blast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb8311 View Post
    Just a thought to ponder, although it's highly unlikely as the two teams won't be comfortable dealing to the biggest division competition..BUT Washington is still rumored to be interested in bringing Laroche back this season. That leaves Morse as the odd man out in their outfield with Harper, Werth, and Span. What are your thoughts? Personally, living in Maryland I see a lot of Nats games, esp when Braves are in town, and the man definitely has raw power. I remember a shot he hit against us last year that bounced off the rail by the restaurant in deep center. Absolute mammoth blast.
    I actually had thought of this scenario as well, if I were wren I'd have to kick those tires

Simmons over Harper!!!

WAR Stats:

2014 - Simmons 0.7 vs Harper -0.2
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 7.6 vs Harper 8.1
    162 game average - Simmons 5.0 vs Harper 4.7

updated 5/22/14

vCash
    It just really sucks that the Angels are off the board with multiple trade candidates on that team. I'm going to be sick if its Dexter Fowler.

vCash
    So the Cards and Giants made it further because they had more players with higher OBP's?? Interesting. So explain how the Cardinals were 6 games behind the Braves in the regular season and the Braves had an identical record to the Giants (with a tougher schedule by the Braves) if OBP is the great determiner of how good and far your team makes it?? If we are looking at one stat that determines how good your team is going to be....how in the world did Cleveland, Minnesota and Arizona not make deep runs???

Minnesota finished above the Braves in OBP....yet lost 96 games.

There are so many factors that make up having a good team. At the end of the day, the 2013 Braves as they currently stand have a several time all-star behind the plate, a young stud at 1B and RF, a multi-time all-star with power at 2B (where power is limited), a glove at SS, a utility star in Prado, and the top free agent of the class with 5 tools that is entering the prime of his career. Add that to a staff loaded with talent and a bullpen that is the best in the MLB....I have to say that the Braves will be fine with or without a LF'er....add a quality LF'er (Fowler would be great despite what many may think, there is a reason people that know baseball hold him in such high regards...because you can't teach athleticism) and this is going to be a serious contender. OBP or not, having a team loaded with great players that are MLB consistent is what makes up quality ball clubs. I like our chances.

vCash
    Would like Morse code but the Nats would be crazy to lose him to us.
    Last edited by Getting UGGLA; 12-20-2012 at 12:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    So the Cards and Giants made it further because they had more players with higher OBP's?? Interesting. So explain how the Cardinals were 6 games behind the Braves in the regular season and the Braves had an identical record to the Giants (with a tougher schedule by the Braves) if OBP is the great determiner of how good and far your team makes it?? If we are looking at one stat that determines how good your team is going to be....how in the world did Cleveland, Minnesota and Arizona not make deep runs???

Minnesota finished above the Braves in OBP....yet lost 96 games.

There are so many factors that make up having a good team. At the end of the day, the 2013 Braves as they currently stand have a several time all-star behind the plate, a young stud at 1B and RF, a multi-time all-star with power at 2B (where power is limited), a glove at SS, a utility star in Prado, and the top free agent of the class with 5 tools that is entering the prime of his career. Add that to a staff loaded with talent and a bullpen that is the best in the MLB....I have to say that the Braves will be fine with or without a LF'er....add a quality LF'er (Fowler would be great despite what many may think, there is a reason people that know baseball hold him in such high regards...because you can't teach athleticism) and this is going to be a serious contender. OBP or not, having a team loaded with great players that are MLB consistent is what makes up quality ball clubs. I like our chances.
    6 games behind us because our pitching is phenomenal, esp. the bullpen. Not so for the Cards and other teams you mentioned. I don't like our offense yet. We need a good to great piece in LF. Preferably a power hitter. Know this wouldn't happen, but what would you guys say to this: Prado to SS, Francisco to 3B, trade Simmons for Upton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Getting UGGLA View Post
    6 games behind us because our pitching is phenomenal, esp. the bullpen. Not so for the Cards and other teams you mentioned. I don't like our offense yet. We need a good to great piece in LF. Preferably a power hitter. Know this wouldn't happen, but what would you guys say to this: Prado to SS, Francisco to 3B, trade Simmons for Upton.
    We are not trading Simmons.

vCash
    Tree, we'll just have to agree to disagree man. I don't think shoring up an already fairly solid defense will help us win. We have a BLATANT lack of power and OBP.
    What part of "it doesn't matter where the runs come from" didn't make sense? You don't think additional runs will help the Braves win? Interesting. Making a good defense great can be just the same as making a decent offense good. You don't get extra points for being balanced.

Like I've said before, the Cards and Giants made it further in the playoffs because those teams had more players with OBP over 350. Cards had 7 or 8, we had 2 (Chipper and Prado). We need a better offense.
    As you said yourself, the Braves did better than those teams because they had better pitching. It's not like you have to have a good offense to win. If you have the worst offense in the league but the best pitching and the best defense, you can still do well. You can build a winning team whatever way you want, with OBP or without, as long as you make up for lost OBP elsewhere. And defense is one of the places you can do that; an extra defensive run saved is an extra defensive run saved, regardless of how good the defense already is.

Why are we so doomed to repeat our past failures? It's why we fail in the postseason every damn year.
    No, we fail in the postseason every damn year because of bad luck and timing. It wasn't the Braves' offense that cost them the Wild Card Game; it was bad luck.

Counting on Francisco to be Kung Fu Panda 2 is not an option. Picking up Gorgeous Boy Geougeous and his extremely sub par offensive numbers is a step backwards.
    So you think The Platoon is going to generate more wins in 2013 than Peter Bourjos?

I stand by the potential Fowler move as a super pick up, if Colorado can bring down their outrageous asking price.
    I still have yet to see you justify this with any kind of data.

Every day that goes by our options dwindle, and quite frankly I don't think we will even compete with the Nats at this point. They'll run away with the East next year as it currently stands. 1 freaking guy with a 350+ obp, and barely at that, 359. That does not equate to a playoff team unless a TON of IF's happen which include Freeman and Heyward going from good players to mega stars overnight.
    I don't disagree that the Nationals are a better team on paper right now, but acquiring Dexter Fowler doesn't change that. Nor does acquiring anyone available on the market right now, save maybe Nick Swisher. So the Braves are counting on a bunch of ifs, regardless. Fortunately, there's precedent to think at least some of those ifs will come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Braves302 View Post
    No. The Braves are not going to sign anyone to a $150 million contract in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by glgc24-7 View Post
    Ok kendrys morales is now of the board, and with this trade i think trumbo is of the board to. Really wanted one of the two in a braves uniform w/ trumbo being first choice.
    Yeah, sorry to see those Angels targets fall off the board.

Just a thought to ponder, although it's highly unlikely as the two teams won't be comfortable dealing to the biggest division competition..BUT Washington is still rumored to be interested in bringing Laroche back this season. That leaves Morse as the odd man out in their outfield with Harper, Werth, and Span. What are your thoughts?
    I think there's no way the Nationals deal Morse in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    Fowler would be great despite what many may think, there is a reason people that know baseball hold him in such high regards...because you can't teach athleticism
    Who are these "people that know baseball" who hold Fowler in such high regard? And if he's so athletic, why can he only hit at Coors Field?

We need a good to great piece in LF. Preferably a power hitter. Know this wouldn't happen, but what would you guys say to this: Prado to SS, Francisco to 3B, trade Simmons for Upton.
    Getting a good piece in left field isn't going to put the offense over the top. The .786 OPS that The Platoon projects to give us is as good as anything out there on the market right now. Upton is going nowhere. The Diamondbacks got their shortstop, and the Braves aren't trading Simmons. As well they shouldn't.

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast