Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 62 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm not sure, but 2nd round picks are given up but the FA has to meet some criteria I think. Our 2nd round pick is still pretty valuable being the #2 pick in the 2nd round is still really close to a 1st rouder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheAutomator View Post
    Is there a list of which FA's former teams will receive compensation when they are signed? I am still a bit hazy on the new compensation process, I believe our 1st round pick is protected (top 10?) if we sign certain FA's, and I'm wondering where Bourn would be on that list.
    Bourn rejected a qualifying offer from the Braves, and our pick is indeed protected, so I believe we would be giving up our 2nd-round pick if we signed Bourn. Of the FA that remain, Hamilton, Bourn, Swisher, Lohse, LaRoche, and Soriano will require picks. Ortiz and Kuroda re-signed, and the Braves will give up a pick for Upton.
    Last edited by Cubsfan365; 11-30-2012 at 12:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Bourn rejected a qualifying offer from the Braves, and our pick is indeed protected, so I believe we would be giving up our 2nd-round pick if we signed Bourn.
    That doesn't seem like something our FO would do. Especially considering it being a high pick. Everything I've read about them suggests they wouldn't sacrafice such a high 2nd round pick unless it was "time to strike".

vCash
    The only thing Bourn hasn't done better than Upton the last few years is hit for power. He's been a 4-5 WAR player for four years now. He's an ideal leadoff hitter, a plus defender, and at 30 years of age, could be a great signing, but it all comes down to price...

vCash
    Braves just tradeded Tommy Hanson to the Angels unconfirmed.
    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    It's Jon Heyman, so we all know how reliable he is with reporting potential trades from the Dempster/Delgado and Marmol/Haren debacles. It's probably true, but I'm always going to wait for further confirmation now. If so, could be them preparing for the departure of Greinke.

vCash
    There's a Rays blog speculating on a Soriano for Niemann trade, but offers no indication that this is actually in the works.

Re: Yankees - Hughes stands out to me every time I look at their roster. Also, I didn't realize Nez Balelo was his agent.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 11-30-2012 at 01:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Bourn rejected a qualifying offer from the Braves, and our pick is indeed protected, so I believe we would be giving up our 2nd-round pick if we signed Bourn. Of the FA that remain, Hamilton, Bourn, Swisher, Lohse, LaRoche, and Soriano will require picks. Ortiz and Kuroda re-signed, and the Braves will give up a pick for Upton.
    Better to sign an A-Level free agent when we have a top ten pick instead of a later pick. This year, we'd be giving up our second rounder which will likely be around #40 due to compensatory picks between the 1st and 2nd rounds. If we sign someone when we're better, we'll be giving up the #11-30 pick. A lot of value is lost between #20 and #40.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Braves just tradeded Tommy Hanson to the Angels unconfirmed.
    Tommy Hanson for Jordan Walden? If true and that's the entire trade... wow. Great upside trade for the Angels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiSportsDaily View Post
    The only thing Bourn hasn't done better than Upton the last few years is hit for power. He's been a 4-5 WAR player for four years now. He's an ideal leadoff hitter, a plus defender, and at 30 years of age, could be a great signing, but it all comes down to price...
    Power ages more gracefully than speed, however.

vCash
    Atlanta's bullpen gets even more filthy:

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler
    Hanson goes to Angels for Walden
    Last edited by Cubsfan365; 11-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.

vCash
    Tommy Hanson for Jordan Walden? If true and that's the entire trade... wow. Great upside trade for the Angels.
    Braves win that deal hands down. Hanson Arm is going to fall off.
    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    Power ages more gracefully than speed, however.
    I agree, it does. Bourn seems like a guy that knows his role and fits it to a T, though. Would love him if he signs for the right price.

vCash
    Definitely a win for the Braves in my eyes

vCash
    I agree, it does. Bourn seems like a guy that knows his role and fits it to a T, though. Would love him if he signs for the right price.
    For the right terms, yeah, I'm down. A guy who gets his value from speed and CF defense just isn't my ideal free agent target.

Bourn probably would've been way undervalued in the past, but nowadays he could easily be overvalued given the potential for catastrophic decline if he loses so much as a step of his elite speed.

Page 62 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast