Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 181

Thread: Screw the NHL

  1. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    49,868
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    What are you talking about? I asked him to show me a list of cities where struggling franchises could relocate to.

    You realize that pointing out that Vegas isn't an option because of gambling is just another reason why Vegas can't be on that list?
    Hope you're having a great chuckle at nothing since I said that Vegas wasn't an option.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,549
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Hope you're having a great chuckle at nothing since I said that Vegas wasn't an option.
    I was proving him wrong, guy.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    49,868
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I was proving him wrong, guy.
    The market is viable economically. Very viable. But no league will attach itself to the gambling capital of North America. So technically you're right but economically he's still on very solid ground.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,549
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    The market is viable economically. Very viable. But no league will attach itself to the gambling capital of North America. So technically you're right but economically he's still on very solid ground.
    And you've proven that multiple times, how?

    It would be a huge risk considering over 35% of the current teams can't make a profit under the current CBA split. Change the revenue split and I might agree with you but let's not act like Vegas is a hockey market.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    49,868
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    And you've proved that multiple times, how?

    It would be a huge risk considering over 35% of the current teams can't make a profit under the current CBA split. Change the revenue split and I might agree with you but let's not act like Vegas is a hockey market.
    Vegas has $$$$. Other southern markets don't. And they don't focus their dollars on sport like Vegas. Vegas would be a huge hit. But they won't touch it for reputation reasons.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,549
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Vegas has $$$$. Other southern markets don't. And they don't focus their dollars on sport like Vegas. Vegas would be a huge hit. But they won't touch it for reputation reasons.
    I hear you but in a league where even Minnesota loses money, I'm not confident Vegas would do that well. Saying that they have money isn't going to convince me that a city based on tourism, located in the middle of the desert, is a lock to be a solid market.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    49,868
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I hear you but in a league where even Minnesota loses money, I'm not confident Vegas would do that well. Saying that they have money isn't going to convince me that a city based on tourism, located in the middle of the desert, is a lock to be a solid market.
    OK but that's the only one of three that may not work.

    Put the damn teams in the cities where hockey belongs. Vegas is an anomaly. Forget about Vegas.

    Abandon the failed southern plan, get real, drop the lame southern franchises, drop the lame expansion franchises like Columbus, add a few from hockey hotbed cities, and deal with a smaller league.

    But like grumpyoldman said, it won't happen. It doesn't suit the NHL or the PAs interests in making money.

    I just care about hockey.

    Weird huh?

    LOL

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,214
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    You mean little Israel?

    Florida was 21st in attendance. Not completely terrible. There's a lot of people with money down there. You can have a team there if they put a better product on the ice. They've never really had a star player to sell to the fans with the exception of a few years with Bure.
    Like the soccer morons, some just don't get it. They don't care about hockey.
    .
    .
    .
    .

    "We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

    Sandy Alderson: 2011.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,214
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    It's a flat out lie.



    http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2...fl-nba-models/

    10 years and a 50-50 split seams pretty reasonable if you ask me.
    LOL, to a businessman, it's an absolute joke. If the league grows the owners should have to guarantee those dollar go to the players? Not to mention, upgrades to their arenas, etc aren't the responibility of the players. So owners would upgrade their arenas, invest in marketing, etc to make more money only to have to share it with players and be forced to pay 50% to those players? That's business stupidity and nobody does that.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 12-08-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    .
    .
    .
    .

    "We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

    Sandy Alderson: 2011.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,166
    vCash
    2708
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    The NBA players receive 50%. The NFL players receive less than 50%. Last year, the NHL players received 57%.

    They've actually been some of the highest paid players over the years. It's a lie.
    The average nhl player makes the least amount of money of the major sports & it may be in a problem in a large gambling city was the point I was trying to make.
    Gary Bettman worked for the NBA before he became commissioner of the NHL, obviously he's using the NBA CBA model to strike a new deal which is fine.
    I thought the new CBA should have been offered a lot sooner & I think it should be left on the table & negotiated.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 12-09-2012 at 09:19 PM.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    166
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Goal View Post
    Im an old man whose patience has reached its end. 3 stoppages during
    Betmanns reign is enough. They have no respect for the fans whats so ever.
    They pay lip service, the the operating philosophy is screw the fans .
    The fans are the third corner of their triad but we can take them for granted.
    I for one will boycott them for the balance of whats left of any season.
    Skrew um!!!
    Well its over wrlcome to milk and honey. Whats that smell,sour milk.?

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    LOL, to a businessman, it's an absolute joke. If the league grows the owners should have to guarantee those dollar go to the players? Not to mention, upgrades to their arenas, etc aren't the responibility of the players. So owners would upgrade their arenas, invest in marketing, etc to make more money only to have to share it with players and be forced to pay 50% to those players? That's business stupidity and nobody does that.
    yep, its what I've been saying all along. I'm not even a little bit mad at the owners for this lockout. All the blame in my eyes are the money hungry 5% of the top paid players who won because of this deal, the average NHL player who will only be playing in the big leagues for 3-4 years lost here as well.


    Leafs, Raps, Jays, and Bills fan!

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,174
    vCash
    1500
    haven't seen the details of the deal, but I was on the players' side for this one. The last lockout, they gave up huge amounts of money, and when revenue increased, they're expecting a little slice back. That's fair.

    But considering how badly the last lockout went in the eyes of the public and fans, I'm extremely disappointed in the length this one went. That shows a lack of consideration to all those supporting the league, and makes me not want to watch the games.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    49,868
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Guy View Post
    haven't seen the details of the deal, but I was on the players' side for this one. The last lockout, they gave up huge amounts of money, and when revenue increased, they're expecting a little slice back. That's fair.

    But considering how badly the last lockout went in the eyes of the public and fans, I'm extremely disappointed in the length this one went. That shows a lack of consideration to all those supporting the league, and makes me not want to watch the games.
    Same.

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,515
    vCash
    2833
    I posted this in the Lockout thread, but I didn't see this thread before posting, which is really where it belongs:

    I'm curious to see what the difference between this accepted deal and the inital proposals is.

    I basically want to know if much changed or they were just being greedy bastards for nothing.

    I refuse to go to a game this year, nor spend any money on anything NHL related.

    Before you criticize me just remember that your beloved team didn't give a **** about you when they locked out and still won't when you come back kissing their *** like nothing ever happened.
    Perfection.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •