Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joba's value

vCash

Joba's value

Jay's fan here. I would like to get an idea of what Joba's value is right now to the Yankee's. Always been a big fan of the guy but obviously he doesn't hold nearly the same value as he did when he first came up with the stagnation of his development, the loss of some of his "stuff" and his injuries.

I can see why fanbases would like to hold on to once heralded prospects but sometimes its best to cut loose and get what you can. For example the Jays traded a top 5 prospect at one point and the poster boy for a dreamy fanbase in Travis Snider for a middle reliever in Brad Lincoln (albeit a good middle reliever).

2 years ago I made a post here on how a Adeiny Hech for Joba trade would be good for both teams (and the response wasn't very receptive). Of course Hech has now been traded in a package for Reyes and Joba's value has dropped even further since then. At this point Joba would serve the same position on the Jays as he would on the Yankees - a longman in the bullpen and a fill in starter. We are committed too much this year to risk on his development which we would have 2 years ago.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Kevin Pillar (an very good hitting second basemen in our system) and Brett Cecil. I know quite a few Jays fans might disagree with including Pillar in what seems like a lost cause in Joba but our franchise has turned around a few arms, and I've always liked Joba.

vCash
    Joba still resonates highly with the Yankee fan base and most, if not all, of us pull extra hard for him since he's been screwed up a bit by the team itself.

Personally, I'd rather keep him and give him a shot at Mo's replacement in 14.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Joba still resonates highly with the Yankee fan base and most, if not all, of us pull extra hard for him since he's been screwed up a bit by the team itself.

Maybe Mo returns for another season? Don't put it past him.....
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Maybe Mo returns for another season? Don't put it past him.....
    Doubtful. But you never know.

As for Joba, it's really a shame they gave up on him being a starter so damn quickly. Even if he were a 3/4 starter in the rotation he would hold more value than being the 7th inning reliever for this team.

vCash
    Joba still resonates highly with the Yankee fan base and most, if not all, of would haveus pull extra hard for him since he's been screwed up a bit by the team itself.

True the yanks screwed with him. Needs one more season to see what he could do. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPORT FAN View Post
    True the yanks screwed with him. Needs one more season to see what he could do. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
    Why not make him a starter again? No rules attached!

It would Brian save some $$$$...
    Nick

vCash

Because they would be admitting a mistake. Look at the pitching situation: Kuroda and Andy(hopefully coming back) only on a yr to yr basis, Hughes going to be a free agent next yr, Nova took a step back last season, Pineda recovering from an injury, the Bs struggled and were injured, etc. Joba could have been a starter going forward since there is some uncertainty with the rotation but Cashman couldn't think ahead and stuffed him in the pen back in 2010. The idea is to give yourself as many options as possible not limit them.
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    My value is very high. That is all.

vCash
    I believe the Yanks should give him another shot and simply answer for why the change of heart, "After the TJ surgery, he came back showing he could do the job."

Time will tell how he will do, but I think the TJ and rehab may have fixed more than his elbow.

vCash

agreed, if their was ever a what not to do development plan its Joba's. How they take a guy with a mid -high 90's fb as a starter, a decsent 2 seam and 3 above average to plus plus off speed pitches and make him a 6th-7th inning guy is beyond me. I know his injuries played a part in it but he had more talent and way better stuff than any pitching prospect we ve had and was only really given one chance to be a starter where they gave Hughes tons of chances to be pretty average.
    IMO he's gone after next yr to a team that will give him a chance to be a starter again and now his injuries are fixed i think he could still end up a front of the rotation kind of guy. The whole thing still makes me sick

he should but they never do it because it would be admitting a huge error on his part for not giving him more chances a couple yrs ago. Also unless they get another quality reliever like Soria they will need another back up closer option just in case Mo doesn't workout as well as we hope or gets injured again

Quote Originally Posted by BigCityofDreams View Post
    Because they would be admitting a mistake. Look at the pitching situation: Kuroda and Andy(hopefully coming back) only on a yr to yr basis, Hughes going to be a free agent next yr, Nova took a step back last season, Pineda recovering from an injury, the Bs struggled and were injured, etc. Joba could have been a starter going forward since there is some uncertainty with the rotation but Cashman couldn't think ahead and stuffed him in the pen back in 2010. The idea is to give yourself as many options as possible not limit them.
    well said... we could all pray that they come to their senses and give Joba another chance to start but i think theirs probably a better chance we see Swisher back than that happening. IMO if they had Joba stretch out and get prepared to be a starter this winter and ST he could be easily better than Nova Phelps and probably Hughes
    As far as his trade value i don't see the Yanks trading him unless its for something really good, they passed on the Haren deal a couple yrs ago because they wouldn't include Joba and any other time his name has been brought up they wouldn't include him. So unless its for something better than a couple of B type prospects i think theyll keep him

vCash
    Really the Joba Chamberlain story is the Travis Snider story. A LOT of similarities between the two.

vCash
    I blame the midges for ruining Joba. He has not been the same since that game.

vCash
    minimal
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JobaRules26 View Post
    My value is very high. That is all.
    Except when it comes to trampolines.

vCash
    Cashman isn't trading Joba for anything less than Edwin Encarcion.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast