Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

No Black Friday Shopping to Fix the Bulls Woes

By DougThonus, today at 10:57 am

The Chicago Bulls dropped a winnable game to the Houston Rockets, collapsing after building up a large lead. Their defense was improved, but they couldn't find a way to score down the stretch. Sadly, quality offensive players aren't half off on the trade market today.
    Bulls lack athleticism

From the start of the season, the Bulls decided they'd attempt to win by outworking opponents. However, this approach is inherently flawed due to the lack of athleticism up and down the Bulls roster. Carlos Boozer, Rip Hamilton, and Kirk Hinrich are all poor to pedestrian athletes for their positions.

It's difficult to outwork teams with an athletic disadvantage at three of the five starting positions compared to most teams. Joakim Noah's probably the only player on the Bulls with a consistent athletic advantage at his position.

Things don't get all that much better on the bench where Nate Robinson is undersized, Belinelli's average, and Mohammed can barely move. Butler and Taj are quality athletes, but Butler's certainly not more athletic than Brewer and Taj is the same as last year. Overall, the Bulls lost athleticism on the bench as well.

The downward shift in athleticism on the roster makes the "effort" play difficult to consistently pull off.

Working with too small a court

The Bulls don't have enough shot creators to generate offense. Their lack of dynamic playmakers means they look to generate offense through efficient passing, ball movement, and strong fundamental offense.

However, the team also lacks consistent outside threats to space the floor. Without any outside shooting, the Bulls have to run their ball movement oriented offense with little space on the floor. Since the opponents don't really need to respect the outside shot of anyone on the team, they can jam the paint against the Bulls big men, and still easily recover on the perimeter players.

If the three facets of offense are slashing, shooting, and post ups, it's fair to say the Bulls are below average in all three. It's no wonder that the team frequently struggles to score. They do have excellent passing throughout the roster, but since no one on the team can really generate space easily that advantage is mitigated.

Things will obviously improve with a healthy Derrick Rose as they'll have one outstanding creator, but an effective offense really needs at least two of those three legs, and Rose still only gives them one.

Few options available

The Bulls don't have many options to fix the team. They really only have one wild card to play, and it's such a long shot, that they're likely better off sticking with the status quo. That said, if they want to mix it up, then their best bet is to bench Kirk Hinrich in favor of Marcus Teague.

Nate Robinson is playing well above Kirk's level, so he can't be benched at this point. However, throwing Teague into the mix gives the Bulls a big dose of athleticism and slashing. The problem, of course, is that Teague can't finish or defend, so while he has the raw tools the Bulls need, his complete lack of refinement probably will hurt more than it helps.

I wouldn't throw that hail mary just yet if I were the Bulls, but it's possibly the only option they have that changes the mix rather than just trying harder at what they're already doing.
    http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-bu...he-bulls-woes/

vCash
    Jesus. Start Marquis f'n Teague? The same guy who looked like he didn't even belong in summer league? The same guy who looked just as bad during preseason? The same guy who (albiet extremely small sample size) is shooting even worse than Hinrich has to start the year?

I was never a big fan of Doug Thonus, and certainly won't be after this article.

If you're going to bench Kirk (which I wouldn't agree with, at least right now), you do it for Nate.

vCash
    Teague can't be any worse than Kirk right now

vCash
    Sure he can. He can be Kirk without the defense and playmaking... just with some sick dribble moves!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHinrich12 View Post
    Jesus. Start Marquis f'n Teague? The same guy who looked like he didn't even belong in summer league? The same guy who looked just as bad during preseason? The same guy who (albiet extremely small sample size) is shooting even worse than Hinrich has to start the year?
    He states it's a hail mary and not an option the Bulls should consider primary, chill.

I was never a big fan of Doug Thonus, and certainly won't be after this article.
    That's fine, but I respect Thonus. He's one of the writers that actually knows what he's talking about. I didn't figure you'd like this one much, seeing as you're a big Kirk fan (that's not meant in a bad way) but I thought it was a good read nonetheless.

If you're going to bench Kirk (which I wouldn't agree with, at least right now), you do it for Nate.
    Nate is playing better than Kirk right now. I'd have to assume Nate would be bumped to PG and Teague to backup. I don't like it because we did sign Kirk for this same reason, but if we continue to lose, it's not crazy to try shaking something up.

vCash
    Kirk is terrible. What a waste of a signing

vCash
    "Bulls sticking with regular lineup"
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...tory?track=rss
    Last edited by Ak_47; 11-23-2012 at 05:31 PM.

vCash
    It has nothing to do with me being a fan of Kirk or not. The team comes first. Even with Kirk's struggles, he's still a hell of a lot better than Teague (at this point). Teague has done nothing through summer league, preseason or the (very) brief regular season time to even warrant the talk. Kirk is definitely struggling shooting the ball, but he is putting up career high AST% and still plays above average defense.

Thonus is just one of us. He is basically a forum poster who gets paid. Hell, he doesn't even know how to spell Marquis' name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHinrich12 View Post
    It has nothing to do with me being a fan of Kirk or not. The team comes first. Even with Kirk's struggles, he's still a hell of a lot better than Teague (at this point). Teague has done nothing through summer league, preseason or the (very) brief regular season time to even warrant the talk. Kirk is definitely struggling shooting the ball, but he is putting up career high AST% and still plays above average defense.

Thonus is just one of us. He is basically a forum poster who gets paid. Hell, he doesn't even know how to spell Marquis' name.

Thonus is a smart 'one of us'. Looking around at the demographic around here, calling him a 'forum poster' is quite the insult. And there are several "real" writers for papers and websites that spell things wrong, too. That's why they have editors that work for them. The guy does his homework; I've followed him for quite some time. He's not some random Bleacher Report schmuck.

Of course the team comes first. But the team is losing, and we're on pace to be a .500 team. As long as we're losing (and if we continue to do so), it is completely realistic what he said: it's a hail mary move (again, it's a hail mary move, it's not like this is what he's advocating as what we should do) that may or may not be a good shake up for the team, that's all.

The fact that you're getting this up in arms about it shows that you may not fully be getting that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosh View Post
    Thonus is a smart 'one of us'. Looking around at the demographic around here, calling him a 'forum poster' is quite the insult. And there are several "real" writers for papers and websites that spell things wrong, too. That's why they have editors that work for them. The guy does his homework; I've followed him for quite some time. He's not some random Bleacher Report schmuck.

Of course the team comes first. But the team is losing, and we're on pace to be a .500 team. As long as we're losing (and if we continue to do so), it is completely realistic what he said: it's a hail mary move (again, it's a hail mary move, it's not like this is what he's advocating as what we should do) that may or may not be a good shake up for the team, that's all.

The fact that you're getting this up in arms about it shows that you may not fully be getting that.
    Now don't go around putting words or intent into my mouth. I never said being "one of us" or a "forum poster" is an insult or anything bad. It just is, what he is. It's what we are. I never said he was dumb either. I just don't care for his writing/opinions/whatever you classify as them. It's his opinion, just like all of us do when we post on here. I think he's wrong. I don't really ever agree with the stuff he says. Is he free to have them? Absolutely. Am I free to disagree with them and state my own?

It would be a terrible move for the team.

vCash
    Teague has that one dimension our team is missing, you know, the one our whole team was built around but are without at the moment.

Teague's layups would most likely improve quickly if he had some playing time, I don't know about his jumper though but I'd guess that would improve as well. His defense is what it is but you know Thibs could work that out some. Teague still gets nervous when he enters the game so we really don't know what his game is at this point until he plays more minutes and develops comfort. I never seen him play in college so I don't know what his passing & awareness is like but that is the key thing we would need from him if we did bring him in. Dribble in while seeing the floor, layup or pass.

It's a hail mary move as mentioned but maybe if he just played 5-10 minutes a game in important minutes. I think we all liked what we saw from Teague when Hinrich was out considering I doubt he expected he would be bringing the ball down the court in the finals minutes of a game we didn't have won (in his first game).... I wouldn't be surprised if Hinrich got injured again though before long so Teague should get more time to prove himself. The only problem with that is, Teague could put up a 15, 5, 5 against the Heat and I doubt Thibs would play him after Hinrich\Nate healed up; I am starting to see Thib's stubbornness.

I liked this article as well as the one JordanBulls posted, though it got bashed too.

vCash
    The lineup/players aren't working so why not shake it up a little? What do we have to lose? Go for it

vCash
    Have boozer and rip play on the bench and start gibson and marco.

vCash
    I also think kirk needs to stay in the starting lineup, he plays good defense and the team is more stable with him at pg, we may not be a explosive offense but we are stable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bullishsince87 View Post
    Have boozer and rip play on the bench and start gibson and marco.
    So you want to put two guys who are averaging 14.5 points and 14.4 points a game on the bench and replace them with two guys who are averaging 4.8 and 6.6 points a game? Makes sense. There's no better way to win than being down double digits with two minutes to go in the first period.