Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Drummond should get more of max minutes ASAP....

Check out this article Drummond is beating max in every category but frank is still playing him 14mins a gm. Not to mention drummond is ranked top 10 rookie without getting half the minutes other rookies are getting seems like Detroit is holding him back article below source Detroit free press>>>>>> Most NBA franchises would love a magic elixir to keep fans interested despite losing eight of nine games to start a season. The Pistons just so happen to have one in Andre Drummond.

Drummond is still a ways away from being a consistent, reliable impact player. But so far, he has offered enough tantalizing potential to keep fans intrigued by the team, excited for the future and, most important, watching despite a terrible start to the season. Beyond that, though, he has been extremely productive in limited minutes and maybe deserves an increased role.

Complicating matters is the fact that incumbent starter Jason Maxiell, in a contract year, is having a pretty good season -- career-high averages in scoring, rebounding, blocked shots, free-throw percentage and the second-best field-goal percentage of his career. On top of that, his 15-footer has been more reliable, and he came into the season in fantastic shape. It’s difficult to make a case to bench a decent veteran in favor of a 19-year-old rookie who still has a lot of developing to do. But that’s exactly the call the Pistons are going to have to make, at some point.

Drummond’s stats won’t compare with Maxiell’s, simply because there is a significant discrepancy in minutes played. But their averages per 36 minutes paint a different picture:

Points per 36 minutes: Drummond 15.4, Maxiell 12.9

Rebounds per 36 minutes: Drummond 11.4, Maxiell 9.0

Blocks per 36 minutes: Drummond 2.4, Maxiell 2.0

Steals per 36 minutes: Drummond 1.9, Maxiell 0.2

Maxiell is shooting 54%. Drummond is shooting 68%. Looking at some advanced stats, via Basketball Reference, Maxiell’s Player Efficiency Rating (PER) is 15.7, Drummond’s is 23.8. Maxiell’s total rebound percentage (estimate of percentage of total available rebounds grabbed while the player was on the floor) is 14.2, Drummond’s is 18.0. Drummond has a better offensive rating (points scored per 100 possessions) and better defensive rating (points given up per 100 possessions) than Maxiell.

Maxiell is having a good season, by his standards. Most of his numbers -- both regular and advanced stats -- are at or near his career highs. And despite that production, Drummond still statistically has been the far superior player on a per-minute basis.

Certainly, there probably would be a few counterarguments the organization would make. Foremost among them is that Maxiell has played mostly against starters, while Drummond’s limited minutes have come mostly against second units. Maxiell’s experience probably comes in handy at times -- it’s a safe bet that he understands the offensive and defensive systems and game plans better than Drummond.

Beyond that, there probably are nonbasketball factors at play. Starting Drummond immediately thrusts a lot of attention on him, and the Pistons likely want to make that a more gradual process, letting him focus on learning the finer points of being a NBA player without the pressure of being relied on at such a young age.
    Last edited by mike 810; 11-18-2012 at 07:07 AM.

vCash
    Wow mike your a genius. I don't think anyone brought this up before.

vCash
    Dude cant even post links properly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24 View Post
    Dude cant even post links properly

vCash
    Thanks man I know
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket:24362107
    Wow mike your a genius. I don't think anyone brought this up before.

vCash
    LOLLLL he edited

dude can't even quote an article properly

vCash
    Such an awesome thread.

vCash
    Can't even quote people properly.

vCash
    I agree. Why isn't this guy playing more? I know they wanted to take it slowly with Andre, but he's proved that he deserves the playing time. He's not looking like a rookie, he's playing with energy and I love it when Andre and Greg are out there together. Go with Monroe, Drummond, Prince, Singler and Knight. Play your future and let them grow together (not saying Prince is "our future," but you know what I mean

"Lions, Tigers and Pistons, OH MY!" (and Hoosiers...and Redwings....)

vCash
    Drummonds gotta get used to playing zone defenses before we can start twin towers because the opposing teams are not going to let us get away with it they are going to play small ball.So I think once the team knows theres no shot at the playoffs then they will probably throw him in there and let him learn.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Oh, seriously, who gives fawk is somebody doesn't quote properly or mixes up a link. Let's talk about this issue he's bringing forward.

THIS TEAM IS NOT WINNING GAMES!!!! Why are we playing Maxiell? His numbers aren't as good as Drummon, and we need to see if Drummond can play... he's gotta get consistent minutes so he can develope as an NBA player.

This team can not get much worse than where it is right now (1-9? We have more losses than any team in the league right now).

Detroit has potentially the best young PF/C combo in the league in Monroe and Drummond... let's see if these guys are for real and see what kind of damage thay can do.

And fawkin amnesty Charlie-V already!
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RipCity32 View Post
    So I think once the team knows theres no shot at the playoffs then they will probably throw him in there and let him learn.
    We are 1-9.... there is no shot at making the playoffs with the rotation we have been using. It's time to throw the rookie in there and see what he can do.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    We are 1-9.... there is no shot at making the playoffs with the rotation we have been using. It's time to throw the rookie in there and see what he can do.
    Trust me im all for it,Im just trying to figure why they are not.

vCash
    Maybe we're finally tanking like everybody else does.

vCash
    Win or lose at this point doesn't even matter to me. I just want to see our young guys play and see their development. The vets aren't going to do us much more than be mentors.

Catches: 23 Yards: 210 TDs: 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast