Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 855 of 1004
  1. #841
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,996
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I don't think Trumbo is the right choice, Willingham will probably cost less prospects and is a better player, i'm not buying that the twins don't want to trade him, offer them a good package and they will bite.
    I may agree that it will cost less in terms of prospects, but I would greatly disagree that he is the "better" player.(Deference of opinion perhaps) They are actually very similiar in production with Willingham being far better at drawing the walk. Here is the past two years

    Willingham-G/281, H/255, 2B/56, 3B/1, HR/64, RBI/208, BB/132, SO/291
    Trumbo -G/293, H/283, 2B/50, 3B/4, HR/61, RBI/182, BB/61, SO/273

    And although I will give you that Willinghams "WAR" of last year was better, you have to consider he set career highs in HRs, RBIs, BBs, Slug, Ops, and tied his career high in OBP. Factor into the equation that Trumbo is seven years younger and would be a staple in our offense for years to come, not just the next two years. I would personally prefer Trumbo, even if it did cost a little more.

  2. #842
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    4,012
    vCash
    1500
    It looks like there will be no trade between the braves and rockies. DOB said that sources say no trade talks have come back up between the 2. Check his twitter feed. He just tweeted it.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

  3. #843
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,574
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    You base your conclusion on projections and ceilings and scouting reports, which is all good until they step in the show. JT has not been able to translate any of that into results. Minor has had success in the show for an extended period of time. The stuff was there, we saw the control and the great fastball. it wasn't luck!

    So yes, I would trade JT before I trade Minor. You're putting a lot of stock into prospect rankings. You know who was not ranked by "experts" on their prospect listings. Simmons, Kimbrel, Venters, McCann and so on.. dont believe the hype!
    Minors fly all/hr ratio changing is a luck statistic. Minors K rate stayed the same, his BABIP went way down, his walks went down, and his flyballs/HR ratio went way down. Just less flyballs leaving the yard....at an alarming rate. When his HR numbers and BABIP number regress to the median (which they will) Minor will not be nearly as effective as he was in the 2nd half of 2012. Simply allowing less walks will not make Minor the caliber of pitcher he was in the 2nd half.

    As for JT, how can you say he hasn't met expectations? He will be only 22 yrs old next season (Minor will be 26) and not many SP are blasting the MLB level at 21-22 yrs old. Not sure what your expectations are for a 21 yr old starting pitcher, but he is meeting mine. JT has also dominated the minors aside from last year while he was making mechanical adjustments, but seems to be back on track with his winter league performance. JT has ace potential. Even if that goes un-met, he should produce as well as Minors probable best results. The only advantage Minor has is he if LH....and that JT is worth more in a trade.

  4. #844
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    20,469
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    It looks like there will be no trade between the braves and rockies. DOB said that sources say no trade talks have come back up between the 2. Check his twitter feed. He just tweeted it.
    TroyRenck
    Told this weekend that no trade talks brewing w Braves or Rangers on Fowler. Thought something might percolate. Rox source said no
    From the Rookies beat writer.

  5. #845
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    4,012
    vCash
    1500
    Im getting the sense that we may not make a trade. Hopefully im wrong.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

  6. #846
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,633
    vCash
    1500
    NL East Notes: Phillies, Ross, Braves, Fowler
    By Zach Links [December 15 at 3:18pm CST]

    Sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter) that the Phillies are intensifying their pursuit of Cody Ross. Of course there's other clubs strongly pursuing the outfielder, including the Mariners. Here's more out on the Phillies and the rest of the NL East..

    There were no trade talks brewing this weekend between the Braves or Rangers on Dexter Fowler, a Rockies source told Troy Renck of the Denver Post (on Twitter). The Braves have been in trade talks this week with several clubs and are believed to be targeting Fowler.

    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#dVb6QFcBCG0LYpvx.99

  7. #847
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,633
    vCash
    1500
    Angels Notes: Hamilton, Trumbo, Bourjos
    By Zach Links [December 15 at 2:05pm CST]

    A look at the Angels as they introduce Josh Hamilton..

    The Angels are telling people that they're not trading Mark Trumbo, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter). That could change with the right offer, but it's clear that they would prefer to move Peter Bourjos.

    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#tqOZjXaD20ICiicl.99

  8. #848
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,650
    vCash
    1500
    just happened to be at downtown disney where Josh ham was visiting espnzone.
    not a huge turn out by the fans surprisingly.
    .................................................. ..................................

  9. #849
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    1500
    They were afraid he'd try to throw them a ball.
    Too early?

  10. #850
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Atl
    Posts
    284
    vCash
    1500
    alfonso soriano makes sense for 2 years at 10 mill!

  11. #851
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    7,244
    vCash
    1500
    He's still got a little pop in his bat and can still field LF well. Got good splits. Another high strikeout guy, though.

  12. #852
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,937
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl Bill View Post
    alfonso soriano makes sense for 2 years at 10 mill!
    I think they are asking for a very good prospect to eat 20M in those two years.

  13. #853
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,166
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    Wait, you would rather trade Minor rather then Teheran? Did you watch the second half of the season last year? Minor is already what we're praying Teheran to become.
    I dare you to find me a prospect expert who says Minor's ceiling is as high as Teheran's.

    Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    I love the stats guys who think that they can break every facet of actual baseball down through luck numbers.
    1. Minor was legit on the actual mlb field last yr. Not on a computer projection or rating, but he has actual mlb results after being a top prospect. JT has yet to produce actual results vs mlb hitters. If anything, Minor was bad at his gb-fb ratio, he will only improve off of that as he continues to learn and adapt at the mlb level. You are the only person that knows baseball, well I guess that makes zero people who actually have true baseball knowledge, who say Minor will only get worse.
    1. When you say "actual MLB results," what do you mean? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're probably referring to things like wins and ERA. Which are really just numbers, and they're numbers that don't encompass much. I'm using numbers too, just I choose numbers that tell a deeper and more significant story. Why are certain numbers okay and other numbers aren't? Because you say so? Let me know which stats are good by you and which ones aren't, so that I can at least try to have a discussion on your level.

    2. GB/FB ratio isn't the only area where Minor struggled. He also got lucky on balls in play (all balls in play, not just flyballs), and got lucky on how many of his flyballs left the yard (at least in the second half). I know those are evil black magic numbers that can't possibly have any truth, but it's a proven fact that metrics which account for luck are much better predictors of future ERA than past ERA. So basically I'm working with a much deeper and stronger toolkit than you are using these numbers. But feel free to try proving me wrong that any pitcher can maintain a .227 BABIP or a 7% HR/FB rate.

    3. How can you say he "will only improve" on his GB/FB ratio? He's a flyball pitcher. Some pitchers just pitch that way. And most pitchers who do that give up much more home runs than Minor does.

    4. The fact that Coach100 and I are the only ones predicting this doesn't intrinsically make us wrong. I was a voice in the wilderness back in 2009 predicting Jair Jurrjens' demise. People said I was stupid, crazy, and knew nothing about baseball. It was all right there in his peripherals that his success wasn't sustainable.

    Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    2. Fowler gets lucky in 2011on the road, and we should drop his obp 40 pts?? Ever consider the guy had a high babip because he has speed and turns outs in to hits?? Your stats cannot account for actual baseball.
    Yes, we should drop his OBP and his slugging 40 points. Speed players can have higher BABIPs because they can outrun balls in play, but .377 is simply not feasible. Or are you suggesting that Fowler outruns more balls than Ichiro, whose career BABIP is .347? League-average is .300, and regressing Fowler to .330 is more than generous. But fine, regress him to .350 and his one good road year goes from .782 to .732. Fact remains that he's never hit well on the road, and even a .750 OPS left field solution can be found in house, without giving up a prospect.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    You base your conclusion on projections and ceilings and scouting reports, which is all good until they step in the show. JT has not been able to translate any of that into results. Minor has had success in the show for an extended period of time. The stuff was there, we saw the control and the great fastball. it wasn't luck!

    So yes, I would trade JT before I trade Minor. You're putting a lot of stock into prospect rankings. You know who was not ranked by "experts" on their prospect listings. Simmons, Kimbrel, Venters, McCann and so on.. dont believe the hype!
    It wasn't all luck, but there was lots of significant good luck involved in Minor's success. He's a pitcher whose ERA will be closer to 4.00 than 3.00, unless he makes some significant strides at age 26. His control did improve, but no amount of stuff and fastball (which only averaged 90.3 mph, by the way) can sustain a .227 BABIP and a 7% HR/FB rate. Unless you think Mike Minor can do something that even Greg Maddux couldn't.

    Also, you can't really criticize expert rankings or projections or scouting reports, because you've clearly never read one if you never saw Simmons, Kimbrel, or McCann ranked. All were highly regarded prospects. Only Venters came out of nowhere, but that was because the Braves took a middling starter and turned him into a reliever.

    Quote Originally Posted by mgcslugger33 View Post
    Why drop his babip that far? He is projected to be in the 350s?
    Please justify this. League-average is .290-.300, and .330 seems like a more than generous adjustment for Fowler's speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I don't think Trumbo is the right choice, Willingham will probably cost less prospects and is a better player, i'm not buying that the twins don't want to trade him, offer them a good package and they will bite.
    I can't imagine that the Braves haven't offered Delgado for Willingham. It would make too much sense. I really think the Twins are just set on keeping him. They have a new ballpark, and their fan support is too tenuous to just completely put the team in the tank in 2013.

    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1622 View Post
    Halladay got sent back to the minors because he sucked when he first came up. Glavine was awful his first year. There are countless other examples. Were Beachy and Medlen ever projected to be any more than bullpen guys or 5th starter material at best? Now some say they are projected to be #1 and #2 starters. It's all a crap shoot. Some people get it, and some don't.
    Yeah, but for every person that gets it, there are 100 that don't. So it's a silly exercise for you to name the lucky few that figured things out. And, for the record, I've been comparing Kris Medlen to Roy Oswalt for years now. The facts are in the numbers for Minor; he's not as bad as his first half or as good as his second half. He's still a very, very valuable player as a controllable #3/#4 left-handed starter, but he's no ace or #2 in my opinion. Which is why he could be solid trade bait, even though he won't be.

  14. #854
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    593
    vCash
    1500
    Please justify this. League-average is .290-.300, and .330 seems like a more than generous adjustment for Fowler's speed.
    Bill James - Fangraphs

    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...62&position=OF

  15. #855
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,166
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mgcslugger33 View Post
    Even setting aside for a moment that Bill James' projections are almost always ridiculously optimistic, an overall BABIP in the .350s isn't unreasonable if he still plays half his games at Coors Field (where it's easier to have a higher BABIP because you can hit the ball so much further). If the Braves acquire him he loses the Coors advantage, and remember that the figure I'm regressing is his road number.

Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •