Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Mvp

vCash

Mvp

What will Selig do if Braun is not voted MVP or even on some ballots?

vCash
    Nothing? He's not obviously the most valuable player in the NL. If he doesn't win it won't be a big deal.

Even if someone leaves him off the ballot completely there isn't anything Selig can do. It's BBWAA's award, not MLB's. Having said that, if any voter leaves Braun off their ballot they should lose their voting privileges.

vCash
    Nothing? He's not obviously the most valuable player in the NL. If he doesn't win it won't be a big deal.

Even if someone leaves him off the ballot completely there isn't anything Selig can do. It's BBWAA's award, not MLB's. Having said that, if any voter leaves Braun off their ballot they should lose their voting privileges.

vCash
    I agree that it won't even be noted. I think there will be some writers that will call others out, but MLB, and most likely the Brewers, won't say a peep. Best to just let it be.

I do think he has the numbers and it the Brewers had made it to the postseason, he'd for sure by my favorite, but right now I'd expect it to be Posey.

vCash
    Why Posey though? Is it because his team won their division, that would be a crock. I thought the award was most valuable player, not best player on a playoff team. Kemp should have won last year and Braun should win this year. If Braun gets red hot he could be
    3rd in BA
    1ST in runs - currently 2 behind
    1ST in hits - currently 4 behind
    1ST in RBI - currently1 behind
    1ST in HR - currently 5 ahead

vCash
    Let's make one thing clear, Braun has ZERO chance of winning the NL MVP award.

You can post stats all day long, it isn't happening. It's Posey because McCutchen blew it in the second half. Not to mention, the Pirates were the Pirates down the stretch. It isn't even worth an argument. It's awarded by individuals and those same individuals have continuously shown no use for players that have any, warranted or not, connection to PEDs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Let's make one thing clear, Braun has ZERO chance of winning the NL MVP award.

You can post stats all day long, it isn't happening. It's Posey because McCutchen blew it in the second half. Not to mention, the Pirates were the Pirates down the stretch. It isn't even worth an argument. It's awarded by individuals and those same individuals have continuously shown no use for players that have any, warranted or not, connection to PEDs.
    Well they did continue to vote for Bonds in the MVP voting.

I agree though, he has no shot at winning. Posey is going to win by a land slide.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    Why Posey though? Is it because his team won their division, that would be a crock. I thought the award was most valuable player, not best player on a playoff team. Kemp should have won last year and Braun should win this year. If Braun gets red hot he could be
    3rd in BA
    1ST in runs - currently 2 behind
    1ST in hits - currently 4 behind
    1ST in RBI - currently1 behind
    1ST in HR - currently 5 ahead
    Posey is at least within spitting distance of most of Braun's stats with one exception, Posey plays in a much more coveted defensive position and plays it at a very high level...remember, it's MVP not MV offensive P.
    Great American Baseball Tour: Brewers, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals ,Cleveland, Detroit and Reds

vCash
    ^^^Exactly. I have no problem with Posey winning the MVP, but Braun should be top 3 in pretty much every ballot.

vCash
    There is no doubting Braun had an amazing year, a MVP calibar year. I think if that if you thought Braun deserved the MVP last year over Kemp, than you have to logically say that Posey gets it over Braun this year. Braun's numbers are better than Posey's no doubting that/ But consider that Posey put up unbelievable numbers as a catcher and add in what he does that doesn't show up in the stat column (calling games for one of the best staffs in the nl) and I have to go Posey. It would be awesome if Braun won but being unbiased Posey should be a pretty easy choice.

vCash
    Posey likely will win but Braun should get some votes. There's always more than 1 player worthy of the MVP each year. I'd vote for Braun simply because his numbers appear better than Posey. The 0.1 difference in WAR isn't much and if Braun was better in defense that's where the gap would decrease.

I don't feel there's any need for outrage or doing anything if Braun doesn't get votes.

vCash
    I can say that I'm pleased with the way voting went. Braun got a lot of respect for the cloud that hung over him. Nobody left him him off their ballot and he wasn't lower than 4th on any ballot. I think it's safe to say that if he puts up big numbers again and the Brewers are successful behind him, he'll be in contention for a 2nd MVP.

vCash
    Yea I think everything went the way it needed to. I think Braun should have won the hank aaron award, but given the importance of the catcher on defense, and that San Fran made the playoffs, Posey had to win the MVP. The voters definately got it right, but if Braun didn't get second, then I would have taken issue. He and Posey were clearly the top 2 guys.

vCash
    No surprise. I'm ok with it. Posey and braun were so close so the edge has to go to the guy on a playoff team.