Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

League considering ban on cut blocking.

P
    in the wake of the acl-shredding hit by jets guard matt slauson on texans linebacker brian cushing, we reported that the competition committee will be taking a closer look in the offseason at blocks below the waist.

Peter king of si.com and nbc’s football night in america reports that the competition committee currently plans to consider eliminating all blocks below the waist. King believes the league office is “solidly behind” a comprehensive ban, but that resistance from coaches likely will prevent a full prohibition.

Instead, king believes that the chop block, which is legal in some situations, will be eliminated, and that downfield cut blocks (like the one that tore chiefs safety eric berry’s acl last year) will be banned.

As we explained last month, the cut block is as old as the game of football. It’s all physics. Small players can’t block larger players without taking out the legs of the bigger players. If the ban is passed, there will be no way to stop the biggest, strongest defensive players without double-teaming them, which will impact offensive output and, for one of the only times in the last 40 years, push the pendulum back to the defense.
    Last edited by Big_T; 11-23-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    "It's a Namaste. It means respect. It just means, 'I see the God in you.' It's me paying my respect to the game of football."
    -Arian Foster

Thanks Dodgersuck

vCash
    this is just laughable, I'll start watching MLS if this happens

they care about QB safety? This would increase the amount of sacks by so many, no more RBs cut blocking means more sacks on qb which means more qb injuries

lol

vCash
    I'm not a fan either. I started both sides of the line in high school and was the deliverer and recipient of many many cut blocks...it's hard for me to accept that, even now, there are more rules against contact in the nfl than there is in highschool. If guys don't want to get hurt they choose baseball or soccer. Football is for the meathead gladiator types, and they're taking it away from us.
    "It's a Namaste. It means respect. It just means, 'I see the God in you.' It's me paying my respect to the game of football."
    -Arian Foster

Thanks Dodgersuck

vCash
    this is actually big news for kubes offensive system if it goes through. our line cut blocks so much when we run the ball from side to side. this could be bad.