Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I actually want Bonifacio more. We need that speed.dimension with a consistent bat. Hart is very good, but he kinda profiles some guys we already have .
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Not saying "challenge" in terms of whether he's actually trying put a competitive product on the field. But it is a results oriented business. No playoff series wins since 2001, no division titles since 2005.
    He has had a middle of the road budget and is in a Division where three teams have more money to spend. Yet the team wins 80+ games year after year.

Wins by season since he took over. 84, 72. 86, 91, 89, 94

One losing season is good for what he has to work with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench
    He has had a middle of the road budget and is in a Division where three teams have more money to spend. Yet the team wins 80+ games year after year.

And with that, you are measuring progress by regular season wins -- those numbers look nice, but the standard is on that facade in left field: Playoff success. We are not the Pirates, we are not the Royals. The opportunities to achieve greatness have been there. I am not calling for his job. The bottom line remains: No playoff wins since 2001, no division titles (since that matters to so many people) since 2005.

vCash
    I'd take Hart then Fowler of those 2. Choo is an amazing player, would have loved him, but he would have been a one yr stopgap to give up prospects. Fowler would be a great leadoff option...despite his skewed numbers, you have to love that he has shown great progression, he can fly, he's a switch hitter, he's developing power (especially gap to gap) and he has only been hitting LH for the last 5 yrs. He would be a good player being that he's an ATL homegrown.

NO to Bonifacio. He's got some speed, but so does Costanzo. He's not much more than Constanzo is....so I would have to say no to him.

Hart..would love him. Hammers lefties, power, big guy, would be a great LF'er....hustles, still has many great yrs left, consistent

vCash
    Another poster linked this Baseball America write-up about the Braves' Top 10 prospects in our Minor League Thread stickied at the top of the forum. Near the ending, it reads:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...3/2614449.html
    Wren has operated under more financial constraints than Schuerholz ever did, both in acquiring major league talent and in bringing in players through the draft and international markets. And when Wren has made big investments, in players such as Kenshin Kawakami, Derek Lowe and Dan Uggla, they haven't worked out that well.

While the Braves continue to do a fine job of developing their own talent, they've now gone seven straight seasons without finishing in first place. They haven't won a postseason series since sweeping the Astros in a NL Division Series in 2001.

Perhaps in reaction to those droughts, Atlanta made a big splash on the free agent market in November, signing B.J. Upton to a five-year, $75 million deal that represents the largest contract in franchise history. The Braves also picked up a $12 million option on Brian McCann for 2013, even though he had labrum surgery in the fall.

vCash
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta_braves/index.html

Looks like it's either Fowler or the Boner-aficionado. Either will work, but I sure would like Hart instead...
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post

Losing in the playoffs is more the Manager he has hired, which is his responsibility. However, I think he has been focused on building a winning team which he has done a good job of doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Getting UGGLA View Post

Looks like it's either Fowler or the Boner-aficionado. Either will work, but I sure would like Hart instead...
    If the Rockies are still asking for Minor and 1 of Teheran/Delgado I don't see Fowler coming here.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    And with that, you are measuring progress by regular season wins -- those numbers look nice, but the standard is on that facade in left field: Playoff success. We are not the Pirates, we are not the Royals. The opportunities to achieve greatness have been there. I am not calling for his job. The bottom line remains: No playoff wins since 2001, no division titles (since that matters to so many people) since 2005.
    FW has made a great job as a GM, he took the team in 08 after the Teixeira trade so the team had a thin farm, after that the has gone to the playoffs two times in four years (it should have been three), all that with a league average payroll. The regular season record show he has put up a very good team out there, in 2010 we faced the world series champion in the first round and this year we lose a 1 game playoff against the Cards, so in the 4 years as the Braves GM his job has been great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo
    FW has made a great job as a GM, he took the team in 08 after the Teixeira trade so the team had a thin farm, after that the has gone to the playoffs two times in four years (it should have been three), all that with a league average payroll. The regular season record show he has put up a very good team out there, in 2010 we faced the world series champion in the first round and this year we lose a 1 game playoff against the Cards, so in the 4 years as the Braves GM his job has been great.
    I know where the team was at the time he took the job, and as I've said before, it makes me question why some key figures were allowed to stick around if things were as bad as we believe they were. But I still stand by everything I've said. The standard is the standard, I didn't make it that way, they did. I'm not the only one judging the moves and the team this way over the past decade+, many people are. You guys reacted as if I'm calling for his job, I have not done that. This is kinda what I'm talking about with this fan base having blind faith for some guys who have been with this organization, they did the same for Cox and others when they kept getting embarrassed on their home field. Can't say anything remotely critical about certain guys or they'll jump on you, ha. Just calling it like I see it. Wren's done good things, and he has his screw ups. If you guys want me to paint an entirely positive picture of the last 5-6 seasons or even the last decade, even after my sentiments were echoed in that Baseball America article, then I can't help you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    If the Rockies are still asking for Minor and 1 of Teheran/Delgado I don't see Fowler coming here.
    I think we can talk the Rockies down, that's just waaay too unreasonable. I'm really not liking the boner aficionado. Looked at his numbers, they're garbage. Fowler's splits are weaker on the road, but still better than boner. He had great overall numbers, he's an Atlanta native, and our outfield would be stellar defensively with him. I would be super happy if we got him.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    I'd take Hart then Fowler of those 2. Choo is an amazing player, would have loved him, but he would have been a one yr stopgap to give up prospects. Fowler would be a great leadoff option...despite his skewed numbers, you have to love that he has shown great progression, he can fly, he's a switch hitter, he's developing power (especially gap to gap) and he has only been hitting LH for the last 5 yrs. He would be a good player being that he's an ATL homegrown.

NO to Bonifacio. He's got some speed, but so does Costanzo. He's not much more than Constanzo is....so I would have to say no to him.

Hart..would love him. Hammers lefties, power, big guy, would be a great LF'er....hustles, still has many great yrs left, consistent
    Bonifacio is NOT like constanza. His defense is better, bat is better, more versatile, and gets on base better. Dnt wanna hear some small sample stats on constanza. Also Emilio is a switch hitter. Your comparison couldnt be more off, with all due respect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    Bonifacio is NOT like constanza. His defense is better, bat is better, more versatile, and gets on base better. Dnt wanna hear some small sample stats on constanza. Also Emilio is a switch hitter. Your comparison couldnt be more off, with all due respect.
    Was just going to reply the same thing. Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by getting uggla View Post

looks like it's either fowler or the boner-aficionado. Either will work, but i sure would like hart instead...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    Was just going to reply the same thing. Thank you
    No problemo. Lol

Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast