Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How good of a team is this?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Realistic, Long and Short Term Contender

1 4.76%
  • Realistic, Long Term Contender

1 4.76%
  • Realistic, Short Term Contender

0 0%
  • Realistic, Not a Contender

4 19.05%
  • Not Realistic

15 71.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

ABE32's Cubs Mock Offseason

Remember, these are not based on what you think what will happen or whether or not the players want to come to Chicago. Vote based on whether the deals and trades are realistic and whether the team is a contender or not.
    Payroll: 108.39 MM

Traded to Kansas City (Alfonso Soriano-Bryan Lahair) 19.5 for Parker Markel and Alex Colome cubs pay Sorianos 36M entire salary.

Traded to BOS - (Matt Garza and steve clevenger)- 10 Million* Matt Barnes P,Blake Swihart C and Drake Britton LHP

Traded to NYY - (Carlos Marmol) 9.8 Million Joba Chamberlain 1.6 million

Traded to Kansas City (Tony Campana and James Russell) for Joakim Soria 3 years 12 million CL

Trade to Miami (Josh Vitters Jay Jackson and Trey McNutt) for Jeremy Hellickson

FA Ryan Ludwick 3 year 18.5 Million
    FA Melky Crabrea 2 year 8 Million
    FA Palcido Palanco 2 Yr 10 Million
    FA Ryan Dempster 3 Year 28 Million
    FA Geral Laird 2 year 5 Million

1.David DeJesus- 4.250 Million RF
    2.Starlin Castro- 5.8 Million SS
    3.Anthony Rizzo- 500k 1b
    4.Ryan Ludwick 3 yr 6.16 annual salary RF
    5.Melky 2 yr 4 mill annual salary CF
    6.Ian Stewart- 2.5 Million 3B
    7.Wellington Castillo- 500k C
    8.Darwin Barney- .750k 2B

SP:
    1.Joba Chamberlain 1yr 9.8 million aquired from NYY (Marmol)
    2.Jeremy Hellickson 1 yr 500k Million aquired from Tampa (Josh Vitters Jay Jackson and Chris Rusin)
    3.Jeff Samardzija- 2.9 Million* 5 years 32.275 Million 6.5 annual salary
    4.Brandon McCarthy Free Agent Pick up 3 years 18 million 6 Mill annual salary
    5.Travis Wood 450K

BP:
    Rafael Dolis- 500k
    Lendy Castillo- 500k
    Jeff Beliveau- 500k
    Casey Coleman -500K
    Shawn Camp - 550K
    Blake Parker- 500k
    Rafael Dolis- 500k
    Joakim Soria 3 years 12 million CL

Bench:
    Gerald Laird- 5mill 2 year fa pick up Bench
    Luis Valbuena- 900k* Bench
    Dave Sappelt -500K
    Placido Palanco 2 yr 10 million

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    salaries seem a little low.

Why on earth would a rebuilding team like the red sox trade 3 of their better prospects for a broken pitcher with 1 year of control?

Teams are wrong for the trades Right?

Joba is not a starter, and I don't think he ever will be.

Unrealistic not a contender.
    Last edited by flips333; 11-24-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Hellickson on Miami? So the rays are going to trade him to Miami and then a quick flip to the Cubs huh?

Bold strategy cotton.... lets see how it plays out....

vCash
    ^

Soria is a FA so you wouldn't have to trade to get him. I really don't see Hellickson going for that kind of package. The Garza deal is ok, but I'd personally keep him at this point. Melky I like. Dempster I like. Don't like the Ludwick deal at all. I don't think Joba is a starter at this point. Could be a nice pen arm though. Rotation is decent. The offense and the bullpen would probably be pretty ugly. Some things are realistic and some arent. Not a contender for this season. Not exactly sure for long term either
    Last edited by Mell413; 11-24-2012 at 09:28 AM.

vCash
    The Soria stuff and that Hellickson trade killed this for me. I just don't think is realistic.

vCash
    Got to remember that Soria was being considered to have his option picked up at one point. The extra years, at less money per though, wouldn't have happened. Like the idea of youth. But the Garza trade is too much of a return, dependent on when it occured. Midseason? Possibly, if hes pitching great. But even at the end of ST, Boston, in particular, would be extremely wary of trading for him. They got screwed in their minds with Carpenter as the Theo comp, so giving up bigtime prospects for a SP with us, for a guy that missed the last 2 and a 1/2 months? Nah, not happening over the offseason. Hellickson? Theres certainly reasons for US to do that deal, but what is Tampa's? Assuming they trade SP this offseason, wouldn't it be for an immediate impact at the major league level? At any rate, like the youth infusion thought.

vCash
    Nothing about this mock is realistic. For starters Melky is signed, isn't he. And he want for way more than what is being suggested. Then the Cubs are getting Hellickson from Miami. When did he go to Miami. Also, I see McCarthy in the rotation but no mention of getting him as a FA, and I do not see Dempster in the rotation when he is signed, according to the mock. As for the trades, I seriously doubt Hellickson is had for that package, even if it was made to Tampa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Nothing about this mock is realistic. For starters Melky is signed, isn't he. And he want for way more than what is being suggested. Then the Cubs are getting Hellickson from Miami. When did he go to Miami. Also, I see McCarthy in the rotation but no mention of getting him as a FA, and I do not see Dempster in the rotation when he is signed, according to the mock. As for the trades, I seriously doubt Hellickson is had for that package, even if it was made to Tampa.
    The mocks were probably sent in before Melky signed.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Not a big fan of the Garza deal, the Soriano return is boring (though I like Markel), not enough for Hellickson, don't like Ludwick and/or those FAs as a whole...OTOH I do like going after Joba, BUT I would prefer Hughes' innings and ability to start if we're buying low on a Yankee arm.

Not a very good team, and I'm not a huge fan of it's future either.

They got screwed in their minds with Carpenter as the Theo comp
    According to who? Their fans who were asking for Garza or Castro? I like to think the Red Sox as an organization were slightly more realistic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Not a big fan of the Garza deal, the Soriano return is boring (though I like Markel), not enough for Hellickson, don't like Ludwick and/or those FAs as a whole...OTOH I do like going after Joba, BUT I would prefer Hughes' innings and ability to start if we're buying low on a Yankee arm.

Not a very good team, and I'm not a huge fan of it's future either.

According to who? Their fans who were asking for Garza or Castro? I like to think the Red Sox as an organization were slightly more realistic.
    They would think they were screwed because their comp immediately went under the knife with arm issues. So, maybe in your mind, you think its likely they'd trade with us again, for another pitcher with arm issues, before he's shown he'll hold up whatsoever. I seriously doubt they'd look at it the same way, until midseason and he's shown some semblance of health. Maybe another team takes a shot at the end of ST, wouldn't be them.
    Last edited by davell; 11-24-2012 at 12:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by davell View Post
    They would think they were screwed because their comp immediately went under the knife with arm issues. So, maybe in your mind, you think its likely they'd trade with us again, for another pitcher with arm issues, before he's shown he'll hold up whatsoever. I seriously doubt they'd look at it the same way, until midseason and he's shown some semblance of health. Maybe another team takes a shot at the end of ST, wouldn't be them.
    They also got Kurcz, who was excellent once again and should be ready for next year.

I'm also sure they were not unaware of Carpenter's history of arm issues, nor did going under the knife keep him out the whole year (he was back in September). Not only that, but he performed very well for them in the minors and still projects as a good pen arm.

I don't think the Red Sox would have any problems making a trade with the Cubs, that you are correct about. I was not addressing Garza at all, just this belief of yours that the Red Sox felt slighted by their compensation. I'm guessing I guessed correctly that this is based on the fans' expectations of what they were supposed to get.

vCash
    Joba wouldn't be able to be penciled into a starting rotation spot.

Not enough given up to get Hellickson and the lineup would probably struggle to score.

vCash
    Sign Haren, BJ Upton, Victorino, Madson, M Adams, and K. Johnson.

Trade Marmol for Hughes.

Trade Garza/Barney/Soriano/cash/+ for Castellanos, Smyly, and Porcello.

C Castillo
    1B Rizzo
    2B K Johnson
    SS Castro
    3B Castellanos
    LF Victorino
    CF Upton
    RF Jesus

Haren, Shark, Hughes, Porcello, Smyly

Madson, Russell, Adams, Camp, best 3-4 RP's out of ST

vCash
    You do remember Lucchino wanting to go back over everything as soon as Carpenter had to have surgery right? It's a lesson learned for them. Carpenter is one thing, he had tons of control left and didn't cost on field talent from them. Garza? One year of control, Cubs won't deal him without an excellent return. If you think the Red Sox would pull THAT trigger without him showing he's truly healthy, more power to you.

vCash
    I still don't get where you think I'm talking about Garza (I said it there if you finished reading my post), but you do remember that they didn't go back over everything right? Or that, again, both of those guys actually threw really well in the minors for the Red Sox? Both seem like strong candidates, especially Kurcz, to help the Red Sox's bullpen out next year.

If there is a fit, I do not see the Cubs and Red Sox having any problems making deals together.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast