Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I hate Brian Bogusevic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Been told multiple times that this FO is too smart to not realize such and place Barney's trade value as such... Had three scouts tell me that Barney is still a better SS than 2B and all three believe his trade value is higher than any positional player on the team not name Castro or Rizzo...
    I agree and they should sell high on him. What could realistically come back from Arizona for Barney?

vCash
    I think there's a difference between believing his trade value is higher than everyone but Castro and Rizzo and saying this is a sell high opportunity. It might be now and I might be wrong, but Barney strikes me as a guy who is a year off from sell a sell high situation.

There's arguments for both sides on this one, but I think the return has to be unexpectedly great for the move to be worth it.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-21-2012 at 06:26 PM.

vCash
    If Logan Watkins tears it up at Iowa I can see Barney possibly being traded at the deadline or next off season.

vCash
    If Watkins tears it up at Iowa than he's infinitely more likely to be traded than Barney. Hell, he's already there as far as who's more likely to be traded.

Hitting well at Iowa doesn't really raise his ceiling. He's still *maybe* an average defensive 2B with huge platoon splits in the minors...He would be the sell high guy there.

vCash
    A guy that maybe plays an average 2B, with platoon splits is far from a sell high. A sell high is somebody that greatly outperforms their tools. Watkins at best is a throw in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CUBluejays View Post
    A guy that maybe plays an average 2B, with platoon splits is far from a sell high. A sell high is somebody that greatly outperforms their tools. Watkins at best is a throw in.
    It's all relative where something as general as "sell high" is concerned. Also disagree with the definition...it's just a term applied to someone performing really well who probably will not reach that level of performance again for any number of reasons.

For instance if Watson is still a Cub next year and is hitting everyone at Iowa (so no drastic splits), did he suddenly start learning to hit everyone or is it a fluke? If he was then moved, wouldn't someone mention how he's moved coincidentally at the same time his splits disappear for a period of time - aka selling high on his ability to hit both hands?

vCash
    Honestly, I don't think Barney's value will get much higher than it is right now, unless his offensive numbers take a jump, which I just don't see happening. A number of teams may be willing to overpay for him just because SS are in demand right now, if the right package comes along you would have to take it. Some deals that make sense to me and I would seriously consider

Arizona: AJ Pollock and David Holmberg/Patrick Corbin
    Boston: Andrew Miller and one of Ryan Lavarnaway/Ryan Kalish/Ryan Sweeney/Bryce Brentz/Garin Cecchini
    Seattle: James Paxton + an OF (Michael Saunders maybe)
    Oakland: Pitching, pitching, pitching

I don't expect a deal to be offered anywhere close to there but deals similar to those would make sense for us. We could sign a stop gap or platoon Valbuena at 2B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think Barney's value will get much higher than it is right now, unless his offensive numbers take a jump, which I just don't see happening. A number of teams may be willing to overpay for him just because SS are in demand right now, if the right package comes along you would have to take it. Some deals that make sense to me and I would seriously consider

Arizona: AJ Pollock and David Holmberg/Patrick Corbin
    Boston: Andrew Miller and one of Ryan Lavarnaway/Ryan Kalish/Ryan Sweeney/Bryce Brentz/Garin Cecchini
    Seattle: James Paxton + an OF (Michael Saunders maybe)
    Oakland: Pitching, pitching, pitching

I don't expect a deal to be offered anywhere close to there but deals similar to those would make sense for us. We could sign a stop gap or platoon Valbuena at 2B.
    I would take Pat Corbin alone for Barney, we wouldn't get Pollock on top of that I don't think, because he's supposed to start for them this year.

vCash
    Yeah I'd probably do Barney for Corbin or even Miller alone, though Miller less so (Cecchini would be nice). Barney for Sonny Gray is another one I really like.

OTOH, Paxton can remain the Mariners' 4th or 5th best pitching prospect. Not a big fan.

vCash
    I'd love to get Archer back if we're dealing Barney. The Rays could definitely use some middle infield help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    It's all relative where something as general as "sell high" is concerned. Also disagree with the definition...it's just a term applied to someone performing really well who probably will not reach that level of performance again for any number of reasons.

For instance if Watson is still a Cub next year and is hitting everyone at Iowa (so no drastic splits), did he suddenly start learning to hit everyone or is it a fluke? If he was then moved, wouldn't someone mention how he's moved coincidentally at the same time his splits disappear for a period of time - aka selling high on his ability to hit both hands?
    And that doesn't contradict a thing that I said, I'm glad we agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Yeah I'd probably do Barney for Corbin or even Miller alone, though Miller less so (Cecchini would be nice). Barney for Sonny Gray is another one I really like.

OTOH, Paxton can remain the Mariners' 4th or 5th best pitching prospect. Not a big fan.
    In retrospect I probably would do Corbin or Miller straight up as well. I was working under the idea that Barney would be a part of the deal but not the only part necessarily.

I'm a big fan of Cecchini which is why I included him and I'm also a fan of Paxton as well.

I like the Sonny Gray idea. Didn't think of him. Reunite him with Derek Johnson.

vCash
    I'd be really curious what Detroit thinks of a Barney for Porcello framework to a trade.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    I agree and they should sell high on him. What could realistically come back from Arizona for Barney?
    Don't want to speculate anymore than I have... Takes anyway from actual info I pass along, IMHO...
    Ombudsman

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast