Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Plan B, Boehners Bill, Does Not Have Enough Support

The morning after bill, will not be voted on. It appears the Speaker of the House has lost control of his own caucus. He pulled his own bill. This jam we are in goes back to a policy that Denny Hastert instituted, when he said that nothing goes through the House without a majority of the majority.

This means, there will be no agreement until after January 3 when Boehner gets reelected to the Speaker position. Then we can actually have compromise. It also means that Boehner's negotiation with the President have been BS.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    Sadly, I'm not surprised.

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

vCash
    MSNBC

An article about it

Updated 8:16 p.m. ET -- Lacking enough support to pass a backup proposal to avert the "fiscal cliff," House Republican leaders on Thursday night pulled from the floor a vote on 'Plan B' legislation that would have preserved Bush-era tax rates for all earners making less than $1 million but raised rates on the country's top earners.

"The House did not take up the tax measure today because it did not have sufficient support from our members to pass," House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said in a statement. "Now it is up to the president to work with Senator Reid on legislation to avert the fiscal cliff. The House has already passed legislation to stop all of the January 1 tax rate increases and replace the sequester with responsible spending cuts that will begin to address our nation's crippling debt. The Senate must now act."

Boehner and other GOP leaders had firmly indicated earlier Thursday that they had sufficient support to pass the Plan B legislation, along with another package of spending cuts. "We're going to have the votes to pass both the permanent tax relief bill as well as the spending reduction bill," House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., told reporters at a press conference at the Capitol."

But a breakdown became evident after the GOP-dominated House only narrowly passed the package of spending reductions, which was intended to replace automatic defense cuts, or "sequestration." That measure, meant to encourage possible conservative dissenters to support the tax proposal, squeaked to victory by a margin of 215-209, with twenty-one Republicans voting against the bill.

The House then immediately went into an unexpected recess, with members huddled behind closed doors before announcing the end of votes for the evening.

Boehner proposed the "Plan B" legislation Tuesday, saying that it would provide a backstop to prevent middle class tax rates from jumping. But the measure was panned from both sides, with the White House calling it a political ploy that would be subject to a presidential veto and Senate Democrats pledging that it would not even be taken up for a vote in the upper chamber.

Tax watchdog Club for Growth also urged Republicans to vote "no" on the measure, as did conservative group Freedomworks -- which originally supported the Plan B effort before abruptly switching to opposition on Thursday afternoon. The socially conservative Family Research Council also scolded that "Congress should know better" before the vote.

The House will now recess for the Christmas holiday, leaders said. Members have been advised that the House will return "when needed" before the end of the year.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    What a disaster. Just awful leadership by Boehner.

Hopefully they somehow are able to get something worked out. But I'm not holding my breath.

vCash
    Just tired of it all at this point Cab.

Its so STUPID.
    raising taxes above 250 will not hurt the economy.

At the same time we simply must raise the retirement age for benefits, why that is even an arguing point is assinine.

When we institued these benefits the average lifespan was about 10 years less then it is now.

I dont see how making people either means test their need ,or work longer to enjoy those benefits is such a betrayal of the program.

Our efforts WORKED.
    Now adjustments MUST be made.

acceptance of those two realities is inevitable and the constant nonsense back and forth is just so disappointing I can hardly pay attention anymore.

This along with the inevitability of socialized medicine is pointless to continue arguing.
    Medical cost will continue to outgrow everything else.
    every effort to slow that will ultimately fail, its just a matter of time.

raise taxes
    raise retirement age
    socialize medicine

problem solved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    The morning after bill, will not be voted on. It appears the Speaker of the House has lost control of his own caucus. He pulled his own bill. This jam we are in goes back to a policy that Denny Hastert instituted, when he said that nothing goes through the House without a majority of the majority.

This means, there will be no agreement until after January 3 when Boehner gets reelected to the Speaker position. Then we can actually have compromise. It also means that Boehner's negotiation with the President have been BS.
    Some really really messed up politics by the GOP leadership lately. Both Mitch McConnell and Boehner are first for and then against their own bills. If I was a GOP House member I gotta think we could have a better choice for Speaker going forward. What are the chances Eric Cantor is Speaker next session?

edit: I can see the majority of the majority thing from a GOP perspective. But it does leave the House subject to the whims of the crazy 26%.
    Last edited by IndyFan; 12-20-2012 at 08:58 PM.

vCash
    How inept are these morons? These fools should all be fired.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    How inept are these morons? These fools should all be fired.
    Actually, that very thing might happen. Boehner has officially lost control of his caucus, Majority leader Eric Cantor has been positioning himself to stab him in the back. This might be it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    Actually, that very thing might happen. Boehner has officially lost control of his caucus, Majority leader Eric Cantor has been positioning himself to stab him in the back. This might be it.
    If they fall for Eric Cantor, then they are stupider than I think. He is a snake and nothing more. I live in the district that shares a border with his and I can't figure out how the people I know keep voting for him.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    If they fall for Eric Cantor, then they are stupider than I think. He is a snake and nothing more. I live in the district that shares a border with his and I can't figure out how the people I know keep voting for him.
    really, interesting. Not the way he always seemed to me. I only see him on the news, but he always seemed a true believer. As opposed to Boehner who seemed the prototypical go along/get along politician.

vCash
    I'm just sick of these politicians. Both republicans and democrats.

There should be no reason why a deal isn't done right now. They had how long to work and compromise and get a deal done? Then decide to wait until the last minute?

Stock market dropped like over 250 points on this news. If a deal doesn't get done, this country is going to go in a pretty serious recession.

vCash
    go over the cliff. then give a big middle finger to republicans. We get defense cuts, taxes rise on everyone. Dems can then cut them for the middle class only. Republicans get blamed. They panic come back to the table and Obama gets more than he is getting now in concessions. Republicans do nothing country goes to ****. Republicans become a politically extinct party. Win win for us Dems. Time to get off Norquist butt and the tea party ideology. FYI it's not a cliff even if we go over. The economy wont tank the following day. Its a slope that will take weeks.

vCash
    ...big fan of everyone's couth with their political insight, except for the freedom to work thread and the fiscal cliff thread, however I want the cliff--I want no more tax breaks for anyone--I want both thug unions, err political parties, to rot. Why, because I can go to history and facts and prove that both political empires have taken my country down. Any argument for or against both treasonous factions and their constinuents are self-serving "thugs". IMO, and hopefully others in the future, we can take our country back from the corporatist, authoritarian regimes. I def need someone who "raises" taxes but gets rid of all the riff-raff taxes, which lowers taxes. Tired of the takers from both sides, when no-one advocates for the non-takers. We are the makers because we pay for everyones pet project. Make something with my scratch---including putting folks to work. Both parties are "unions" that are unreliable, inconsistent, and IMO do not put America first.
    Last edited by Jester4k0; 12-20-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    Offseason To Do List:
    1. Make an offseason to do list.
    2. Get some tips on the ladies from Clark the Cub.
    3. P90X with Prince Fielder.
    4. Compile top ten list of top ten G.O.A.T. top ten lists.

That Ain't No Bat. That A Kickstand!

vCash
    Damn...Obama, Reid, and Pelosi are abusing Boehner and Cantor. It's a sad day for America
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    Ehh.. Probably something pretty major needs to happen so this country wakes up. Doubt the cliff does that, but at the rate we're going it won't be much longer anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast