Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I expect to have another huge year to be honest.. His situation is similar to Jose's where the improvements seen had a lot more to do with change in approach than plain circumstances

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    I expect to have another huge year to be honest.. His situation is similar to Jose's where the improvements seen had a lot more to do with change in approach than plain circumstances
    Hitting in the suddenly improved lineup that was top 3 in runs scored before Bautista went out with an injury is also a plus.

vCash
    It was about 2 things with Encarnasion. He always had the ability to hit but was never given a proper oppertunity.

1) He couldnt concentrate in hitting while throwing balls into the stands playing at third base

2)Health was an issue with him as well. Finally healthy and given the oppertunity we can see what he can do.

Id try and keep him off the turf and give Lind some time at first but he too has back issues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Converged View Post
    What are people expecting from him in 2013?
    35 HRs, .385 wOBA, .140 wRC+ ...and I don't care how many RBI's he gets.
    Last edited by mtf; 11-23-2012 at 01:01 AM.

vCash
    Agree with most of the sentiments here, he's always been a hitter and has a good eye, just had to get comfortable and find his place. I expect another solid season from EE.

vCash
    i wouldnt be suprised if most of our players saw a bit of a power dip, just because of all the speed we added to this team, we could be scoring runs alot differently this year

having said that EE will probs hit around 25-30 hrs
    Blue Jays 2013 world champs, just watch

vCash
    I would be really disapointed if EE cant put it together again next season. He was a threat similar to Bautista the year before. I cant imagine if they are both hot at the same time... In addition to the rest of our lineup I really think we should be a playoff team.

If Lind can start to wait for his pitch like EE last season we could see a turnaround in him as well.

So much potential next season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    You still have to capitalize on the opportunity.
    Yes you still have to capitalize. However, players with low batting averages with runners in scoring position who have many opportunities to drive in players will still have a high RBI total, where someone who has a high batting average with runners in scoring position but say hits 6th/7th or has no one infront of him will have lower RBI's. RBI's are terrible because its a counting stat, its based on opportunity, and dependent on your base runners. It does not show the value of a player offensively.

Joe Carter was a mediocre player, yet he continued to get 100 RBI's throughout the entirety of his career as he was batted in the 3 hole with great lineups infront of him. In 1990, he had a wRC+ of 80, a wOBA of 298, and a WPA of 107, yet he had 115 RBI's because of the amount of opportunities he had.

This is why RBI's are a terrible stat. I have no idea how someone can defend it as there are a abundance of statistics that actually are able to measure a players success at creating runs, not counting how many times a player was lucky enough to have a player on base when he came to bat
    Last edited by Farsight; 11-23-2012 at 12:58 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramantula View Post
    i wouldnt be suprised if most of our players saw a bit of a power dip, just because of all the speed we added to this team, we could be scoring runs alot differently this year

having said that EE will probs hit around 25-30 hrs
    How does having more speed have anything to do with how much home runs EE hits?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    Yes you still have to capitalize. However, players with low batting averages with runners in scoring position who have many opportunities to drive in players will still have a high RBI total, where someone who has a high batting average with runners in scoring position but say hits 6th/7th or has no one infront of him will have lower RBI's. RBI's are terrible because its a counting stat, its based on opportunity, and dependent on your base runners. It does not show the value of a player offensively.

Joe Carter was a mediocre player, yet he continued to get 100 RBI's throughout the entirety of his career as he was batted in the 3 hole with great lineups infront of him. In 1990, he had a wRC+ of 80, a wOBA of 298, and a WPA of 107, yet he had 115 RBI's because of the amount of opportunities he had.

This is why RBI's are a terrible stat. I have no idea how someone can defend it as there are a abundance of statistics that actually are able to measure a players success at creating runs, not counting how many times a player was lucky enough to have a player on base when he came to bat
    Yup, Carter is a good example, I've used him a few times to explain why RBI's are a terrible way to evaluate a hitter. Hell, Joe got HOF votes based on his RBI totals and when you look at his career numbers, it's almost embarrassing that people gave him votes. Basically, the easiest and quickest way to explain it is-

Player X gets 300 AB's with RISP

Player Y gets 100 AB's with RISP

Player X is almost guaranteed more RBI's even if his average,OBP and home run totals are average or below average. All based on opportunity and certainly doesn't give him more value than player Y. It's just a stat that's based on good or poor decision making by the manager.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    You are correct. It might affected his RBI total, but thats a useless stat anyways ;p

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Yup, Carter is a good example, I've used him a few times to explain why RBI's are a terrible way to evaluate a hitter. Hell, Joe got HOF votes based on his RBI totals and when you look at his career numbers, it's almost embarrassing that people gave him votes. Basically, the easiest and quickest way to explain it is-

Player X gets 300 AB's with RISP

Player Y gets 100 AB's with RISP

Player X is almost guaranteed more RBI's even if his average,OBP and home run totals are average or below average. All based on opportunity and certainly doesn't give him more value than player Y. It's just a stat that's based on good or poor decision making by the manager.
    Summarized my thoughts exactly. There's a reason why Ryan Howard continues to get so many RBI's a season ;p. Still a better player than Joe Carter though

vCash
    .275/.365/.530

That would seem reasonable imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    In theory, having speed in the bases helps in that pitchers might throw a few more fastballs in order to give the catcher a better shot at throwing a runner out should he try to steal. So if EE or JBau are looking dead red, there may be a few more good pitches to hit.

I don't have numbers to back it up but this is what the baseball experts will say happens as a result of having speed on the bases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    It was about 2 things with Encarnasion. He always had the ability to hit but was never given a proper oppertunity.

1) He couldnt concentrate in hitting while throwing balls into the stands playing at third base

2)Health was an issue with him as well. Finally healthy and given the oppertunity we can see what he can do.

Id try and keep him off the turf and give Lind some time at first but he too has back issues.
    Actually, he got into tremendous shape and he revamped his swing/approach working with the same guy Cano does. That is what really caused him to improve so much. He has a tonne of power and his balance at the dish was amazing last year. If he woeks on his body again and comes into camp in great shape, I expect another VERY good season from EE.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast