Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboniCub View Post
    if hamilton isnt commanding 5+years, grienke i dont see happening(Dodgers willingness to overpay), upton i could see if we can move sori soon enough. victorino is meh to me.
    Why do you think upton would be dependent on moving soriano?

vCash
    not having sori is a huge production blow to the already bad offense. i should say hamilton and upton make more sense if we move sori before they sign. i just like Josh on a 4 year deal, i think upton will probably get 5-7
    Last edited by ZamboniCub; 11-23-2012 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    *raises hand*

*ducks tomatoes*

They're not going to not pursue players who only cost money (and a not #2 overall pick) and upgrade the ML roster.
    I know your general position (particularly upton and grienke), so maybe i should rephrase a bit. If you had to put money on it, would you bet the cubs sign any of those guys?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I'm not saying he's going to have a 1.000 OPS in the day or that that the daytime splits don't matter, but I don't think you can discount what he did in day games this year either. .790 OPS isn't replacement level. It's not worth $25 million, but it's not replacement level either. Since there is probably a physical reason for it if push came to shove I'm not sure how I'd feel if the Cubs signed him, but I don't think you can throw out 2012 either.
    My point isn't really about what the splits mean from the Cubs perspective. He's openly admitted he doesn't like day games because he has a hard time seeing the ball. He's a free agent and this isn't a video game. As the team that plays the most day games in MLB, the Cubs are at an inherent disadvantage in courting him.

vCash
    Royals are shopping Wil Myers according to MLBTR. I would like to know how huge of an offer it would take to get him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubRhetoric View Post
    I know your general position (particularly upton and grienke), so maybe i should rephrase a bit. If you had to put money on it, would you bet the cubs sign any of those guys?
    No, but I'm sure no one would have put money on David DeJesus and Paul Maholm being the big signings of the 2012 FA period for the Cubs. It's completely unpredictable where FAs will go. I remember when the Yankees signed CC that the A's were supposed to be the frontrunners. That went nowhere. No one saw the Angels signing Pujols...or the Tigers signing Fielder...it's not easy to guess this stuff with any kind of accuracy.

Rumors will become slightly more concrete in December.

vCash
    No, but I'm sure no one would have put money on David DeJesus and Paul Maholm being the big signings of the 2012 FA period for the Cubs. It's completely unpredictable where FAs will go.
    Completely agree, was just wondering if your mocks were a reflection of expectations or ideals

vCash
    I just don't want to go after big, "overpriced" free agents unless we are going to just go all out (which I'm fine with). For example, I don't want to just sign Hamilton and then fillers. I'd rather go big, go out and give both Hamilton and Grienke huge contracts, and then ship off a decent chunk of the farm for Ben Zobrist and David Price (just as an example, there can be other options). Go out and compete now with a rotation/lineup of:

Price
    Grienke
    Garza
    Samardzija
    Wood

Zobrist
    Castro
    Hamilton
    Rizzo
    Soriano
    DeJesus
    Barney
    Clevenger/Castillo/Navarro (whoever the hell wins that job)

That's a team that is a world series contender right there, and is within budget. And its a long term contender without a ton of unnecessary risk. If you use the average WAR from the past 3 seasons (when applicable) as a projection, you get that as a 42 WAR level starting lineup/rotation. Obviously that is very rough for numerous reasons, but factor in bullpen/bench and you are have a team that would project out to about 90 wins.

Now, I'm not saying that's the right way to build the team. The minor league system would take a huge hit to acquire Price/Zobrist, but with a lot of depth and the addition of a #2 overall pick and large draft budget it would hardly destroy it. I'm just saying that if you are going to go out and sign a big name to a risky, "overpriced" contract then I think you need to go all out to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, any big moves should be trading for ML ready prospects are young guys with several years left of control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubRhetoric View Post
    Completely agree, was just wondering if your mocks were a reflection of expectations or ideals
    Little of both. Definitely do not expect another abomination of a season (and offseason) like the last.

vCash
    No, but I'm sure no one would have put money on David DeJesus and Paul Maholm being the big signings of the 2012 FA period for the Cubs. It's completely unpredictable where FAs will go. I remember when the Yankees signed CC that the A's were supposed to be the frontrunners. That went nowhere. No one saw the Angels signing Pujols...or the Tigers signing Fielder...it's not easy to guess this stuff with any kind of accuracy.

Rumors will become slightly more concrete in December.
    DeJesus to the Cubs was actually predicted correctly by MLBTR. The only rumors linking bigger players to the Cubs by MLBTR were if somebody like Pujols or Fielder would accept terms that were friendly to the Cubs. Fielder to the Tigers did kind of come out of nowhere, though. I still wonder if they would have done it if VMart hadn't gone down before spring training.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/index.html

vCash
    Lucky guess. The only other ones they got right were Rollins, Hill, and Wood - all who stayed with their 2011 teams as expected. They also guessed a one year deal when it's two with an option for a third.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Royals are shopping Wil Myers according to MLBTR. I would like to know how huge of an offer it would take to get him.
    I don't think it would take that large of an offer to get him considering the issues with his defense. I would offer Garza and prospects for him.

vCash
    Seeing the Royals open to talking about everyone really makes me want to go talk to them about Garza or Shark
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Seeing the Royals open to talking about everyone really makes me want to go talk to them about Garza or Shark
    Same here. I think we could get a really good return for either with the royals.

vCash
    Trades that I think have potential value

Garza and Soriano to the Red Sox for Ryan Lavarnaway, Matt Barnes and Garin Cecchini

Garza to the Jays for JP Arencibia and Noah Syndergaaurd

Soriano and Marmol to the Rays for Wade Davis and Alex Colome

Steve Clevenger, Josh Vitters, Matt Szczur, Trey McNutt, and Junior Lake for Justin Masterson, Lonnie Chisenhall and Dillon Howard

Matt Garza and Junior Lake for Trevor Bauer

Javier Baez, Brett Jackson, Junior Lake, Trey McNutt and Dillon Maples for Chase Headley and Austin Hedges

Alfonso Soriano, Javier Baez, Brett Jackson, Trey McNutt, Dillon Maples and Jiemer Candelario for David Price and Ben Zobrist

Josh Vitters, Brett Jackson, Trey McNutt and Gioskar Amaya for Matt Moore

Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast