Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 181

Thread: Screw the NHL

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,217
    vCash
    500
    OK, so assuming exchange rates were the only reason Quebec folded (I don't necessarily buy it), what are the other 10 Canadian cities that are going to take on the teams that are running in the red?
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,799
    vCash
    2708
    The NHLs Board of Governors, same hardline owners locking out the NHL, have to approve a change in location before it can happen. Its not even up to the individual owners, same as negotiations with the CBA.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,217
    vCash
    500
    You're right, collectively, that decision is made by the collection of owners, aka, the BOG.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,799
    vCash
    2708
    what makes you think you need to move 10 teams?
    The cap would be taking down gradually, as the players proposed, rather then immediate as the owners proposed.
    It was the first and second offer the players proposed. The third was the 50/50 immediate split honor existing.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 12-05-2012 at 01:28 PM.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,217
    vCash
    500
    Because taking it down gradually isn't good enough. There's a huge difference financially. Teams can't continue to run in the red.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,799
    vCash
    2708
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Because taking it down gradually isn't good enough. There's a huge difference financially. Teams can't continue to run in the red.
    If the NHL gradually reduce the salary cap while big markets teams shared revenue no team would be in the red. Every team would be profitable by shared responsibility.
    The board then could approve teams to strong markets to increase profits if they didn't want to share.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 12-05-2012 at 01:43 PM.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,217
    vCash
    500
    But where are all these strong markets?
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,466
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    OK, so assuming exchange rates were the only reason Quebec folded (I don't necessarily buy it), what are the other 10 Canadian cities that are going to take on the teams that are running in the red?
    I never said exchange rates were the only reason it folded, you just did. Getting .71 cents on the dollar played a role. Fact is, Denver was a better marketplace and they moved.

    Want to know what's wrong with the NHL? The ownership are friggin morons who spend years without a TV contact besides the P.O.S. Versus Network which nobody could find. Congrats, they now have the NBC Network but would have been better served years ago by allowing teams like NY, L.A., Chicago and maybe Detroit to form their own networks, drive revenues, share those revenues and increase the brand equity. hello????

    Most of the owners are incompetent sports businessmen and it's quite obvious not only by their marketing efforts but by annointing ex-players, many without even high school diplomas, as their Presidents and General Managers who likely have more hockey pucks in their freezers today than books they've ever read in a lifetime.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 12-05-2012 at 04:04 PM.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,217
    vCash
    500
    Bettman just signed a 2 Billion dollar deal with NBC which is significantly larger than any TV deal the NHL has ever had.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,466
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Bettman just signed a 2 Billion dollar deal with NBC which is significantly larger than any TV deal the NHL has ever had.
    How the (blank) did you miss me saying that? I underlined it in case you miss it again.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,217
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    How the (blank) did you miss me saying that? I underlined it in case you miss it again.
    You made it out like it was a bad thing, it's the biggest deal they've ever had. What a bunch of morons. Teams forming their own networks, you know for a fact that was completely possible and the right way to go? I mean, the Rangers have MSG, the Leafs have some sort of a network, etc. It's not that easy to run a network based solely on a hockey team. How many sports franchises in general have their own network?

    I'm still waiting to hear where all these awesome markets are why the owners are so stupid for not being there.
    Last edited by fingerbang; 12-05-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,509
    vCash
    4451
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman16 View Post
    What can you do?? you serious?
    no one is making you go to games, buy the gear etc People like you are exactly why the NHL can and are doing what they're doing. They know fans will fold and they can do what they please when they please. Why do you like being controlled by a organization who is ultimately ran by fans.

    gas, electricity is one thing because its needed for survival but comparing those to the NHL is dumb.

    The NHL wouldn't make enough by people just watching the games on TV.
    Having empty arenas and no merchandise sales would lose the NHL tons of money and prove a point by the fans that were tired of being taken advantage of....
    In the end, were the ones keeping the NHL going and the reason they can make millions a year for playing a sport.

    They need to realize that and us fans needs to show were not pushovers.

    I could understand a strike every 50 years or so due to economy changes etc but this is getting ridiculous.

    As a die hard Leafs fan, I usually see about 3-4 live games a year. As a student its a lot of money and takes a decent amount of time for me to save for it. I can say when they resolve their issues and start a season, I definitely wont be purchasing any memorabilia or tickets for live games.

    If every fan did that and watched it on TV, I think that would be unreal and amazing to see.
    This is the truest post I've ever seen on PSD.
    Perfection.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,466
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    You made it out like it was a bad thing, it's the biggest deal they've ever had. What a bunch of morons. Teams forming their own networks, you know for a fact that was completely possible and the right way to go? I mean, the Rangers have MSG, the Leafs have some sort of a network, etc. It's not that easy to run a network based solely on a hockey team. How many sports franchises in general have their own network?

    I'm still waiting to hear where all these awesome markets are why the owners are so stupid for not being there.

    I never made it out to be a bad thing. Again, you said that. I said they had the stupid Versus Network and they should have included my solution prior to NBC. Nobody said "run a network based soley on a hockey team", you just said it.

    The Rangers and MSG are fine but other teams could link up with other networks the same way MSG has multiple MSG Networks. Chicago couldn't do that? The Dodgers are doing it right now. The Kings couldn't hop on? Like their healthcare system, the entire country of Canada can't figure out how to make much of anything profitable in addition to their hockey teams. Hello???? Oh look, college football across the board has teams jumping into other conferences due to the success of the Big 10 Network. Gee, I guess the NHL had versus. Your solution of keeping teams in cr@p markets for brand awareness, which is basically the status quo, doesn't work. Will it dawn on you come the fourth stoppage b/c three is obviously not sinking in?

    This is your first post in my direction requesting which markets should have NHL teams. Obviously Quebec was shot down already despite not even recognizing they exchange rate. I disagree and will list other cities in no particular order

    1. Hartford - they had a team, the city is shrinking but they do have plans for a new arena. Multiple minor league teams sport the Whalers logo and ticket sales have been solid.

    2. Seattle - it certainly is solid market yet will likely hijack those in the area supporting Vancouver

    3. Oklahoma City - if they can support an NBA team, they can support an NHL team.

    4. San Antonio - growing and growing

    5. Indy - watch what that city turns into over the next 10-15 years. Land is cheap and it's growing (perfect for Buffalo)

    6. Vegas - like everything in Vegas, it's a gamble. If it works, they'll have four major sports teams within a decade.

    others - Salt Lake City, Austin Texas, Milwaukee which are all growing.

    Let's not explore those cities b/c so many people in South America, I mean Miami, love hockey. Not to mention, the influx of scientologists into the Tampa area, which is as slow during rush hour as other cities are on a major holiday, has a lot of potential. Columbus is a solid one despite high school football being more popular on a Friday night than a Blue Jackets home game.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 12-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brandon, MB
    Posts
    6,877
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    Obviously Quebec was shot down already despite not even recognizing they exchange rate. I disagree and will list other cities in no particular order

    1. Hartford - they had a team, the city is shrinking but they do have plans for a new arena. Multiple minor league teams sport the Whalers logo and ticket sales have been solid.

    2. Seattle - it certainly is solid market yet will likely hijack those in the area supporting Vancouver

    3. Oklahoma City - if they can support an NBA team, they can support an NHL team.

    4. San Antonio - growing and growing

    5. Indy - watch what that city turns into over the next 10-15 years. Land is cheap and it's growing (perfect for Buffalo)

    6. Vegas - like everything in Vegas, it's a gamble. If it works, they'll have four major sports teams within a decade.

    others - Salt Lake City, Austin Texas, Milwaukee which are all growing.

    Let's not explore those cities b/c so many people in South America, I mean Miami, love hockey. Not to mention, the influx of scientologists into the Tampa area, which is as slow during rush hour as other cities are on a major holiday, has a lot of potential. Columbus is a solid one despite high school football being more popular on a Friday night than a Blue Jackets home game.
    Toss out San Antonio, Vegas, and Austin. They are smaller markets in the south. If teams don't work in the larger markets down there theya re not going to work in the smaller ones. Salt Lake City, Oklahoma, Indy, and Milwaukee are smaller markets that already have an NBA team so it would probably be very hard for them to support a competing sport.

    Hartford, Seattle, and Portland are probably the best options in the US. Milwaukee could be a good spot possibly but they have the Bucks, possibly a team in Madison could work. Another longshot that may be a good market would be Des Moines.

    Quebec and Hamilton/southern Ontario are the only real options in Canada.

    As much as everyone likes to point to the success of the Jets coming back they will always be a team that has a question mark beside it just like pretty much every possible relocation option. The Jets made money this year but they were still a bottom half team in terms of revenue selling out every game @ the second highest ticket prices in the league with ridiculous amounts of merchandise sales. When the momentum wears off they are going to have troubles breaking even just like Quebec will. A good deal is more important to the Jets and any potential relocation options then it is to any other team.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,217
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    I never made it out to be a bad thing. Again, you said that. I said they had the stupid Versus Network and they should have included my solution prior to NBC. Nobody said "run a network based soley on a hockey team", you just said it.

    The Rangers and MSG are fine but other teams could link up with other networks the same way MSG has multiple MSG Networks. Chicago couldn't do that? The Dodgers are doing it right now. The Kings couldn't hop on? Like their healthcare system, the entire country of Canada can't figure out how to make much of anything profitable in addition to their hockey teams. Hello???? Oh look, college football across the board has teams jumping into other conferences due to the success of the Big 10 Network. Gee, I guess the NHL had versus. Your solution of keeping teams in cr@p markets for brand awareness, which is basically the status quo, doesn't work. Will it dawn on you come the fourth stoppage b/c three is obviously not sinking in?

    This is your first post in my direction requesting which markets should have NHL teams. Obviously Quebec was shot down already despite not even recognizing they exchange rate. I disagree and will list other cities in no particular order

    1. Hartford - they had a team, the city is shrinking but they do have plans for a new arena. Multiple minor league teams sport the Whalers logo and ticket sales have been solid.

    2. Seattle - it certainly is solid market yet will likely hijack those in the area supporting Vancouver

    3. Oklahoma City - if they can support an NBA team, they can support an NHL team.

    4. San Antonio - growing and growing

    5. Indy - watch what that city turns into over the next 10-15 years. Land is cheap and it's growing (perfect for Buffalo)

    6. Vegas - like everything in Vegas, it's a gamble. If it works, they'll have four major sports teams within a decade.

    others - Salt Lake City, Austin Texas, Milwaukee which are all growing.

    Let's not explore those cities b/c so many people in South America, I mean Miami, love hockey. Not to mention, the influx of scientologists into the Tampa area, which is as slow during rush hour as other cities are on a major holiday, has a lot of potential. Columbus is a solid one despite high school football being more popular on a Friday night than a Blue Jackets home game.
    1. You're seriously saying the Kings should have had their own network all along and you're supporting that claim by bringing up the Dodgers, an incredibly popular franchise, who are just now getting one now?

    2. You're seriously saying that the NHL owners dropped the ball because the Big 10 just got a network? That's an entire conference! The popularity of that conference absolutely trumps an NHL franchise.

    Remember, you're the one who said the owners were morons for not starting their own networks during a time when basically every friggin sports franchise in the world didn't have one.

    The markets you list are no more promising than just about any of the 10-15 teams that are losing money right now.

    1. Hartford - failed

    2. Seattle - couldn't get an arena built for the supersonics.

    3. OKC/ San Antonio - they already have the Stars in Dallas and they barely make a profit. The spurs are one of the most successful NBA franchises and they still penny pinch. Oh yea, since you said Miami was South America, can I call OKC/ San Antonio... Mexico?

    4. You think a team from Buffalo, a region that actually enjoys hockey, is going to thrive in Indianapolis?

    5. Vegas can't support anything.

    It's really ridiculous that you think moving current franchises to these places is going to solve the league's economic issues. It's actually insane.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •