Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Panthers fire special teams coach

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...h-brian-murphy

I swear, the more this season goes on the more I'm feeling like a Raiders fan. "Durrrrr I don't care if they needed fired or not, I'm just glad someone got fired!"

I don't see the need for him to be fired, though they did claim it was for philosophical reasons, but still. That punt return yesterday wasn't the coaches fault, the players missed two tackles on the return. The shanked punts that have happened in a couple of games weren't his fault, they were the rookie punter's fault. The blocked punt against TB wasn't the coaches fault, it was Nakamura's (or maybe it was Tolbert, I don't really remeber at this point) for letting the DB come in unblocked. I just don't see any justification for why he's fired when he hasn't made any stupid calls that screwed the team. I didn't care for the game-plan we used against Hester, but to be honest it worked.

I still say the DL has saved McDermott's job for the remainder of the season, and Chud is safe as long as Rivera is HC.

vCash
    Ultimately it falls on the coaching. If they decide to play guys that are not getting the job done then its on them. Who decided to go with the rookie kicker? Is Kasay available?

vCash
    Medlock has been pretty damn good this year... give him a break.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Yeah, uhh I meant punter... is Baker available? Actually I'd rather have Kasay too!

vCash
    Rivera fired him so he could promote his buddy from Cal. I guess they don't have "philosophical differences."

This have convinced me even more that Rivera is a completely inept HC. It is totally inexcusable if he is allowed to keep his job beyond 2012. Rivera is a coordinator and a coordinator only, and any team that would ever give him a shot at being a HC again after this debacle would be utterly foolish.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killakatsfan View Post
    Ultimately it falls on the coaching. If they decide to play guys that are not getting the job done then its on them. Who decided to go with the rookie kicker? Is Kasay available?
    If this were a team with actual depth I'd agree, however, it's not. He even had James Anderson and Nakamura (both starters) in on the play. I believe I saw Kuechly, but the video I'm watching I can't make out the other players' numbers. The only person who can be blamed for the personnel on the field is already fired (Hurney).

As far as our kicker, he's done just fine. He's missed two FGs at 50 and 40-something, which isn't bad by any means. He hasn't had any chokers yet either (though he's only had an opportunity once, in the Chicago game). For a young kicker he's pleased me. Obviously he's no Kasay, but Kasay is probably on the verge of retirement.

If you meant the punter, I haven't had many problems with him either. He's a rookie, so I expected there to be problems, but so far they've been minimal (two shanked punts, only one was terrible). He's definitely been better than Baker has been in years, and imo he's looking to be the best punter we've had, outside of Sauerbrun.

I also agree that Rivera will probably be gone after this year and likely won't find another HC job for at least 5 years, if ever. I just wonder if the new GM/HC will want to keep either coordinator. I know a couple of you here don't mind McDermott, but I can't imagine him being kept given that he's not the reason the defense is succeeding. I don't see Chud being kept or choosing to stay since he's been unable to get the ground game going. I don't think he'll be able to find an HC job given how bad the team did this year.

If Rivera is destined to be fired, I'd like to see it happen soon, that away maybe Chud could be the interim HC and we could at least give him a shot for a few games. If he could get his crap together I wouldn't mind seeing him stay at OC, but not the way he's coached this season.

vCash
    How can you put it on the players? They do what they are coached to do. Anderson is a beast at lb... I doubt its that he's not good on sp coverage unit.

vCash
    Medlock can't kick a TB for his life. Decent fg kicker. The punter is inconsistent.

vCash
    I just read my previous post... I'm a little inconsistent myself. What I was trying to say is in the end its on the coaching staff. If the players are not good or the coaching is bad, its the coach who puts the players in that spot and trains them.

vCash
    How can you put it on the players? They do what they are coached to do. Anderson is a beast at lb... I doubt its that he's not good on sp coverage unit.
    I'm pretty sure they aren't coached to miss tackles. I wasn't using Anderson/Nakamura as an example of them being bad, I was just using it to point out that the special teams coach was putting quality players on special teams plays. I would imagine Gamble and Beason's injuries have pushed players out of their special teams lineups.

Medlock can't kick a TB for his life. Decent fg kicker. The punter is inconsistent.
    Medlock has a low TB percentage, but I don't know if it's his fault or the coordinator's play-calling. I know the special teams coordinator called a lot of short-kick plays against Chicago, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing it more than just to Hester. I think I heard the announcers yesterday say that the average starting place for Carolina's opponents is the 22 yard line, which imo doesn't seem that bad.

I think the punter has looked extremely well for a rookie. I think he's already a step above Baker and doesn't make one-tenth of Baker's salary. He's had some mistakes, but that's what rookies do.

I just read my previous post... I'm a little inconsistent myself. What I was trying to say is in the end its on the coaching staff. If the players are not good or the coaching is bad, its the coach who puts the players in that spot and trains them.
    I realize that's your opinion, but I just disagree. The coaching staff deserves some blame, but I doubt it should be on the S/T coordinator. I highly doubt he was the tackling coach, or the conditioning coach. His job is to call special teams plays, which so far have been pretty solid (even that punt return was a good play, if the player made the tackle he should've made it would've been a short gain.

vCash
    In the end, the game-planning and play-calling is on the coaching staff. Execution is on the players. Mike Shula, for example, can work with Newton all day long, but he can't make Newton NOT overthrow Smith. Trying to absolve the players of any responsibility is silly at best.

I'm not convinced that it's a foregone conclusion that Rivera and Co. will be gone after the season. They have had one and a half years. The offense was electric last year. They struggled to find their identity early this year and, as others have mentioned, they've only started to find it now that Kalil is injured and the O-line is porous. They still have a ways to go there. They need to get Louis Murphy off the field, and getting Gettis back will only help things.

I agree that McDermott has been saved by his defensive line play, but he must be doing something right because the defense is a LOT better than last year. Some of that is on having a relatively healthy defense and a line that has had consistent time playing together, but we're also with Gamble and Beason (again).

There has definitely been questionable play-calling on both sides of the ball. I think the offensive play-calling has improved in the last few weeks and the defensive play-calling has been mostly okay. There have also been some questionable go-for-it/don't-go-for-it decisions, some questionable timeout/no-timeout decisions, but Rivera is a young coach in his first gig. Mistakes are going to happen, just like mistakes happen with the players. I find it highly unreasonable to expect a 2-14 team to turn around be a playoff contender in only two years with an entirely new coaching staff and a lot of young, inexperienced players starting, including the QB. That they did so well at the end of last year was a bit of a tease for us fans, but I think that exceeded expectations.

And, no, I don't think Rivera fired Murphy so "his buddy from Cal" could take over. I think he sincerely thought that Rodgers could help when he was hired as assistant ST coordinator, and I think the Murphy decision was a long time coming (going back to last year). I don't think Rivera had some scheme going on to get Rodgers promoted -- what does he have to gain from that? Firing Murphy might end up saving his job by showing that he's committed to making the hard decisions, but promoting Rodgers certainly isn't going to save his job, that's just a side effect.