Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almond Milk

vCash

Almond Milk

I am having trouble finding what type of protein is in almond milk. I drink whey protein after a workout but only mix it with water because milk has casein protein. Is almond milk okay to mix with whey? Any help would be appreciated. I know that almond milk has much less protein than milk in general.

vCash
    don't worry about what type of protein it is. Mix it with anything you like. The most important thing is to hit your overall protein goal for the day, worrying what types of protein it is is near irrelevant and won't make any significant difference

edit: altho mixing it with milk when you normally use water all things equal will raise your calorie intake for the day
    Last edited by DLeeicious; 01-07-2013 at 12:05 PM.

vCash
    That doesn't answer my question, nor do I agree with you.

But thanks... I guess.
    Last edited by Driven; 01-07-2013 at 02:00 PM.

vCash
    Almond milk doesn't have much protein in it. Like 2g a serving or something like that. So it doesn't have a direct protein source. It's just inceidental proteins from almonds/whatever else is in it.

You can mix your whey with regular milk. Your anabolic window after a workout is like 24 hours so the casein in milk is fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    Almond milk doesn't have much protein in it. Like 2g a serving or something like that. So it doesn't have a direct protein source. It's just inceidental proteins from almonds/whatever else is in it.
    Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Is almond milk okay to mix with whey?
    Quote Originally Posted by DLeeicious View Post
    Mix it with anything you like.

But thanks... I guess.
    ????

What don't you agree with? Do you honestly think it matters what you mix your whey with?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLeeicious View Post
    ????

What don't you agree with? Do you honestly think it matters what you mix your whey with?
    I was looking for a breakdown of the protein in almond milk. You're response was, "nothing matters". Great. Thanks for that brilliant insight. I already told you that I won't drink milk with whey.

I'm sorry that you disagree.

I know that most people don't care what they mix with whey, but I do. The whole point of drinking whey protein after a workout is to speed up the process of getting protein to your muscles for recovery. Casein protein will slow that process down and offset it. So there's no real point of drinking that whey protein immediately after a workout when you can do it at any point.

You cannot possibly tell me that it doesn't matter what you mix with whey, even if the negatives and positives are minute to some people.

vCash
    I was looking for a breakdown of the protein in almond milk. You're response was, "nothing matters". Great. Thanks for that brilliant insight. I already told you that I won't drink milk with whey.

I'm sorry that you disagree.

I know that most people don't care what they mix with whey, but I do. The whole point of drinking whey protein after a workout is to speed up the process of getting protein to your muscles for recovery. Casein protein will slow that process down and offset it. So there's no real point of drinking that whey protein immediately after a workout when you can do it at any point.

You cannot possibly tell me that it doesn't matter what you mix with whey, even if the negatives and positives are minute to some people.
    I said it doesn't matter because it doesn't.

In conclusion, whey and casein intake immediately after resistance exercise results in an overall equal MPS response despite temporal differences in insulin and amino acid concentrations and 4E-BP1.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21045172

CONCLUSIONS:

Acute ingestion of both WH and CS after exercise resulted in similar increases in muscle protein net balance, resulting in net muscle protein synthesis despite different patterns of blood amino acid responses.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21045172

For what ugotta was referencing:
    Our results suggest that resistance exercise performed until failure confers a sensitizing effect on human skeletal muscle for at least 24 h that is specific to the myofibrillar protein fraction.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

It's been studied plenty - little things like this have tiny if any effects on your body. What's by far most important is hitting your daily macro/micro nutrient goals and getting the right amount of calories.

Mix your whey with casein/water/milk/almond milk/broccoli/orange juice/tea/whatever you prefer.

Edit: also your one question in the OP was "Is almond milk okay to mix with whey?" so I apologize for answering the question as opposed to the non-questions you weren't asking.

vCash
    I've never taken it but I heard it's gross.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I've never taken it but I heard it's gross.
    I like it. You can get unsweetened chocolate and vanilla and they mix really well in shakes. The one I get is only 45 cal per serving so you can get a way better shake than with water for a small cal increase

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I like it. You can get unsweetened chocolate and vanilla and they mix really well in shakes. The one I get is only 45 cal per serving so you can get a way better shake than with water for a small cal increase
    I actually love the strawberry and chocolate flavors of ON's Gold Standard mixed with only water. I'd rather save those cals for other stuff altho 45 cals per serving is awesome. I'm assume 8 ounces?

vCash

But thanks... I guess.
    Do you drink it when you're on your period, or do you skip it at that time of the month?

vCash
    1) Type of protein is pretty irrelevant.
    2) The protein type in almond milk is pretty irrelevant due to the low protein content, what you should look at is fat content if you are worried about speed of release/absorption.
    3) The whole anabolic window is a myth, you have 24-36 hours of increased protein synthesis after strength training. So as long as you get any sort of protein within a few hours you are fine.

4) ON's protein is pretty bad, dynamatize is cheaper and has better flavors. Trutein is in the same price range and has much much better flavors than either.

To actually answer your question I suppose. It is not casein nor egg white so I imagine it is an equivilent to whey in terms of absorption.
    Last edited by alexander_37; 01-08-2013 at 01:36 AM.

vCash
    Code:

Popular Types of Almond Milk Prot(g)

Unsweetened Almond Milk

1/2 cup	0.75
     1 cup	1.51
     1 fl oz	0.19

Sweetened Almond Milk
     1/2 cup	0.74
     1 cup	1.48
     1 fl oz	0.18

Other Types of Milk
    (1 cup serving) Prot(g)

Chocolate Milk	7.70
     Regular Milk	8.03
     Soy Milk	10.98
     Sweetened Condensed Milk	12.13
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    Code:

Popular Types of Almond Milk Prot(g)

Unsweetened Almond Milk

1/2 cup	0.75
     1 cup	1.51
     1 fl oz	0.19

Sweetened Almond Milk
     1/2 cup	0.74
     1 cup	1.48
     1 fl oz	0.18