Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Well sure, if he hits like 2011 that'd be awesome. Unfortunately there's the other ~1200 PA's in his career where he didn't have a .370 something BABIP and he was a lot closer to a .650 OPS guy with a glove that probably doesn't belong in the infield.

vCash
    When the trade first went down, I was all for Bonifacio starting at 2B without giving it a whole lot of thought. Now that I've looked into it a bit more, Bonifacio reminds me a bit of Rajai Davis when he got here. Everyone was up on him because of speed and one very good hitting year, even though the rest of the data suggested that the one good year was an aberration. In fact, if you look at the numbers, their career trajectories are very similar. Bonifacio has the added asset of flexibility though, so he's sort of like a Rajai Davis that can play all over the diamond. Not a bad asset to have, but probably not an everyday starter at 2B.

Izturis doesn't strike out much, walks a ton, puts the ball in play, and has a good glove. Though I think Bonifacio will spell him more often than any other player, Izturis should get the bulk of the starts based on his stellar history.

vCash

Jose Bautista : Projected Lineup

Yeah, with Boni it entirely remains to be seen whether he is 2011 Bonifacio or career Bonifacio. If he can get anywhere close to tgat .360 OBP he posted in 2011, combined with his base running skills, he is an excellent everyday 2B option. Even with a ~.330 OBP he could be valuable if he performs like an elite base runner (he was 30-for-33 last season in 64 games; could be poised for a big year on the base paths if Gibby gives him the green).

Regardless, between him and Izturis we are set up fine IMO. At this point we don't really NEED much more than capable 9-hole production from that spot, and both guys are capable of exceeding that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    Yep you guys are right, I wasn't thinking about that when I was putting it together. Good call. Though, do you think Izturis starts over Bonifacio? I mean in general, I think there will be some kind of platoon but I expect Bonifacio to get most of the starts - likely at 2nd.
    Overall Izturis is the better player. he plays more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    Overall Izturis is the better player. he plays more.
    I think Bonifacio has a much higher upside. Not as good defensively, but superior offensively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    I think Bonifacio has a much higher upside. Not as good defensively, but superior offensively.
    we'll see more sacrifice bunts...and of course...stealing

vCash
    I'd say Bonifacio is marginally better offensively, and significantly worse defensively. With Reyes at short and two heavy ground ball guys in the rotation in JJ/Ricky, gimme the glove.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    I'd say Bonifacio is marginally better offensively, and significantly worse defensively. With Reyes at short and two heavy ground ball guys in the rotation in JJ/Ricky, gimme the glove.
    agreed.

vCash

Jose Bautista : Projected Lineup

I haven't seen very much/any of Bonifacio's D at 2B. Maybe you guys have, but if not- where are you getting the "poor defender" stuff from? He's only played 587 innings there in the bigs- hardly enough to get any picture of his defensive measures there (only -2.6 UZR anyways). And for what it's worth (probably not much) John Buck said he plays a "high-level second base" on Jeff Blair show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JermanJaysFan View Post
    Would be nice, but he should cost quite a bit after the season he just had at the plate. Definitely would be nice to have a thumper to just slot in the DH spot for 160 games though, without having to worry about platoons/if the guy will finally remember how to hit this year.

However, if we are going to part with assets for a slugging DH, I think it should be a lefty bat. We're a little RH heavy in terms of our power bats. Failing that, though, I think a Lind/Gomes (or a similar lefty-masher), or even Lind/Davis platoon could be quite potent.
    Feels like it's been the teams achilles heel for far too many years-The big lefty bat in the middle of the lineup. Lind was that guy...for one season. The thing is, left handed first basemen/DHs are so damn common too. Seems like every team has one...minus us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan View Post
    When the trade first went down, I was all for Bonifacio starting at 2B without giving it a whole lot of thought. Now that I've looked into it a bit more, Bonifacio reminds me a bit of Rajai Davis when he got here. Everyone was up on him because of speed and one very good hitting year, even though the rest of the data suggested that the one good year was an aberration. In fact, if you look at the numbers, their career trajectories are very similar. Bonifacio has the added asset of flexibility though, so he's sort of like a Rajai Davis that can play all over the diamond. Not a bad asset to have, but probably not an everyday starter at 2B.

Izturis doesn't strike out much, walks a ton, puts the ball in play, and has a good glove. Though I think Bonifacio will spell him more often than any other player, Izturis should get the bulk of the starts based on his stellar history.
    And I'd make the argument here that Bonafacio is just 27 years old. Just coming into his prime. In his only full season he puts up his career, so far, best. Maybe he's just a guy who needs playing time? If he can come near his 2011 numbers playing second, we really hit the jackpot in this deal. He's certainly a bonus IMO. If he gets that WAR back above 2, he'll be worthy of the starting job over Izturis.

vCash
    Bonafacio is only a better option if you believe he can hit like he did in 2011. Maicer Izturis is a much safer option, and he can hit close to league average while showing a solid glove. I think Izturis is the best option for 2B.

Also worth pointing out that the only year Bonafacio was an above average hitter he had a 372 BABIP. I don't think it's likely he'll come close to that again, and at least to this point in his career when he hasn't had the high BABIP he's had a poor season offensively.

He's a great option off the bench and late in the games but I think Izturis has to be the starter for 2013.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    we'll see more sacrifice bunts...and of course...stealing
    Not necessarily sacrifice. He's quite a master at bunting for base hits. The Tony Fernandez slap bunt down the 3rd base line is an especially advanced talent of his.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Bonafacio is only a better option if you believe he can hit like he did in 2011. Maicer Izturis is a much safer option, and he can hit close to league average while showing a solid glove. I think Izturis is the best option for 2B.

Also worth pointing out that the only year Bonafacio was an above average hitter he had a 372 BABIP. I don't think it's likely he'll come close to that again, and at least to this point in his career when he hasn't had the high BABIP he's had a poor season offensively.

He's a great option off the bench and late in the games but I think Izturis has to be the starter for 2013.
    And I do believe he has the ability to be as dynamic as he was in 2011. In which case, he's a big asset in the lineup...especially if that's what your 8th or 9th hitter can bring to the table.

If nothing else, Bonifacio/Izturis can be this years Snider/Thames debate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    Heard this on Tim and Sid....this is joey bat's opinion with the new jays lineup

1. Reyes
    2. Cabrera
    3. Bautista
    4. Encarnacion
    5. Lind
    6. Lawrie
    7. Rasmus
    8. Arencibia
    9. Bonifacio
    I completely agree with this lineup - in fact, I arrived at the same list after the Melky signing myself. When Lind is healthy and on, he's as good as hitter as there is. And whoever it was that compared Lind to Bargnani as a player who has the tools but never put it together, seems to have forgot that he hit 36 HR and won a silver slugger a few years ago. So he obviously can put it together.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast