Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Screw the NHL

vCash
    Portland, Hamilton, Kansas City, Houston, Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon or a second team in Toronto are other possibilities.
    No one said moving franchises will solve the league's economic problems.
    Gradually reduce the salary cap while big markets teams share revenue so no team will be in the red. Every team would be profitable by shared responsibility.
    The NHL should also then look into moving teams to stronger markets such as Quebec/Hamilton or Portland/Seattle/Milwaukee to reduce their shared amount.
    Continuing to lock out the league every few years to apply large salary reductions as a way to solve economic problems is insane & ridiculous
    Last edited by kevin13697; 12-05-2012 at 07:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    Portland, Hamilton, Kansas City, Houston, Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon or a second team in Toronto are other possibilities.
    No one said moving franchises will solve the league's economic problems.
    Houston is a big city but its in the same category as Atlanta, Dallas, and Pheonix. Not really the best plan. Regina, Saskatoon, and Halifax are too small to work out. Southern Ontario would be one or the other, if a team goes to Hamilton then Toronto wouldn't get another team and the opposite applies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    1. You're seriously saying the Kings should have had their own network all along and you're supporting that claim by bringing up the Dodgers, an incredibly popular franchise, who are just now getting one now?

2. You're seriously saying that the NHL owners dropped the ball because the Big 10 just got a network? That's an entire conference! The popularity of that conference absolutely trumps an NHL franchise.

Remember, you're the one who said the owners were morons for not starting their own networks during a time when basically every friggin sports franchise in the world didn't have one.

The markets you list are no more promising than just about any of the 10-15 teams that are losing money right now.

1. Hartford - failed

2. Seattle - couldn't get an arena built for the supersonics.

3. OKC/ San Antonio - they already have the Stars in Dallas and they barely make a profit. The spurs are one of the most successful NBA franchises and they still penny pinch. Oh yea, since you said Miami was South America, can I call OKC/ San Antonio... Mexico?

4. You think a team from Buffalo, a region that actually enjoys hockey, is going to thrive in Indianapolis?

5. Vegas can't support anything.

It's really ridiculous that you think moving current franchises to these places is going to solve the league's economic issues. It's actually insane.
    Sounds like the status quo, which led to 3 work stoppages, is your solution. Sounds more like a problem and is a problem.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    There are a few rumors I heard today:
    Coaches are telling players to get ready for imminent return.-Kypreos sportsnet
    Training camps could open next Wed. 56 game season begins on Dec. 20 if deal is done -Greg Wyshynski Yahoo
    Bettman said he wants a deal done by friday

vCash
    Could not agree more! Heck the the NHL, this is the only pro league I know that shuts down twice a decade! this is garbage and im done being a fan, shut down for the rest of the season cuz the fans arn't comin back!

vCash
    Gee, shocking, talks break down. These awful markets aren't getting better anytime soon.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    Gee, shocking, talks break down. These awful markets aren't getting better anytime soon.
    exactly. its a giant combination. Bad markets that don't care they have NHL or not.....Hardline owners that don't care if there's hockey as long as they're making money (i.e Jermemy Jacobs). Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr's beef w. eachother. and Donald Fehr HIMSELF b/c he's a hardnose asswipe who just wants to get more and more.

IDK if this is true b/c it was on Eklund's site (but one of the bloggers) so yeah idk how credible this is BUT if its true...wow just wow:

From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr's beef w. eachother.
    I've said it before, the NHL players got the right guy in there. Bettman's always had a bit of snobbish, "I'm always right", attitude and the players countered with a snob who represented the powerful players union in baseball.

Unlike baseball and football, many of the hockey players aren't even from North America. These guys do have other options. There are other leagues to go play in. Just b/c the NHL has a work stoppage doesn't mean these player can't make an income playing hockey. There is and there isn't a sense of urgency for the players to cave.

vCash
    dup
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 12-07-2012 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    OK, so assuming exchange rates were the only reason Quebec folded (I don't necessarily buy it), what are the other 10 Canadian cities that are going to take on the teams that are running in the red?

Team Operating Income ($mil)
    Toronto Maple Leafs 81.9

New York Rangers 74

Montreal Canadiens 51.6

Vancouver Canucks 30.4

Detroit Red Wings 20.8

Chicago Blackhawks 20.5

Edmonton Oilers 16.2

Ottawa Senators 14.5

Boston Bruins 14.2

Winnipeg Jets 13.3

Calgary Flames 11

Philadelphia Flyers 10.9

Pittsburgh Penguins 9.1

Colorado Avalanche 4.5

Dallas Stars 3

New Jersey Devils 2.8 (treading water but TV network will help)

Los Angeles Kings 1.8 (TV network will help. Would be better served latching onto Dodgers Network)

San Jose Sharks -0.9 (numbers will likely get worse)

Washington Capitals -1 (numbers will get better)

Nashville Predators -3.4 (those numbers will likely get better)

Minnesota Wild -3.9 (well, they have the Mall of America and a lot of medical headquarters but still, not enough of business)

Carolina Hurricanes -9.4 (would think this would work but it's obviously stealing from the Caps base)

St Louis Blues -10 (great baseball town and a down market for hockey. Will get better))

Buffalo Sabres -10.4 (the city is economically shrinking by the hour)

Anaheim Ducks -10.8 (A Disney gimmick in California - enough said)

Florida Panthers -12 (let's see - banking, tourism along with the white collar criminals. Restaurants, the Miami Hurricanes, nightlife, sex, drugs and beach.) Who will go to hockey game on a regular basis? Nobody

Tampa Bay Lightning -13.1 (lol - seriously?)

New York Islanders -16 (still no new arena and it's basically a long island fan base)

Columbus Blue Jackets -18.7 (high school football is more important than hockey. Pathetic ownership)

Phoenix Coyotes -20.6 (this town doesn't care about hockey)

Those bottom cities stink and they don't help the brand you speak of. The cities I mentioned make more business sense. Oh, by the way, the most of the Canadien teams are doing ok.

The staus quo sucks
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 12-07-2012 at 02:13 PM.

vCash
    Minnesota loses 3.9 million
    so they sign the two biggest free agents to large lengthy contracts. Brilliant!
    While a team like Toronto makes 82 million
    hasn't made the playoffs in a long time & don't spend close to the cap.
    rich teams don't spend while poor teams overspend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    Minnesota loses 3.9 million
    so they sign the two biggest free agents to large lengthy contracts. Brilliant!
    While a team like Toronto makes 82 million
    hasn't made the playoffs in a long time & don't spend close to the cap.
    rich teams don't spend while poor teams overspend.
    They're investing in the team. Thos two players can make them a playoff contender, generate buzz, increase ticket sales, and increase tv ratings. They made those two signings in an effort to stop losing money. If salaries were lower and there was a more concrete rule on length of contracts, they wouldn't have had to spend that much to acquire those players.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    Team Operating Income ($mil)
    Toronto Maple Leafs 81.9

New York Rangers 74

Montreal Canadiens 51.6

Vancouver Canucks 30.4

Detroit Red Wings 20.8

Chicago Blackhawks 20.5

Edmonton Oilers 16.2

Ottawa Senators 14.5

Boston Bruins 14.2

Winnipeg Jets 13.3

Calgary Flames 11

Philadelphia Flyers 10.9

Pittsburgh Penguins 9.1

Colorado Avalanche 4.5

Dallas Stars 3

New Jersey Devils 2.8 (treading water but TV network will help)

Los Angeles Kings 1.8 (TV network will help. Would be better served latching onto Dodgers Network)

San Jose Sharks -0.9 (numbers will likely get worse)

Washington Capitals -1 (numbers will get better)

Nashville Predators -3.4 (those numbers will likely get better)

Minnesota Wild -3.9 (well, they have the Mall of America and a lot of medical headquarters but still, not enough of business)

Carolina Hurricanes -9.4 (would think this would work but it's obviously stealing from the Caps base)

St Louis Blues -10 (great baseball town and a down market for hockey. Will get better))

Buffalo Sabres -10.4 (the city is economically shrinking by the hour)

Anaheim Ducks -10.8 (A Disney gimmick in California - enough said)

Florida Panthers -12 (let's see - banking, tourism along with the white collar criminals. Restaurants, the Miami Hurricanes, nightlife, sex, drugs and beach.) Who will go to hockey game on a regular basis? Nobody

Tampa Bay Lightning -13.1 (lol - seriously?)

New York Islanders -16 (still no new arena and it's basically a long island fan base)

Columbus Blue Jackets -18.7 (high school football is more important than hockey. Pathetic ownership)

Phoenix Coyotes -20.6 (this town doesn't care about hockey)

Those bottom cities stink and moving those teams or eliminating them will do nothing to brand you speak of. The Isles need a new arena and Buffalo is an economic disaster. The others could easily be replaced by any of the cities I mentioned. Oh, by the way, the most of the Canadien teams are doing ok.

The staus quo sucks
    My whole point was that relocation wasn't an answer to the league's economic issues because you sai the owners were morons for being in the wrong markets.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    My whole point was that relocation wasn't an answer to the league's economic issues because you sai the owners were morons for being in the wrong markets.
    they are morons for being in the wrong markets. You said they should remain b/c of the brand. Those cities don't care about hockey. You then mentioned some sentence regarding 10 Canadian markets which didn't make much sense. You blasted Quebec claiming something about "Facts" and not making sense here on this board.

Unless the Isles get a new building, you can scratch the bottom five off or move them.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 12-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.

vCash
    they are morons for being in the wrong markets. You said they should remain b/c of the brand. Those cities don't care about hockey. You then mentioned some sentence regarding 10 Canadian markets which didn't make much sense. You blasted Quebec claiming something about "Facts" and not making sense here on this board.

Unless the Isles get a new building, you can scratch the bottom five off or move them.
    Not a single market that you mentioned was any better than where they currently are and the Isles did get a new building.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast