Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    [QUOTE=As you've already said, this team has a lot of young, talented PFs. Before they spend a ton of money on a No. 2, I think this team should see what they have with Morris, Patterson, Motiejunas and Jones first. If one of those guys steps up, we might not need to spend a ton of money on a PF.

However, if no one steps up and the Rockets still have a hole at the No. 2 spot, I'd be perfectly fine with them getting Millsap or Jefferson. I'd prefer Millsap, but Jefferson should be find defensively next to Asik. West is someone who could come a lot cheaper and provide solid offensive value, but I don't know that he'll be a significant upgrade from the Rockets' current power forwards.[/QUOTE]

Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap game is boring, the Rockets haven't an exciting athletic player to watch since Steve Francis. I think Josh Smith can rejuvenate that lost piece of action we haven't had in awhile. Besides Al Jefferson's defense, I don't see him or Millsap being a real upgrade over Patterson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post
    Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap game is boring, the Rockets haven't an exciting athletic player to watch since Steve Francis. I think Josh Smith can rejuvenate that lost piece of action we haven't had in awhile. Besides Al Jefferson's defense, I don't see him or Millsap being a real upgrade over Patterson
    Then you don't get it. Sexy doesn't win championships. Are the Spurs sexy? Were the championship Mavs or Pistons teams sexy? No. Josh Smith has a sexy game, but he's not a very good offensive basketball player and this team needs an offensive No. 2. And if you don't think Millsap or Jefferson are upgrades over Patterson, then you are seriously overrating Patterson's game. They're monumentally better and it's not close.

vCash
    The 32 year old West makes 3 mil less and has a better PER than the younger Smith. SI.com just came out with Internet article about how Smiths outside shooting is killing the team. It states that Smith scores about 63% from 9 ft and in; but about 33% from 10 ft to 3pt line and about 26% from 3pt territory. Fine if he lived in the paint; but he doesn't. He loves shooting for distance. Ever since he has been the league he has had the rep of avoiding contact....West doesn't shy from contact and would kill us with that bank shot from 10 ft. The one thing I like about Smith are the blocks; but his rebounds are pathetic. Love Patterson;but 5rebs are not going to cut it. Ok for backup. Smith rebounds like that. West about 8 a game. Hickson get about 11 a game. Asik on one side and Hickson on the other. I like it. Lin drove the lane in New York and had Amare to dump off or kick it to pure shooter Novak. We don't have that. Asik had vice grip hands in Chicago, much better this year; but jury still out. Patterson tosses up soft stuff that is getting rejected when he should hammer it home. Hickson or West will or get fouled while trying. Again, I like Smiths blocks and would hope he could attack the rim with authority if Lin penetrates. If you research Smith, almost every article talks about him not living up to potential and taking way too many jump shots; which plays into the hands of the defender. I don't like lazy players. Lets hope he doesn't do that if we go for him. Free throws may be why he avoids contact. West use to be a very poor free throws shooter; but is 78% now. Smith shoots 43%. I saw we are 6th in NBA with free throws at about 78%....I may be wrong on that. That seems pretty low %. We can run plays through West which helps draw attention; which allows Harden to drive. With Smith he is going to do a fade away or step-back shot. Who ever we get I'm excited.
    Last edited by Jatman20; 11-26-2012 at 10:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Then you don't get it. Sexy doesn't win championships. Are the Spurs sexy? Were the championship Mavs or Pistons teams sexy? No. Josh Smith has a sexy game, but he's not a very good offensive basketball player and this team needs an offensive No. 2. And if you don't think Millsap or Jefferson are upgrades over Patterson, then you are seriously overrating Patterson's game. They're monumentally better and it's not close.
    Patterson is like our 4th or 5th option, if he was our 1st or 2nd option on offense he would average more points. Millsap and Jefferson are the Jazz top players. Patterson doesn't even feel like a for sure starter, so confidence may play a part in his game. Let's say Patterson try to take over on offense one game and end up with a shooting percentage like Lin's. Unlike Lin, he probably would be pulled out the starting line up and watching Morris start next game!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post
    Patterson is like our 4th or 5th option, if he was our 1st or 2nd option on offense he would average more points. Millsap and Jefferson are the Jazz top players. Patterson doesn't even feel like a for sure starter, so confidence may play a part in his game. Let's say Patterson try to take over on offense one game and end up with a shooting percentage like Lin's. Unlike Lin, he probably would be pulled out the starting line up and watching Morris start next game!
    But it's not a matter of if he's a No. 1 or No. 2 option, because Patterson will never be that kind of an offensive player. He's got a decent jump shot and a serviceable post game, but Millsap and Jefferson are superior offensive players with a superior repertoire of post moves. And above all else, they've far, far better at rebounding. That's one area of Pat's game that has to improve if he's ever going to be a long term starter in this league. Personally, I see Patterson as a Brandon Bass type, an undersized PF who plays decent defense and provides energy and an occasional offensive boost. Both guys can be your No. 4 or No. 5 guy on offense, but never a No. 1 or a No. 2.

vCash
    I agree with you mightybosstone. All guys have pros/cons. West is without Granger for most of this year and has everyone game planning for him. Age a factor. Josh Smith is taken out a crunch time because of 43% ft avg. hack-a-Smith. Hickson poor free throws but gets the 8 or more Rebs per game I want from my power forward. Millsap good all around game; no plays run thru him. Al Jefferson may be making 15 mil right now; so we have up his pay. Not good at guarding the power forwards that shot for distance. Asik will have to guard them. And he will be left on an island as well.
    Last edited by Jatman20; 11-27-2012 at 01:59 AM.

vCash
    Lets face it; Patterson plays only slightly above the rim. Which is ok if you are crafty like Scola or West on offense. Scola, West, and Patterson don't give you many blocks. The topic is Max contract for Parsons. Well I would try to get West for 11-12 mil (age) for 3 yrs with team option in 3rd yr. he will be 35-36 y/o at that pt. Millsap 10 mil yr. Al Jefferson will ask for 16 mil or greater. Dwight Howard will see Kobe getting 27-28 mil and want that. He makes 19 mil and I wouldn't offer any more than 22mil. I would rather spread it out on quantity (more players). Hickson we could probably get for 5-6 mil. Now Josh Smith FT % forces us to sit him in crunch time. You can't have one max player (Lin) sitting for defensive reasons and another max player sitting for offensive reasons in crunch time. That would be embarrassing!!
    We find out who we get in off-season. If its Dwight then Parsons contract stays the same...if its Hickson at 6 mil then I give Parsons 5-6 mil sometime next year.
    Last edited by Jatman20; 11-26-2012 at 07:10 PM.

vCash
    Utah will have a payroll of about 26 mil.before signing anyone next season. They can force us to overpay if we dont watch out. Don't know if Millsap or Jefferson want to leave Utah. If Utah wants them back. Is Kanter and Favors ready to step up. I see them offering Al Jefferson 18 mil.
    Last edited by Jatman20; 11-27-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123