Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    And what was Joey going to do, leave him off the line up while he is still here. Had to put him somewhere!
    It would have been funny to hear him say "our upgrade at DH will bat 5th". lol

vCash
    He would only have value as a bench bat/platoon DH. Other wise, he's beyond trash...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkefied View Post
    I meant nothing major, as in, he didn't become an allstar again. There was improvement though. Albeit small sample size.
    An improvement? Nothing different?

2012 1st Half
    .206 BA, .287 OBP, .674 OPS

2012 2nd Half
    .304 BA, .343 OBP, .784 OPS

Quite the difference, actually. If he can hit similarly to what he did in the second half for a whole season, it'll be very hard to legitimately complain about Lind @ $5M.

I really think we need to go with two hitting coaches though and have Mottola come up to work with guys like Arencibia and Lind, who can't just free hack. Lind used to have a decent eye until Murphy got a hold of him in 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

2012 1st Half

2012 2nd Half

Quite the difference, actually. If he can hit similarly to what he did in the second half for a whole season, it'll be very hard to legitimately complain about Lind @ $5M.

I really think we need to go with two hitting coaches though and have Mottola come up to work with guys like Arencibia and Lind, who can't just free hack. Lind used to have a decent eye until Murphy got a hold of him in 2010.
    Or better yet get rid of Murphy, you don't really need him.

vCash
    How awesome would it be if Lind has another break out season and proves us all wrong? He has the skill assets, but he just needs to stay healthy and change his approach.

With such a stacked line up, I think it will take pressure off him to do too much down in the order.

vCash

2012 1st Half

2012 2nd Half

+1 here's to hoping Lind picks up where he left off

vCash
    Sadly a 780 OPS would still make him one of the worst hitting 1B/DH in the league.

The Jays are making a run for the playoffs. Accepting mediocrity isn't going to cut it if the Jays are going to make the playoffs.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Sadly a 780 OPS would still make him one of the worst hitting 1B/DH in the league.

The Jays are making a run for the playoffs. Accepting mediocrity isn't going to cut it if the Jays are going to make the playoffs.
    OPS is a very good stat, but it doesn't tell everything. As far as I'm concerned, slugging percentage needs to figure out a way to incoporate walks, even of it adds them in as singles. (is their a stat like slugging percentage that's incorporates walks? Something like total bases + walks / plate appearances - sacrifices?). A stat like that plus OBP would be the perfect stat, IMO, although Lind would still be low - but I've always valued OBP the highest. I might start calculating that stat myself when evaluating at a player - it tells a better story. I think .825 would be the lowest you'd want there.

We have a very strong line-up, so long as Lind can get on base, I'm happy. A .340+ OBP over the entire season would be perfectly fine with me - so long as he gets clutch hits and the other people in our lineup can drive him in.

If Lind only gets doubles, singles, and walks while losing power - that's fine by me as long as he gets on base, or drives in RISP frequently.
    Last edited by natey2k4; 11-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.

vCash
    ^^Why should slugging percentage incorporate walks when OBP already does? You're double counting at that point.
    Last edited by 2009mvp; 11-25-2012 at 05:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    ^^Why should slugging percentage incorporate walks when OBP already does? You're double counting at that point.
    Well OBP includes hits as well (ala singles).

After looking though, I think I like wOBA the best to read offensive talent. That stat seems to tell a closer story to how I feel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natey2k4:24455039
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Well OBP includes hits as well (ala singles).

After looking though, I think I like wOBA the best to read offensive talent. That stat seems to tell a closer story to how I feel.
    Yes wOBA and wRC+ are the best offensive metrics. However, a lot of sabr people will use older stats to make the same point as most of the community can comprehend OPS.

vCash
    I would like to see AA try to get Kyle Blanks to platoon with Lind. Chances are Lind will be here on opening day but no matter what he says, he shouldn't be facing a lot of lefties. Blanks in the Rogers Centre could be a good fit. Plus he won't break the bank

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    Yes wOBA and wRC+ are the best offensive metrics. However, a lot of sabr people will use older stats to make the same point as most of the community can comprehend OPS.
    Are you trying to say I can't comprehend OPS? If you are, I can perfectly. I just don't like it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    Are you trying to say I can't comprehend OPS? If you are, I can perfectly. I just don't like it.
    You misread bud.

vCash
    It's not ideal but I'm growing on the Davis/Lind platoon.

Davis had a .782 OPS against lefties. Versus a paltry .638 against righties. But, check this out, Davis stole 23 times against righties but was caught stealing 11 times. Against lefties, he stole 23 times but was only caught stealing twice. Crazy. So, he would be an even better base stealer working solely against lefties.

Lind has horrible, horrible splits against lefties. But against righties, during a bad year, his OPS was .795. Not great, but he drives runs in against righties, too. And I am pretty confident that if he only faced righties, given his new approach to hitting, he exceed that number.

I still like other options better, guys like Soriano and maybe even Carlos Lee, but a Lind/Davis platoon wouldn't be the end of the world.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast