Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Adam Lind trade value? and possible replacements

So all this chatter about Lind and finding a new DH has made me think.... what is his real trade value? and who can we get for him? do we sign a free agent DH like Jonny gomes? who will come cheap... the guy has a great obp and hits well too... He never plays a full season... if he did his numbers would be awesome.. someone we can get on a 2 year 8-9 million contract and can produce....what do you think?

vCash
    A bag of balls and a water boy.

Honestly, the most the Jays can hope for is kicking in a bit of salary and getting a middle RP prospect back.... his value is lower than low.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    A bag of balls and a water boy.

Honestly, the most the Jays can hope for is kicking in a bit of salary and getting a middle RP prospect back.... his value is lower than low.
    Agreed. Part of me thinks it's more worthwhile to keep him, platoon him with someone who can hit lefties, and hope that he can continue where he left off after being recalled from AAA last season.

If he can regain that form, he is a servicable DH provided he doesn't hit lefties. At the end of the day, no one is going to take his contract unless we are sending cash back. Let's keep him and platoon him, as he should have been doing the past few years.

vCash
    If Mottola can fix Lind (and really his flaw has been not laying off the breaking ball and not being patient at the plate), he can be pretty good. Will he be 2009 good? Likely not, but if he can still put up some decent numbers with a good obp, he's good value at $5 to $7.5 mil over the next 4 years. That's really his value.

Trading him now, your going to get virtually nothing.

vCash
    I'd rather keep Lind to bat against righties. And find someone else to bat against lefties...maybe someone from the roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    If Mottola can fix Lind (and really his flaw has been not laying off the breaking ball and not being patient at the plate), he can be pretty good. I remember when Lind came back up from Triple A last year, he really was a much improved hitter and saw the patience he had -- then I guess the stuff he learned from Mottola wore off -- I think he really needs a guy in his ear constantly. Will he be 2009 good? Likely not, but if he can still put up some decent numbers with a good obp, he's good value at $5 to $7.5 mil over the next 4 years. That's really his value.

Pretty much.

This just reminded me how absolutely horrible his swing looked against breaking balls. So bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJaysGirl View Post
    I'd rather keep Lind to bat against righties. And find someone else to bat against lefties...maybe someone from the roster.
    Davis is decent against lefties isn't he? I'm at work so can't check. While not the ideal DH, he would be a big improvement from Lind against LHP (plus the added speed factor).

vCash
    I would platoon him personally. He's not worth anything, but if he was just facing RHP and backing up Encarnacion, he could be of some value to the team. His OPS is around .800 vs RHP, just drastically drops vs LHP. His defence is just acceptable. You're looking at a platoon player.

While Davis does hit better vs LHP and could platoon, it would be ideal to bring in someone like Gomes to platoon with Russ Branya... I mean Adam Lind, but it really shortens your bench. Not sure it makes much sense to have both Lind and Gomes on your roster. However with the versatile players the Jays added (Izturis, Bonifacio) it could work.
    Last edited by Kelly Gruber; 11-21-2012 at 12:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Converged View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    If Mottola can fix Lind (and really his flaw has been not laying off the breaking ball and not being patient at the plate), he can be pretty good. I remember when Lind came back up from Triple A last year, he really was a much improved hitter and saw the patience he had -- then I guess the stuff he learned from Mottola wore off -- I think he really needs a guy in his ear constantly. Will he be 2009 good? Likely not, but if he can still put up some decent numbers with a good obp, he's good value at $5 to $7.5 mil over the next 4 years. That's really his value.

Pretty much.

This just reminded me how absolutely horrible his swing looked against breaking balls. So bad.
    Not as bad as Hinske.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysfan55 View Post
    So all this chatter about Lind and finding a new DH has made me think.... what is his real trade value? and who can we get for him? do we sign a free agent DH like Jonny gomes? who will come cheap... the guy has a great obp and hits well too... He never plays a full season... if he did his numbers would be awesome.. someone we can get on a 2 year 8-9 million contract and can produce....what do you think?
    Jonny Gomes can be had for a lot less then 8-9 million over two years. He's a platoon option along with Lind for dh and i'd be happy to sign him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    Jonny Gomes can be had for a lot less then 8-9 million over two years. He's a platoon option along with Lind for dh and i'd be happy to sign him.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. If you asked me this 6 months ago I'd agree with you but now? I think he'll easily hit that mark.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    We can all hope for better, but I think a Lind/Gomes platoon would suffice. It may shorten up the bench as mentioned, but it shouldn't be an issue with Izturis and Bonifacio around.

Vs RHP

Reyes
    Bonifacio
    Bautista
    Cabrera--I like the idea of Melky as an unconventional cleanup guy
    Edwin
    Rasmus
    Lawrie
    Lind
    Arencibia

vs LHP

Reyes
    Bonifacio
    Bautista
    Cabrera
    Edwin
    Lawrie
    Gomes
    Rasmus
    Arencibia

Nofear is offline Amish Rake Fighting Champ
    vCash
    Why do the Jays need to trade him? If he bounces back, great, if not, you make the move mid season.

There are bigger needs with the remaining funds/resources than replacing Lind. You can hit him down the order and spell him with Davis for lefties. Jays fans want allstars at every spot where as common sense says you keep a few bullets in the gun so you can pull the trigger mid season.

vCash
    Anyone (twitchy?) know how you'd best estimate what a guy's line would look like in a platoon role? Because once you regress the ~.800 OPS Lind's put up the last three years against RHP while playing everyday to account for him being a parttime player, this entire platoon idea might not look so great anymore. Same deal with Rajai. I mean, I would guess you'd still end up with a pretty OK combination to plug into the 7th spot or lower, but if you're looking for the lefty to fit somewhere in there between Bautista/EE/Lawrie I still can't imagine that being Lind.

vCash
    Lind was waived last season. Nobody picked him up, he was sent back to AAA and nothing major was different when he came back up later on in the year. I doubt anyone would pick him up today if we placed him on waivers again. So, if nobody will pick him and his salary up for nothing in return, Lind would have zero trade value whatsoever.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast