Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Report: Bynum could be out for a year with possible career-threatening knee surgery

PHILADELPHIA-- The 76ers let Andrew Bynum break the news about the latest setback with his damaged knees on Friday, then acted as if they weren’t sure what was going on with the guy they’re paying $16.5 million this season.

The truth is that the 7-foot, 285-pound former All-Star center who has yet to play a game as a Sixer may be out for the season and will learn in December, at the earliest, whether he’ll require surgery that could sideline him for up to a year.
    http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...nclick_check=1

Not surprising, but its still sad.

Here are doctor quotes on this situation:
    One internationally respected orthopedic surgeon, who is not involved with Bynum’s treatment and has not seen his MRIs, told The News Journal that all of the information that has been released by the player and the Sixers points to a likely diagnosis of osteochondritis dessicans lesions. The surgeon said that if this is the case, there’s a small chance that Bynum’s knees could heal sufficiently on their own in time for him to return for the playoffs this season, but called that scenario “wishing on a star.”
    “While they can heal non-operatively, they can take a long time [four to six months] to heal, and in adult athletes, frequently they will require surgical intervention at some point if there isn’t adequate healing within the first several months of treatment,” the surgeon said.

He added that if the 25-year-old returns to the court too early and the lesions become large enough, the condition could become career threatening. The surgeon spoke on condition of anonymity because Bynum is not his patient, but this probable diagnosis, given the player’s symptoms and treatment thus far, is backed up by reams of medical literature.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

WOW!
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Resign him for an amazingly cheap deal

This is why I watch soccer.

vCash
    injure player exception

vCash
    Umm.. this is a surgeon's opinion who has not even seen Bynum.

vCash
    One of Pat Riley projects...

Why wouldn't he sign with the HEAT, he gets to win rings, while trying to heal up; win win.
    Last edited by Dade County; 11-21-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Enjoy Haters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkyxNNNefg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlKH...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

vCash
    A few more quotes because its a detailed article.

Bynum said he’s experiencing pain and swelling in both knees, but that his low-impact workouts in the pool and on the elliptical are “not degrading the cartilage, as far as I know.” He called it a “weird issue” that intensified since he last spoke with reporters last Monday. He since returned to visit his longtime orthopedist, Dr. David W. Altchek of the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, to have an MRI on both knees. Bynum said there is no issue with his ligaments or surrounding meniscus.
    Altchek did not immediately respond Sunday to a request seeking comment and confirmation of the diagnosis of osteochondral lesions, which can form in joints when the bone underneath gets weakened, such as in the case of Bynum’s bone bruises. The bruised bone then starts to crack, and if it gets too weak and collapses, the cartilage sitting on top becomes unsupported and collapses, too.

Bynum and the Sixers are hoping that his bone bruises, underneath the now-weakened cartilage, begin to heal on their own and create a stronger foundation. But the condition will worsen with additional trauma, hence Bynum suggesting Friday that he may give up working out on the elliptical and, for the time being, confine his exercise to the pool.

“I’m a little bit worried, bluntly, that it’s more advanced and the guy probably does need surgery. But if he needs surgery, then the year is completely written off,” the surgeon said. “But if he doesn’t have surgery and they think they can demonstrate healing in about four months, then he could potentially still come back for the playoffs.

“That’s what it sounds like they’re thinking about.”

Non-operative treatment for the lesions involves avoiding high-impact activity for between four to six months, but in adults, more often than not, the condition ends up requiring arthroscopic surgery that can sideline a patient for up to a year.

All jokes aside, its terrible that both Greg Oden & Andrew Bynum have had a lot of their potential slowly wiped away because of knee injuries.

Not too long ago we all thought these guys would be 2 of the Elite big men in the NBA.

vCash
    I read the rotoworld blurb and the opinion's coming from someone who's never seen his MRIs or been a part of his treatment

LBJ 2015

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Umm.. this is a surgeon's opinion who has not even seen Bynum.
    I'll take the opinion of an orthopedic surgeon who has probably seen 200+ patients with various degrees of knee issues and can recognize issues like this over a "blogger" on Twitter making assumptions about Bynum.

This is the first time a doctor actually commented on the situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    I'll take the opinion of an orthopedic surgeon who has probably seen 200+ patients with various degrees of knee issues and can recognize issues like this over a "blogger" on Twitter making assumptions about Bynum.

This is the first time a doctor actually commented on the situation.
    a doc who has never seen Bynum's knees or even the MRI.

sounds like a website trying to get hits more than anything. Hence the dramatic "Report" and "career threatening" title. Horrible journalism tactics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PC View Post
    I read the rotoworld blurb and the opinion's coming from someone who's never seen his MRIs or been a part of his treatment
    “He’s had it in the other knee all along, but they just MRI’d the one knee,” the surgeon said. “Now it hurts because he’s been favoring it. The other knee is bothering him and they MRI’d that. It’s on the medial side of the lateral femoral condyle, and it’s frequently bilateral [or in both knees].

“And I can tell you, Altchek isn’t surprised,” he said. “If I was his orthopedic surgeon, I’d say, ‘Yeah, he has the same thing on the other knee as well.’ … Because he’s jumping up and down. That’s how he makes his living.”
    Yes, this guy has no clue.

vCash
    Like PC and nycerican said, it's still from a doctor that hasn't even seen the MRI or been dealing with Bynum. Until there's a further report with more concrete proof I edited the thread title.

vCash
    Wow. I know Philly fans are getting more pissed off by the hour. But this could be a trick, from Bynum, so he doesnt have to play and he can just wait until Free Agency. He's that type of person.

Born a Knick Live a Knick Die a Knick
    Knicks-Jets-Yanks-Chris Paul-St.Johns-Duke Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Not too long ago we all thought these guys would be 2 of the Elite big men in the NBA.
    Not all of us.

vCash
    If u had told me that the Sixers lost on the Howard trade, I would have disagreed. But it looks like Orlando was correct for refusing to take Bynum

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast