Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Fact or fiction: Tracy McGrady should still be an elite player

You look at Kobe Bryant, who at 34, readjusted his play to be a more ground game, from his high flying days.

Tracy McGrady, 33, is out of the league. He was arguably just as good as Kobe in the early 2000s. You rewrite the 2000 offseason and put Duncan on the Magic, they would be in the Finals with the Lakers every year. But Tracy never had the work ethic to put in practice time and learn how to age, despite his injuries.

The question is, if he learned to age like Kobe did, would he still be an elite SG?

vCash
    lol Tmacs injuries make Kobe look completely healthy in comparison. There is only so much you can adapt, that Tmac actually lasted as long as he did was pretty impressive. At least he lasted longer than his Doc told him he would.

If Tmac still had a decent first step like Kobe does he would still be an All-Star. Hell if he could at least get back to that low dribble stance before the back spasms, he would still be a force. Have you seen Kobe play through back spasms? Its not pretty, he dribbles really high and seems stiff off the ball.

Tmac worked on his game, it may have been more athletic based than Kobe's but that doesnt mean he didnt have the work ethic or the skill to last.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 11-25-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Deleted insults

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    stupid thread

vCash
    His done. Get over it

vCash
    Fact or Fiction: NYSpirit1 makes dumbass threads.

vCash
    T-Mac took such a beating in his career. That's why I love him so much; he was out there every night, even on some awful Magic teams, giving his all.

I'm not really sure what this thread means. "Should" he be? This isn't a terribly good thread.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB-Pau-DH2012 View Post
    Fact or Fiction: NYSpirit1 makes dumbass threads.
    i think we all know the answer lol

vCash
    I love the criticism for this thread, when 'should', clearly means if he had the work ethic, would he still be good.

It's not a means for baiting.

It's a simple question. Tracy McGrady was known not to work as hard as other players. His coaches criticized his work ethic and even has been quoted before as saying he didn't practice hard at times because of his physical gifts.

And 33 isn't that terribly old. Garnett, Duncan, Nash, Pierce and Kobe are all still All-Star caliber at even later ages.

vCash
    Long story short another "if" thread

vCash
    Tracy lacked the work ethic, determination, and drive to be a great player. Kobe is just at another level when it comes to his peers. The only other player from his draft class still playing in the league and playing at a high level is Nash.

What did T-Mac add to his game every off-season like Kobe did?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    It's a simple question. Tracy McGrady was known not to work as hard as other players. His coaches criticized his work ethic and even has been quoted before as saying he didn't practice hard at times because of his physical gifts.
    He didn't have Kobe's work ethic, that doesn't mean he didnt have good work ethic. Hes been praised by other players as well, he and Udonis had the same trainer and both gave him a ringing endorsement IIRC. Because of his back, his offseason workout regimen is more complicated than most.

PS You know who else hated practice? Bill Russell, you know, the greatest winner in this sport.

If you were to ask Tmac, Im sure he would honestly rather have Kobes health than his work ethic.

And 33 isn't that terribly old.
    With his injuries and coming into the NBA early make him really old.

Garnett, Duncan, Nash, Pierce and Kobe are all still All-Star caliber at even later ages.
    Nash didn't get any run early in his career, Garnett and Duncan are still 7ft tall. Pierce has a game that ages well but Id love to see all the players you mentioned after suffering from back/knee problems as bad as Tmac has had. Hell Id settle to see those guys suffering from just 1 one of those problems.

We saw how much KG declined after a less serious knee injury, imagine him going through MF and having back problems he has to account for.

Your criticism is deserved, this is not an apples to apples comparison here. At first I felt bad for my combative post but it seems your reputation is well deserved.

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kbtwofour View Post
    Tracy lacked the work ethic, determination, and drive to be a great player. Kobe is just at another level when it comes to his peers. The only other player from his draft class still playing in the league and playing at a high level is Nash.

What did T-Mac add to his game every off-season like Kobe did?
    This makes no sense, if Kobe is on another level then why would Tmac need his work ethic to be a great player if there have been plenty of great players without Kobes work ethic?

Since you know so much about Kobe/Tmac, why dont you tell us what both added every year and what they did during the offseason?

vCash
    It must be nice to see the tail end of someone's playing days and judge how their entire career should've, could've would've gone.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Someone should make this thread asking if Grant Hill should have been an All-Star after his injuries, in spite of his injuries.

vCash
    It's such a shame he had so many injuries. Tmac was an immensely talented player. I always enjoyed watching him. I loved when he and Kobe would compete against each other. I honestly wish he was a Laker right now. He is still far better than any backup SF on our team. I wish him the best success overseas.

GO LAKERS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast