Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Meh. Somewhat overpay.

Ross wants 3/27MM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    yeah but i expected something like 2 years, 6-8 million, not 10!
    So that extra $1 million a year is the killer for ya huh?

Personally, I'm also surprised it's that high, but I'm also not going to lose any sleep over it. And extra million or two a year isn't going to sink this team, and its not too much to be eaten in either a trade or cut.

vCash
    Whatever id rather overpay for 2 years than take a platoon for 3 years at this point. Good move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    2,3 or 4 in the lineup?

Jeez, I was picturing him at 6 or 7, have some pop and walk ability near the bottom of our lineup, especially as a platoon player.

And I'd definitely put him and Kalish as a platoon in LF, neither has the speed or range to play RF in Fenway.

Plus, Gomes 2012-to-career zone rating in LF is 12.53-11.41, in RF its 7.44-3.63. He is significantly better in LF than in RF.
    I was just talking his history. His OBP is too good to bury at the #7 slot IMO.

UZR sucks balls for 1 year comparisons. Go look at his career marks at RF and LF in FG and BR - as close to the same as you can get.

BTW Gomes played 3 games in RF last year, c'mon man....

BR career:

-35 runs in LF (327 games)
    -16 runs in RF (145 games)

FG career:

-13.1 UZR/150 in LF
    -13.2 UZR/150 in RF

If he's going to get paid $5M a year for two years, that suggests he'll be more than a platoon guy.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 11-21-2012 at 09:59 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Wow, that is an overpayment.

Oh well, not my money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JMP83 View Post
    So that extra $1 million a year is the killer for ya huh?

Personally, I'm also surprised it's that high, but I'm also not going to lose any sleep over it. And extra million or two a year isn't going to sink this team, and its not too much to be eaten in either a trade or cut.
    I figured the deal for $5.5-6.5M for 2 years so that's an extra ~$2M IMO.

Funny how so many people are cool with overpaying this guy or that guy. Can you imagine BB behaving like that?

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Who is BB?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Whatever id rather overpay for 2 years than take a platoon for 3 years at this point. Good move.
    x2, no matter how much I like Ross we have to start looking towards the future payroll more. If we save 2-4 mil and he comes off the payroll when we need him to, I'm all for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I was just talking his history. His OBP is too good to bury at the #7 slot IMO.

UZR sucks balls for 1 year comparisons. Go look at his career marks at RF and LF in FG and BR - as close to the same as you can get.

BTW Gomes played 3 games in RF last year, c'mon man....

BR career:

-35 runs in LF (327 games)
    -16 runs in RF (145 games)

FG career:

-13.1 UZR/150 in LF
    -13.2 UZR/150 in RF

If he's going to get paid $5M a year for two years, that suggests he'll be more than a platoon guy.
    Great numbers, as always sir. Looking forward to seeing this guy launch moonshots over the monstah and playing a healthy ~110 games for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Who is BB?
    Bill Belichick

vCash
    I'll take that....we paid 2 at 12 mil for jenks lol there's been worse signings
    Perfect combos, Ghost bang out condos
    Jeff from Hamo, ex three bangos
    Bancos, stank hoes in plain clothes
    Change those, bang those, same old, same old

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Who is BB?
    Bill Belichick...

vCash
    Can't really judge this signing until we find out what direction the team is going in IMO.

vCash
    With Tampa Bay from 2003-2008, he made 227 of his 354 starts — 64% — at DH. Last year with the A’s, he started 46 of 74 games — 62% — at DH. In five full seasons in the AL, Gomes has never started more than 50 games in the outfield in a single year. Even in the NL, when the DH wasn’t an option, Gomes only averaged 88 starts per year in the outfield. Put simply, no one has ever looked at Jonny Gomes as a regular option in the OF, because, frankly, he’s terrible out there.

In 3,500 career innings in the outfield, he’s posted a UZR of -37, which translates out to -13 runs per full season. DRS rates him even worse, coming in at -50, as does Sean Smith‘s Total Zone. Gomes is basically as bad as an outfielder can possibly be while still being considered a passable part-time player at the position.

Defensively, Gomes is basically Manny Ramirez. But, of course, the Red Sox have already seen Manny Ramirez play left field in Fenway Park, and while it was painful to watch, they also won a couple of World Series titles with him in left field. Bad outfield defense isn’t, in and of itself, a deal breaker, and there’s an argument to be made that sticking a horrendous defender in front of the Green Monster allows you to hide his deficiencies, since the proximity of the wall to the plate means that there’s just less ground to cover.

With a two year deal for Gomes, the Red Sox are set to test that theory once again. While he’s almost certainly not going to be an everyday player for Boston, he had enough leverage as a free agent to ensure that he’s going to be in the mix for fairly regular playing time, perhaps in some kind of 50/50 job share with Ryan Kalish if the Sox go on to acquire a full-time right fielder later in the off-season. Or, if not with Kalish, some other left-handed outfielder, because there’s no real way the Sox can view Gomes as a regular against right-handed pitching.

Here are Gomes’ career splits:

Vs PA BA OBP SLG wOBA wRC+
    LHP 1,100 0.284 0.382 0.512 0.385 140
    RHP 1,962 0.222 0.307 0.424 0.318 93

If there’s such a thing as a lefty masher, it’s Jonny Gomes. The sample sizes with platoon splits aren’t large enough where you should just take the un-regressed numbers at face value, but even regressing them 50% back towards league average, you’re still left with something like a .360/.330 split. And, given how bad Gomes is defensively, a .330 wOBA against right-handers makes him essentially a replacement level outfielder against right-handers.

Gomes can thump lefties well enough to be valuable in the 150 to 200 plate appearances per year he can rack up against them, but against righties, there’s not much of a benefit to having him in the line-up. Realistically, he’s best served as a pinch-hitter coming off the bench for when the right-handed starter is replaced by a left-handed reliever, but it seems unlikely that Gomes secured a two year deal from Boston to be a bench player on days a right-hander takes the mound, which is about 75% of the time in Major League Baseball.

So, given the fact that Gomes signed with Boston and got a two year deal, I think we have to assume he’s going to get some starts against right-handers, and because of Ortiz’s presence, he’s going to get those starts in left field. And that brings us back to the question of whether the Green Monster can really hide the defensive deficiencies of a guy who can’t run. There is no question that it’s a smaller area in terms of square footage than most left fields, but there’s still an equal amount of lateral distance between the left fielder and center fielder in Boston as there is in any other stadium in America. The Monster might reduce the amount of times Gomes has to charge forward on a blooper since he doesn’t have to worry about as many balls being hit over his head, but he still has to run side to side to get balls down the line or in the gap. Less space doesn’t equal no space.

And, of course, the Red Sox play 81 games on the road. We can’t simply take a -15 defender, put him in Boston, and assume he’s suddenly going to be league average. It’s possible that he might be a bit less harmful in home games, but we’re probably talking about an adjustment from -15 to -10. And that’s assuming that Gomes hasn’t gotten worse with age.
    FG
    Lester to the Cubs??

vCash
    would much rather have had melky for 2/16 than gomes for 2/10
    Lester to the Cubs??

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast