Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JMP83 View Post
    I think he's saying they'll try and put Hamilton in RF for a year or two while Gomes is still on the roster. Which I could see happening.
    Nvm SirHizz, just realized he was average in RF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Nvm SirHizz, just realized he was average in RF
    Yes, Gomes' isn't the worst RF ever. So if Hamilton is indeed on the radar, that's something I can see happening. Gomes/Kalish platoon in RF and Hamilton LF. Again, I am not saying it SHOULD happen.

vCash
    I think he's saying they'll try and put Hamilton in RF for a year or two while Gomes is still on the roster. Which I could see happening.
    What's the possibility we can put JH in CF and move Ells to RF? Or does RF prioritize an arm > great range like Sweeney? I think Hamilton can play CF for us for sure, then there may be a few corner OF bats available at the deadline. We could play it out for the first half and see what we end up with come the end of July.

vCash
    There's no way Gomes plays RF unless there is an emergency, he's a horrible defender, there's a reason the A's and Rays played him at DH a lot. Hamilton would be fine in RF, he plays LF because the Rangers already had Cruz in RF. The only chance they would go after Hamilton is if no one is willing to give him a long term deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustofer1 View Post
    What's the possibility we can put JH in CF and move Ells to RF? Or does RF prioritize an arm > great range like Sweeney? I think Hamilton can play CF for us for sure, then there may be a few corner OF bats available at the deadline. We could play it out for the first half and see what we end up with come the end of July.
    If we signed Hamilton it would be for RF, where generally speaking arm takes priority over range. He could probably play adequately for a few years, at least until he can slide over to LF or even DH if need be. Gomes is a terrible fielder, LF ONLY.

That's IF we signed him, by the way, which I'm not convinced of just yet, although I will admit there doesn't really seem to be a market developing for him right now. So maybe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    Rumors say Tigers could flip us Peralta.

Hey, he's cheaper than Cabrera.
    That's so, but he is only under control for this one year, and he's not as good a hitter, and he's edging a bit closer to his decline.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    If we signed Hamilton it would be for RF, where generally speaking arm takes priority over range. He could probably play adequately for a few years, at least until he can slide over to LF or even DH if need be. Gomes is a terrible fielder, LF ONLY.

That's IF we signed him, by the way, which I'm not convinced of just yet, although I will admit there doesn't really seem to be a market developing for him right now. So maybe.
    That's what I figured, and I understand the Gomes deal isn't finished yet but if it's reported that we're close I'd imagine it's as close as a done deal gets. It'd be nice to have another RHH LFer who can't really play the OF.

I don't understand what happened to the Hamilton "5-tool" label that he had what seems like only 2 years ago, although if we end up landing him it would be for considerably less because he doesn't have that label anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    There's no way Gomes plays RF unless there is an emergency, he's a horrible defender, there's a reason the A's and Rays played him at DH a lot. Hamilton would be fine in RF, he plays LF because the Rangers already had Cruz in RF. The only chance they would go after Hamilton is if no one is willing to give him a long term deal.
    Well we are going after him. I don't think BC has giving up on him after yesterday he annouced that they were going after him.

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Doesn't have RF range necessary for Fenway, and what we need is a middle of the lineup bat and he isnt that. A lot of his value comes from defense and if he loses that value with a move to RF then he becomes a guy that we overpayed for in trade.
    Disagree totally. Gordon would hit mid 50's or better 2B in Fenway in a full season, with about 20 HR, and an OBP of about .375 - and perhaps as high as .390 in a stronger line-up.

His Fenway career split is an ungodly: .404/.485/.632 (in 68 PA's).

He's got great range which will be just fine in Fenway's RF. His arm isn't good, but the 2B goes out 20 more feet for the cut-off. In Fenway the range in RF is about 10x more important than the arm. He's in his physical prime as well.

As a comp his arm is worse then Drew's, his range better, his instincts not as good. Overall he could be about as valuable.

Good base runner too, although not a good base stealer.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    In no way can Hamilton be an average or plus RF in Fenway. His range has fallen off a great deal from just 3 years ago.

With Gomes here unless he's going to play a lot of DH/PH, Hamilton has no place to play, and don't say CF. Hamilton is done with that.

vCash
    I agree with bagwell on Gordon, if he's gonna hit 50 2B's then forget about what his defense is going to look like. I liked him in KC but I'm unfamiliar with their ballpark and defensive requirements for corner OF'ers. If it's him or Hamilton (provided we keep Ells til July) I'd rather sign Gordon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustofer1 View Post
    I agree with bagwell on Gordon, if he's gonna hit 50 2B's then forget about what his defense is going to look like. I liked him in KC but I'm unfamiliar with their ballpark and defensive requirements for corner OF'ers. If it's him or Hamilton (provided we keep Ells til July) I'd rather sign Gordon.
    Actually you have to trade to get Gordon. KC has a huge OF, he can range well. His range is probably in the same class as Crawford, but his arm is better. Not as good a RF as LF (true for most that don't have killer arms, but hardly a OH MY GOD! RF).

vCash
    He logged a lot of time at DH for the Rays before going to the NL, you have to figure he is going to get 35 + games at DH?

vCash
    @JimBowdenESPNxm
    The Red Sox 2-year agreement with Jonny Gomes is pending a physical according to sources...the deal was first reported by @ScottLauber

So, no deal.

vCash
    @JimBowdenESPNxm
    The Red Sox 2-year agreement with Jonny Gomes is pending a physical according to sources...the deal was first reported by @ScottLauber

So, no deal.
    What do you mean no deal? It says agreement and pending physical
    Last edited by Soxfan85; 11-21-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast