Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yeah my thoughts exactly. It's an upgrade but not by much

vCash
    Actually, I really don't want him. He just makes a logjam, doesn't really fill a hole. He has been pretty equal against both sides for his career, but couldn't hit lefties at all last year.

So either Smoak is out, or what? The 4 splits time? I'm trying to figure out how it would work.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Man I hope we don't sign Napoli. Seems like a Bavasi move to me. We need OF's. Not another 1B/DH/C. Smoak, Montero, and Jaso are good enough, and Zunino is coming. We have nothing in the OF. Napoli at 4 years and probably 60 million sounds gross.

vCash
    I don't think it does work. My feeling is if Napoli comes in Smoaks out.

vCash
    Honestly, I think Smoak dreams of becoming Napoli at this point.

Is Smoak out of options?

This also allows for Montero to be sent down if needed.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Honestly, I think Smoak dreams of becoming Napoli at this point.

Is Smoak out of options?

This also allows for Montero to be sent down if needed.
    Montero doesnt need to get sent down. And he shouldnt get sent down. At this point if he struggles you let him work through it. He has nothing to prove in the minors. Smoak on the other hand needs some work, but not enough that you bring in Napoli. I think that will blow up big time. He has had success in deep lineups with other good hitters in hitters parks. Bring him here as our best power option and he will be horrible. He is the best hitter to pay attention to us so I hope we don't throw money at him for that reason alone. We have money to spend but lets not spend it just to spend it. Might be better off waiting until next season.

vCash
    I think if we get Napoli we have to look to trade montero for an OF. Makes no sense to start montero in triple A IMO.

Smoak has another option and Napoli is a healthy upgrade.

I don't really understand how we consider going 4 years for Napoli when swisher is on the market, he fits much better.

vCash
    You say that now but if Montero struggles and can't work through his issues at the ML level, there's no sense having him bomb up in the majors.

They can send him down to try him out at first.

I'm 100% against trading Montero. There's not one player mentioned available I'd trade him for. Mainly because it'll require more than just Montero in a trade.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Also, I think they can sign Swisher and Napoli and be fine.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Napoli is behind Hamilton and Upton at this point, by far. And you know how I feel about them.

All the talk about if Smoak and Montero struggles is fine, but what if they don't? What if we are paying 10M or whatever a year for someone we don't need and just creates a log jam.

I would MUCH rather overpay for Swisher than go with Napoli. He can still play 1st, but also fills what we need much better.

vCash
    Why can't they sign both Jej?

Worry about a logjam when the time comes. Not when you have two of the three that can't put together a good season to save their lives.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Also, I think they can sign Swisher and Napoli and be fine.
    See I think there's a difference between can and will. We can spend whatever we want. But we don't seem to want to.

Two 4 year deals with people on the wrong side of thirty doesn't seem to fit what we want to do. I love swisher, but not a fan of Napoli.

If signing both these guys means we are at out limit, it's a waste. They aren't the kind if guys that turn a team around, but they would have to since we can't afford anything else.

If Smoak and Montero both play well, what happens then? 4 people sharing 3 spots when they is a unfilled hole in the OF?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    See I think there's a difference between can and will. We can spend whatever we want. But we don't seem to want to.

Two 4 year deals with people on the wrong side of thirty doesn't seem to fit what we want to do. I love swisher, but not a fan of Napoli.

If signing both these guys means we are at out limit, it's a waste. They aren't the kind if guys that turn a team around, but they would have to since we can't afford anything else.

If Smoak and Montero both play well, what happens then? 4 people sharing 3 spots when they is a unfilled hole in the OF?
    What are the chances of smoak playing well tho seriously, gmz has every right to upgrade over him.

I think a Napoli and swisher signing can work out well even at their age as long as our young players get better.

vCash
    What I like about signing free agents is we keep our specs.

Especially when you have 3 stud pitchers, chances are not great that all 3 of em pan out, this way we don't run the risk of trading the wrong one and during the season the trade market will open up more opportunities anyways.

vCash
    I think it makes more sense to get one from trade an one from FA.

I don't want to "upgrade" over Smoak with someone who really isn't that great, but will he paid like he is because of 2011. He is a good player, but not for us. A 4 year deal when we may end up having better options doesn't make sense. If we are willing to spend and give out a 4 year deal, then what argument is there for Napoli over Swisher?

If we can get both, then fine. But id rather go Swisher and someone thru trade than Swish and Napoli. To me, Napoli is a desperation move. There are better options for the price.

Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast