After the injury to Gronk I have seen multiple articles arguing for the elimination of the field goal in extra point attempts. I personally like the current NFL scoring system, but I don't like how easy the field goal from the 2 yard line is.
What can be done to make this more difficult yet not make it impossible to go for 2 if need be? Here are some options I thought of, what can you guys think of?
Let me point out that I'm not concerned about injuries on the PAT. I've just noticed that the subject has been brought up since the injury to Gronk occured.
1. Make extra points start at the 10 yard line instead of the 2. Field goal success rates fall a few percentage points so it is not as automatic, and it would still be very possible to go for 2 from the ten yard line.
2. Make teams drop kick the ball rather than kick field goals. Drop kicks are legal right now, but nobody ever does it. Well other than Doug Flutie. You could keep the 2 yard line or move the line of scrimmage back to the 5 possibly.
3. Force teams to always go for 2 like college overtime rules after the third overtime I believe.
4. Make the person who scored the touchdown kick the extra point.
5. Kick the extra point from the line of scrimmage of the touchdown scoring play.