Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Coleman: Mets Reaching Critical Point In Wright, Dickey Negotiations

It’s now a little over 7 weeks since baseball’s regular season ended – and both David Wright and R.A. Dickey remain unsigned by the Mets. Their extensions have been picked up for next year, but longer-term deals have not been reached with either. Discussions? Yes. Progress made? A little. But next week will be a crucial one regarding the two players because it leads up to the start of the Winter Meetings, December 3rd in Nashville, and the Mets will need a clearer picture of where they stand in order to better formulate their plans to move forward.

Mets C.O.O. Jeff Wilpon recently stated that there are 3 options in play. The team’s preference is to sign both Wright and Dickey to extensions. Secondly, if that doesn’t happen, they could keep them on their current one-year extensions and have them play out the season. Finally, if neither of those come to fruition, they could trade one or both of them – now during the off-season or at the trading deadline next July.

Kansas City recently signed RHP Jeremy Guthrie to a 3 year $25 million contract ($5M-$11M-$9M), which could be a problem for the Mets in the Dickey negotiations. The Mets were looking to sign their Cy Young award winner for less money than Guthrie received over the length of his contract – more than the per-year figure ($8.3M) but less than the total ($25M), something on the order of a 2-year extension at $20-22 million, which would effectively double Dickey’s salary.
    Read more:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...-negotiations/

Can't help but recall -- as everyone else has - how Alderson proclaimed that the Mets would move quickly on these signings. Seven weeks later you have to wonder either they're going to fork up the cash or they're not. The numbers aren't going to go away. Wright and Dickey will get what they want either from the Mets or someone else, The only question is whether the Mets want to pay them or if they'll trade them to someone else who will.

I'm thinking it's most likely the latter.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I think they'll go into next season unsigned long-term, and then they'll just let them walk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Read more:

Can't help but recall -- as everyone else has - how Alderson proclaimed that the Mets would move quickly on these signings. Seven weeks later you have to wonder either they're going to fork up the cash or they're not. The numbers aren't going to go away. Wright and Dickey will get what they want either from the Mets or someone else, The only question is whether the Mets want to pay them or if they'll trade them to someone else who will.

When did he say they would sign them quickly? He did not. Move on means initiating discussions. Nothing more than that.

Nov 16 - According to Marc Carig of Newsday, Sandy Alderson is not necessarily seeking a resolution to either David Wright’s or R.A. Rickey’s contract situation right now, but would like some clarity after Thanksgiving and before the Winter Meetings.

“At some point we need resolution on these discussions to be able to move on, but that time is not now,” Alderson said, according to Carig.

The Winter Meetings take place from December 4-6 in Nashville, Tennessee.
    One reason -- per Dickey at least -- is that the Winter Meetings is when SA will get relevant offers for Dickey, and he can weigh the pros and cons of dealing him for a package.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-24-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I think they'll go into next season unsigned long-term, and then they'll just let them walk.
    Pretty much
    For God's sake, trade Wright and Dickey for the following:

Option A: Wright ; Dickey, and Santana(Mets eat his 25 mil for 2013) to Texas for Gentry; Holland, Martin Perez, Olt, Andrus, Jorge Alfaro(he's a power hitting catcher w/ plus defense and will be ready by 2015).

Option B: Dickey to the Angels for Kaleb Crowart; Taylor Lindsay, Garrett Richards, and Peter Bourjos.

Option C: Dickey and Johan Santana(Mets eat his 25 mil for 2013) to the Royals for Alex Gordon.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Canon; 11-24-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    LOL at option A. No way Texas will ever give up all that for anyone, and they don't need Wright when they have Beltre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    LOL at option A. No way Texas will ever give up all that for anyone, and they don't need Wright when they have Beltre.
    They have no 1B, move Beltre to 1st, and you have an phenomenal corner infield. If we don't ask for Andrus, then that's a realistic trade. Hell, give me Holland; Gentry, Olt, and Jorge Alfaro and I'd probably call it a day.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Canon; 11-24-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Read more:

At this point, I too thought negotiations for both players would be at near signings of both.

However, as time passes, I believe one or both will be traded.

Until the Whimpons sell, this team no matter what they do will look beat. We are several years away from being consequential and relevant.

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    **** Sandy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Pretty much

Option A: Wright ; Dickey, and Santana(Mets eat his 25 mil for 2013) to Texas for Gentry; Holland, Martin Perez, Olt, Andrus, Jorge Alfaro(he's a power hitting catcher w/ plus defense and will be ready by 2015).

Option B: Dickey to the Angels for Kaleb Crowart; Taylor Lindsay, Garrett Richards, and Peter Bourjos.

Option C: Dickey and Johan Santana(Mets eat his 25 mil for 2013) to the Royals for Alex Gordon.
    Go with Option A. Then we could have two teams in town known as the New York Rangers.

vCash
    If I were Dickey and the Mets offered 2/20 I would take it. Knuckleballers are notoriously up and down. If he doesn't sign and has a so-so year then what? He'll then be late 30s coming off an mediocre season. Good luck with that.

2/20 is a sure thing and something he never dreamed possible a few short years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    If I were Dickey and the Mets offered 2/20 I would take it. Knuckleballers are notoriously up and down. If he doesn't sign and has a so-so year then what? He'll then be late 30s coming off an mediocre season. Good luck with that.

2/20 is a sure thing and something he never dreamed possible a few short years ago.
    Odds are he won't sign a deal like that coming off a Cy Young season and a guy like Jeremy Guthrie getting 3yrs/25 million dollars with the Royals.

I am sure he will be looking for a Peavy like deal of 2yrs/29 million or in that ballpark.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-24-2012 at 07:12 PM.

vCash
    Pretty much

there is no way this could happen, not for a 37 year old pitcher who is on the verge of free agency, yeah we could use another good starter, but that trade torpedo's us,
    We currently have 3 pitchers going into next year Weaver, Willson, Richards. If we give you richards for Dickey we have the same number of pitchers but one really old one in stead of a really young cheap one, and if dickey leaves were screwed. Also, if we trade cowart than who will play 3b in the future? Besides you have Wilmar Flores, who is closer to the show, you don't need Cowart.

Besides i think wright would do the angels a lot more good than dickey.

Bourjos, Lindsey, and Nick Maronde, + maybe Cron, though if we get him after opening day your return will be less because we can't get draft picks back.

vCash
    They have no 1B, move Beltre to 1st, and you have an phenomenal corner infield. If we don't ask for Andrus, then that's a realistic trade. Hell, give me Holland; Gentry, Olt, and Jorge Alfaro and I'd probably call it a day.
    but they can put olt or beltre there, they have mitch moreland who played well, and also they can put young there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    there is no way this could happen, not for a 37 year old pitcher who is on the verge of free agency, yeah we could use another good starter, but that trade torpedo's us,
    We currently have 3 pitchers going into next year Weaver, Willson, Richards. If we give you richards for Dickey we have the same number of pitchers but one really old one in stead of a really young cheap one, and if dickey leaves were screwed. Also, if we trade cowart than who will play 3b in the future? Besides you have Wilmar Flores, who is closer to the show, you don't need Cowart.

Besides i think wright would do the angels a lot more good than dickey.

Bourjos, Lindsey, and Nick Maronde, + maybe Cron, though if we get him after opening day your return will be less because we can't get draft picks back.
    Fair enough, however if you guys resign Greinke, than this trade is a possibility.

vCash
    Beltre has a better arm than Wright and is just fantastic at 3B. No way would either move to 1B.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast