Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatman20 View Post
    Heard the rumor of Josh Smith coming to Houston for months now since the Rockets have money next season for a Max player. In watching Smith I am disappointed with his game.
    No power in his game...thinks he is a small forward shooting 18 footers or greater and missing badly. Doesn't put-out with rebounds consistently. Hope Houston doesn't go after him. Morley is the type to look at his mins to shooting percentage/rebound/blocks productivity and I don't think we go for him.
    I think Josh Smith is playing frustrated basketball since he wants out of Atlanta so bad. An happy ball player is a better ball player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by astrosmaniac View Post
    they can't though. the way we did the contract is only for 2nd round or undrafted players with 3 years or less of nba service. parsons will have 4 when his contract expires
    I didn't know that, I though it could be for all 2nd round or undrafted players.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Lin and Asik have a back-loaded (poison pill contract): 5 mil yr 2012-13, 5.22 mil yr 2013-2014, and 14.9 mil yr 2014-2015. According to Hoopshype.com Houston payroll yr 2012-13 is 48 mil. Will be 39.7 mil next yr. and 51 mil 2014-2015. Next yrs sal.cap remains at 58 mil. Houston has the lowest payroll...next is Phoenix and Char with 57-58 mil. The tax level remains at 70 mil next yr.
    That's why I say we have money to spend on another Max player in the off-season. Future looks bright.

vCash
    You might be right CC Recruit. I was looking at players numbers; at the end they had player eff rating and Josh Smith was at 15.
    Lin was at 13, Felton at 15, David West 17-18 somewhere around there.
    Dwight Howard even higher; but Dwight gets 19 mil. West 10 mil, Hickson 3.5 mil (avg double/double). Can't remember Josh Smith salary. I would rather give money to West. J. Smith should be dominating every game every year. Just like Kwame Brown should have. Drive is important. If we get Smith....I hope he does more than just sit on his wallet.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure Lin and Asik won't be counting for 15 million each ever against our cap.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    I'm pretty sure Lin and Asik won't be counting for 15 million each ever against our cap.
    Isnt it 8 each season against the Cap? I'd give Chandler a 30 million dollar 5 year contract, he will be even a more important player if we can build a contending team, every championship team needs a player like Chandler Bang IMO.

vCash
    NY and Chicago didn't match Houston because of the contracts being back-loaded. Lin and Asik were restricted free-agents. If Lin can get 12 pts 8 ast this yr, 14pts 9 ast next yr, and then 16-17 pts 9-10 ast in the third yr. The contract will be worth it. The max player we get next year along with a couple of outside shooters off the bench should help Lin assist avg and point production. Any rebounds from him are a plus. So far Asik is playing all-star pace. Will see if he hits a wall. I not happy with Lins off-season conditioning/rehab of the knee; but once he gets stronger he should improve his eff numbers with more explosiveness and lift. At the moment Dwight Howard eff num is approx 22, Millsap 18, David West 18, Hickson 18, Josh Smith 15. I like the lineup of Asik, Parsons, Harden, Lin, and insert any of those free agents. Then set depth/backups that are on/off team currently.

vCash
    Sorry Hickson eff rate is 16-17 at the moment. Morey is doing a good job....a lot of risk setting this up. Getting Harden helps bring big name in off-season or help. Someone like Millsap or West still allows about 15 mil to spend on backup pt guard and backup center. Douglas needs to work on shot selection if we sign him again.

vCash
    The cap hit will be the average contract salary. So it will count 8/8/8 against the cap. If the Knicks or the Bull matched, it would count the actual contarct, 5/5/15. Thanks to Gilbert Arenas' rule.

vCash
    Even better....it spreads out the contracts evenly, instead of thumping us in the third year. We still have more to spend than most teams.

vCash
    Morey = Genius for locking up talented prospects dirt cheap for years.

Guys like Kahn have to trade for quality role players like Budinger right before they enter free agency just to get these kind of assets
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    You might be right CC Recruit. I was looking at players numbers; at the end they had player eff rating and Josh Smith was at 15.
    Lin was at 13, Felton at 15, David West 17-18 somewhere around there.
    Dwight Howard even higher; but Dwight gets 19 mil. West 10 mil, Hickson 3.5 mil (avg double/double). Can't remember Josh Smith salary. I would rather give money to West. J. Smith should be dominating every game every year. Just like Kwame Brown should have. Drive is important. If we get Smith....I hope he does more than just sit on his wallet.
    West is 32 and Smith is 26. Smith could play with the rest of our young players for years to come and West is headed towards his down slide soon. Plus Josh Smith explosiveness is something the Rockets been lacking of for awhile. Him driving the ball inside is a potential 3 point play every time. He just needs to take less jump shots. And Hickson is just another Carl Landry (maybe that's an overstatement), we need stars!!! And I think Josh Smith is that star, those other guys are just good players

vCash
    Sorry Hickson eff rate is 16-17 at the moment. Morey is doing a good job....a lot of risk setting this up. Getting Harden helps bring big name in off-season or help. Someone like Millsap or West still allows about 15 mil to spend on backup pt guard and backup center. Douglas needs to work on shot selection if we sign him again.
    Do you really think Hickson or West would make this team a contender o just better?

And we should give Douglas around 10 million, if he doesn't get a max contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    Do you really think Hickson or West would make this team a contender o just better?

And we should give Douglas around 10 million, if he doesn't get a max contract.
    No and no. Like I said, we don't need no more good players. We need stars, we need to have national coverage on TV, we need highlights on sports center, we need teams to have that fear of embarrassment when they come to the Toyota Center, etc. No more average players and no more playoff/8th seeds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post
    Chandler Parsons been playing really solid so far this year and I think the Rockets need to lock him in with a contract extension ASAP.
    As another poster said, Parsons is locked in for two more years after this. I've been preaching all offseason long that I think he's capable of being a 15/5/5 guy and that he has potential to be a better shooting Luol Deng. I just didn't expect him to show that kind of potential this early. That being said, they still won't look to extend his contract this early on. Perhaps after this year, they'll take a look at it, but my guess is it'll be sometime next season and he'll probably get somewhere in the 4 years, $35-$40 million range.

With Parsons being our guy for the future at SF, Harden at SG, Lin at PG, and Asik at C. I see Patterson being our weakest link in our starting line up (even though I really like Patterson solid play and Lin is actually our weakest link as of now).
    As you've already said, Lin is probably the weak link at this point. He's got to be the guy to step up and in no way is Morey completely sold on him yet as the team's future starting PG. He's got to prove himself worthy of being a starting PG before he's locked in as a franchise piece.

So with that being said, I think we should go after a PF with our Max contract and Josh Smith should be the guy. Al Jefferson would be my second option but with a little more development on defense, Patterson game will be the same or even better than his so that would be a waste of money. The Rockets are stacked with PF's that got tons of potential and if we miss out on Josh Smith, I would be perfectly fine with saving our Max and playing with our current PF's instead of unnecessary spending.
    I've said it so many times that I feel like I've become a broken record, but I want no part of Josh Smith and I doubt Morey does either. He's a great defender with a sexy, flashy game, but his detrimental play on offense negates a lot of his defensive impact. Someone will give him a max, and I really hope it's not Houston.

As you've already said, this team has a lot of young, talented PFs. Before they spend a ton of money on a No. 2, I think this team should see what they have with Morris, Patterson, Motiejunas and Jones first. If one of those guys steps up, we might not need to spend a ton of money on a PF.

However, if no one steps up and the Rockets still have a hole at the No. 2 spot, I'd be perfectly fine with them getting Millsap or Jefferson. I'd prefer Millsap, but Jefferson should be find defensively next to Asik. West is someone who could come a lot cheaper and provide solid offensive value, but I don't know that he'll be a significant upgrade from the Rockets' current power forwards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast