Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 122
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11,970
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    But you still have not given us players to play RF.
    Bourne, Choo, Ichiro, Cuddyer, Victorino, probably more Cashman knows about than me.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    7,073
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    Bourne, Choo, Ichiro, Cuddyer, Victorino, probably more Cashman knows about than me.
    Choo and Cuddyer seem to always have nagging injuries so I doubt they would replicate Swisher's 162 game ave.

    Ichiro won't and Victorino is in decline....
    Nick

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    22,694
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Choo and Cuddyer seem to always have nagging injuries so I doubt they would replicate Swisher's 162 game ave.

    Ichiro won't and Victorino is in decline....
    As for Bourne, it has another Carl Crawford situation written all over it. Speed inevitably fades away in players, and signing a player who bases the majority of their game around their speed is often a recipe for disaster.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    7,073
    vCash
    1500
    Actually I looked at Choo more in depth and really like this guy.....

    Ok, I am sold on Choo...He just had one bad season of nagging injuries...

    But what is he going to cost?
    Nick

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    7,073
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    As for Bourne, it has another Carl Crawford situation written all over it. Speed inevitably fades away in players, and signing a player who bases the majority of their game around their speed is often a recipe for disaster.
    Bourne is not needed with Gardy still here...
    Nick

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Enemy Territory, MA
    Posts
    176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    People want swisher gone for two main reasons:

    1- Playoff failures. Nobody cares about the regular season in ny in any sport. Perform in the playoffs or you suck. See: Arod.....and Arod even won us a WS by himself. But the other playoff failures outweigh it in NY eyes.

    2- Our other positions are on multi year lockdown. Hence, RF is basically the ONLY position we can make a change to shake it up a bit. So, Swisher is the fall guy.

    Add in the fact of the $189m.....then why in the world would we commit 8% of that annual total and pay elite money (15m per) to an average solid player like Swisher? Need to cut salary somewhere.
    Leo, a few things...

    1. I understand the failures of the post season argument, especially because it is happening in NY, but we don't get to the post season without him. Plus, it was a collective failure, not a singular one...like you said, it only takes one person to carry the team to a WS victory once you make the playoffs and no one on the team hit. NO ONE!!!

    2. I also understand that RF is our only position that allows for flexibility...if this is your argument, fine, then don't lobby for paying Hamilton a multi-year deal that is longer in years and worth more money than Swisher... that was one of the reasons I prefer Swisher if we can get him for 4/60.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,626
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by djall10 View Post
    Leo, a few things...

    1. I understand the failures of the post season argument, especially because it is happening in NY, but we don't get to the post season without him. Plus, it was a collective failure, not a singular one...like you said, it only takes one person to carry the team to a WS victory once you make the playoffs and no one on the team hit. NO ONE!!!

    2. I also understand that RF is our only position that allows for flexibility...if this is your argument, fine, then don't lobby for paying Hamilton a multi-year deal that is longer in years and worth more money than Swisher... that was one of the reasons I prefer Swisher if we can get him for 4/60.
    1- If only the regular season matters then Arod has been a phenomenal signing. Tex too.

    2- who lobbied for josh? I say offer him $30m for one year. I wouldn't pay that drugged fool $200m.

    Swisher for $15m a year is mind bogglingly dumb. Mariano, Andy, posada didn't even make more than that. C'mon now...
    Leo's Thought Of The Day


    Bummer. The Core Be No More.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Enemy Territory, MA
    Posts
    176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    And Bingo was his name-o!
    Thought you were on board with Hamilton by this post...

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    4,376
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    ^ I think ur missing the point. It's the years, not the loot. I'm sure they'd pay swisher a boatload for one year, but why in the world would u give him 4/5 years at $15 mil?

    That's just ********.

    Itchy can fill in just fine for one year. We won't miss the home runs and itchy will probably make up any lack of production in defense.

    As I always state.....f the stats. I know what I see. I'd take Itchy over Swisher for one year anytime.
    i get your point i just think were making two different ones.
    To me the AL east has gotten alot better this winter and is likely to improve even more. Our team is very old and some of our more important pieces are on a serious decline. I agree that paying Swisher 15m a yr for 4-5yrs is alot of money and their are probably better uses for our resources over that time, especially with his playoff struggles. I also have high hopes that one of our better prospects can take over RF in a yr or 2.

    My whole point is their are 3 teams that could easily be better than us next yr in our own division. Ichiro was very very good for us while he was here last yr but his speed and defense isn't going to make up for the hrs and rbi's that Swisher gave us for the last 4yrs.

    With the age of this team and rapid decline of many of our key players without someone who can make up for the regular season offense Swisher gives us I'm not sure were a legit playoff team. If were not a legit playoff contender what is the point of bring back guys like Pettitte, Mo and Martin or holding on to Grandy. Grandy could probably net us 2 legit high ceiling prospects that would really help in the rebuilding process were going to have to go through at some point.

    My whole point is i don't think our offense is good enough as it stands now to get us to the playoffs especially when u consider that were counting on a 39 yr old and 2 guys over 40 to play huge rolls in our pitching staff

    If we can't add some offense i would find better uses for the money that their likely to spend on Pettitte, Mo, and Martin and would definately look to move Grandy. If we didn't have those guys on the payroll it would move us below the 189 mark this yr and move up the yr we can spend serious money in FA.

    Leo u mentioned that u heard the Yanks were talking about a deal that would net us Morneau, Span and a 3rd player, i forget who. If they were able to pull something like that off that would give us the offensive boost we needed to make us a legit playoff team next and then it would make alot more sense to bring those key guys back for 1 more run at a WS title.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the Middle of the Map
    Posts
    14,284
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Ummmm.....in the 6 game World Series:

    Arod
    .423 obp
    6 RBI
    8 walks
    3 hbp

    Including that huge hr off hamels when we were dead at 3-0. Then that HUGE RBI double off lidge.


    Swisher batted .133 w 1 RBI.


    U smoking crack?
    Well, in game 3 Andy got us in a massive hole to start off the game, but Swish led the charge with a homer and double that got things going in game 3. Big moment changing game because we looked doomed because of Andy starting off horribly.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the Middle of the Map
    Posts
    14,284
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    I seriously think you're fking ********.
    Read post above.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the Middle of the Map
    Posts
    14,284
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    Bourne, Choo, Ichiro, Cuddyer, Victorino, probably more Cashman knows about than me.
    And which one of those guys is a better RFer than Swisher? Right, none. Really, you guys never give Swisher enough credit because of his bad postseason stats, but Swisher is still a top ten RFer in the game and no one available (I don't count Stanton or Upton because we have nothing to give up to get one of them) is an upgrade over him, all downgrades.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2
    vCash
    1500
    Baseball is supposed to be fun........Swisher is fun...he gets it....he is being paid millions to play and kid's game and he plays like a kid who loves it...I will miss him and still value what he contributed to the Yanks....remember, he was signed as a first baseman...then surprisingly Tex was signed...I think yanks got more value outta swish than Tex. and Swish got the Yanks to the World Series, which they won, in 2009....

    He is just a good guy....

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,657
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    ^ I think ur missing the point. It's the years, not the loot. I'm sure they'd pay swisher a boatload for one year, but why in the world would u give him 4/5 years at $15 mil?

    That's just ********.

    Itchy can fill in just fine for one year. We won't miss the home runs and itchy will probably make up any lack of production in defense.

    As I always state.....f the stats. I know what I see. I'd take Itchy over Swisher for one year anytime.
    I agree with this. Swisher is fine, he is not a franchise player, and you don't pay him like one in loot or years. Ichiro would be a solid replacement. Is he as good, no, but the drop off will not be as sever as everyone states. And as Leo points out, the defense will be better. He will also add an element that the Yankees do not have with Swisher in RF. Personally, if you sign him, Gardy is back and you get Nunez some playing time, suddenly you have some speed and electricty on the bases.

    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Ps. Thanks LL.
    Welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    also fans who only focus on the post season stats are morons to begin with, if they dont care what a player does during the regular season only the post season they have their right to think that way but that doesnt make them right and management shouldnt make decisions on what fans think is best for the team, make a move just for the sake of it.

    Teams dont need big ticket players to be contenders, when we won in 96 - 98 we had a lot of players who werent great but helped the team a la swisher
    Two points here:

    1) Its now becoming a trend for Swish -- he is just darn aweful in the post-season. He disappears. Year after year.

    B) The Yankees problem is NOT the regular season. We do well year after year, no matter who improves in the AL East, no matter what injuries we suffere, we do well. In march posters were posting "this is an 85 win team", but the Yanks finished with the BEST AL RECORD.

    Our problem is the post-season. I'll take Ichiro in the post-season over Swisher, 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday.

    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Unfortunately people on here never appreciated his regular season numbers and solely focused on just postseason stats for his overall value...
    See above.

    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    And which one of those guys is a better RFer than Swisher? Right, none. Really, you guys never give Swisher enough credit because of his bad postseason stats, but Swisher is still a top ten RFer in the game and no one available (I don't count Stanton or Upton because we have nothing to give up to get one of them) is an upgrade over him, all downgrades.
    The don't have to be "better" to be a "better option".

    *****

    I think people are really losing perspective here. Last year we did not just win the AL East, we had THE BEST RECORD IN THE AL.

    It wasn't a particularly difficult thing for this team to do, either. And most of our players had down years. For example:

    * Cano, while having a good year, was streaky and reverted to his old RISP-fail self.
    * ARod was terrible.
    * Tex had his worst year every.
    * Granderson, other then the HRs, was aweful.
    * Martin fought with the Mendoza line all year.
    * Nova wasn't very good.
    * Garcia was terrible.

    Add to the the litany of players who were injured:

    - pettite
    - CC
    - jeter
    -ARod
    -Swisher

    And out for basically the whole season:

    - Gardner
    - Pineda
    -Mo

    And you quickly realize, that if we bring back the same team, we will likely repeat last season.

    I'm not saying we shouldn't get younger, cheaper, more athletic, more flexible.

    But I am saying that this is still a very good regular season team, with or without Swisher.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

    [Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Enemy Territory, MA
    Posts
    176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Two points here:

    1) Its now becoming a trend for Swish -- he is just darn aweful in the post-season. He disappears. Year after year.

    B) The Yankees problem is NOT the regular season. We do well year after year, no matter who improves in the AL East, no matter what injuries we suffere, we do well. In march posters were posting "this is an 85 win team", but the Yanks finished with the BEST AL RECORD.

    Our problem is the post-season. I'll take Ichiro in the post-season over Swisher, 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday.
    You are right the "trend" is disheartening but your second point is off base...how long were we tied for the division lead or less than 2 games up??? A majority of the second half....we don't get to the post season without a complete lineup,

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •