Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drew_ellis_23 View Post
    Why the hell do we need 3 catchers. Montero hits better when he is catching too. We don't need Napoli. Swisher would be fine. Or trade for a OF. Napoli is not a need. He is a small upgrade over Lolivo and on the wrong side of 30.
    I highly doubt Montero turns into a catcher at this point

Are you kidding? Literally a rock with a bat might be more valuable than Olivo. It might walk more too. Olivo walked 2.2% last year.

Napoli isn't a need? Okay, maybe catcher isn't a need. But bats are a huge need, and we don't have a whole mess of proven ones.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    I'd have no issue having Jaso as a backup. He's a solid hitter but he has no power. Napoli is an upgrade to Jaso.
    I'm In.

vCash
    I just don't think it makes sense to get Napoli unless we also get another bat, and I don't see us doing that. Like I said, what we can spend is not the same as what we will spend. Why go spend all of our money on a position that may not need upgrading and leave RF to a half ****** platoon?

It doesn't make sense to put Jaso and Smoak out of a job when there are worse hitters in RF. we need bats, but we need an OF more. If we are willing to spend, then Swisher makes 100x more sense. If Smoak does figure it out and Jaso keeps killing righties, we just made a $50 million mistake.
    Last edited by jej; 11-23-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    John Jaso has never his lefties.

He OPS'd .400 last year against them.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Meant righties.

But that wasn't the point of the post. There were a lot of points and questions you ignored.

vCash
    I have no issue with Jaso catching for us. But theres no way im hitting him vs. lefties. I do think Napoli is a big upgrade over Smoak and I don't know of this front office can stand pat and hope Smoak hits.

I think if they sign Napoli, they've basically given up on Smoak.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Napoli isn't the kind of guy that you have platoon with Jaso tho. So once Zunino is up, both Smoak and Jaso are gone, and there still may be a hole in the OF. Why have extra guys on one or two spots when you have a hole elsewhere?

vCash
    Oops
    Last edited by Rain City; 11-23-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Duplicate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Do you really want to pay Napoli to be the small side of a catcher platoon?

And why do you like him more than Swisher?
    Clearly, no one thinks Napoli would only play as a catcher vs. left-handers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Napoli isn't the kind of guy that you have platoon with Jaso tho. So once Zunino is up, both Smoak and Jaso are gone, and there still may be a hole in the OF. Why have extra guys on one or two spots when you have a hole elsewhere?
    So... Smoak doesn't deserve a spot any more, what does he have to do to finally give up on him burn ur house down?

on a good team jaso is a situational player so I'm all for transitioning the roster to that being his role. If zunino outplays him it'll be a welcomed problem.

Maybe front office think OF can be good as is if we improve enough at 1b/c/dh... I still think will grab an OF, Napoli doesn't make that more difficult.

vCash
    Last edited by jej; 11-23-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Double

vCash
    Originally Posted by FWBrodie
    Clearly, no one thinks Napoli would only play as a catcher vs. left-handers.
    Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle4Ever View Post
    Napoli makes a lot of sense to me. Him and Jaso can platoon at C.
    Hmmmmm. yourself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    So... Smoak doesn't deserve a spot any more, what does he have to do to finally give up on him burn ur house down?

on a good team jaso is a situational player so I'm all for transitioning the roster to that being his role. If zunino outplays him it'll be a welcomed problem.

Maybe front office think OF can be good as is if we improve enough at 1b/c/dh... I still think will grab an OF, Napoli doesn't make that more difficult.
    You obviously didnt read what Ive said. If Napoli is all we get, and we dont get Swisher or someone also, its a bad move.

Napoli and Swisher put the payroll at like $90-92M. That might be all we are willing to spend, and we still have a hole in the rotation.

Stop thinking about what we can afford, and think about what we will afford, cause right now those are two different things until I see otherwise.

vCash
    How about we discuss nothin because we don't have say in what happens. I can't see how you'd complain about upgrading first and not RF. Yeah, there's a hole in RF but there's also a hole at first. When you have Zunino, Jaso and Napoli up in the majors, you stick Montero at DH, Napoli at first, leave Jaso as a backup or trade him.

At this point, I'd like to see SOME production out of first base. The easiest goddamn pisition in baseball. You can go snag a platoon bat for Wells or sign Swisher too. You keep saying that's not realistic or that's not what they'll do.

Here's some news for you...

None of us have a single ounce of say in what happens. So, you talking about how you don't think they'll sign both when they've said they're upping the payroll from last year and can afford both is just annoying. You're acting like its a huge stretch for them to get both players. It's not like we're talking Signing Greinke and Hamilton.

I'm getting tired of talking about the same **** and arguing the same **** every day.

Here are the facts.

Josh Hamilton is better than Nick Swisher.
    Nick Swisher is a perfect fit for LH
    Mike Napoli is an upgrade over Smoak
    John Jaso can be traded if we have too many C
    We do not have a logjam and would not have a logjam if we signed Napoli. We'd have two productive hitters out of Napoli, Smoak, Jaso and Montero.

Sorry, I'm just tired of us "not reading what you're saying."

This discussion has exhausted itself.
    Last edited by Ian.; 11-23-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Sorry, I thought this was an offseason discussion thread.

Maybe if you read what I said and didnt automatically assume its wrong or whatever because of some grudge or something against me, then I wouldnt have to say it.

How about people think how they want, not how Brodie and Ian and stuff want you to think. The point of discussions is to do just that, discuss. If everyone agreed all the time, there wouldnt be much to discuss now would there?

If everyone just treats everyones opinions equally and doesnt have some bias for whatever reason, these discussions would go better. I could say the same thing as S4E, and I would get flack for it, while he wouldnt. Especially from Brodie who seems to try to argue with me every chance he gets.

Your post was a perfect example. Directed at me because I think differently. And even tho Drew and MC have both agreed with me, no one says anything to them
    Your not the only one who is tired of stuff Ian.
    Last edited by jej; 11-23-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast