Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Adam Lind just backed up exactly what I said , he was on the Jeff Blair show today and had some intresting things to say, said Romero is not a leader and the addition of MB will allow him to step back and take a deep breathe and that MB will be the leader and it will be great for Ricky and some of the other pitchers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedajewler View Post
    Adam Lind just backed up exactly what I said , he was on the Jeff Blair show today and had some intresting things to say, said Romero is not a leader and the addition of MB will allow him to step back and take a deep breathe and that MB will be the leader and it will be great for Ricky and some of the other pitchers.
    I'm sure Romero appreciates that Lind of all people has an opinion on leadership and that Ricky is NOT a leader. May be true, but Lind should not diminish another players leadership abilities when he has none!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    I'm sure Romero appreciates that Lind of all people has an opinion on leadership and that Ricky is NOT a leader. May be true, but Lind should not diminish another players leadership abilities when he has none!
    He was just being honest, he wasn't trashing him

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedajewler View Post
    What and how did he say it exactly?
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    Leadership=Overrated.
    That's something somebody who's never played team sports would say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
    That's something somebody who's never played team sports would say.
    No its not. This is professional sports not a rec league or a beer league. I would take Barry Bonds, Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, Hanley Ramirez, etc. on my team even if tehy are the most self centered people in the league. Especially in baseball where its much more of an individual team sport (if that even makes sense) all i care about is how good or bad you pitcher, hit, play defense. All those other intangibles are essentially useless to me and should be useless to GM's making decisions.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Here we go...
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    Here we go...
    Again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    Leadership=Overrated.
    I don't necessarily agree with that, but I've never understood why 'leadership' is of interest to fans. From a fan perspective, it's all assumption, speculation and rumour. If leadership is important in the dugout or locker room, that's fine but it's something we as fans never see or hear directly. I just care how individuals perform on the field.
    Last edited by mtf; 11-24-2012 at 06:24 AM.

vCash
    Thats a pretty weak argument. Youd take barry bonds? obviously you would. Would you take him over a player who will hit a fee less home runs and bat for a lower average but runs out every single ground ball and cheers on his teammates and actually cares about winning? i would. Yeah obviously you would take those guys, they're all time greats, but how about Shea Hillenbrand, Nyjer Morgan, Elijah Dukes and other marginal players with skill and pure selfishness? I would take a less skilled good guy like John Macdonald everyday of the week and twice on Sundays over guys like that because no, you can't have a team of selfish players. You can have selfish players and do well, but you need to have character. Could you imagine a lineup of guys who don't run out ground balls, don't run hard for fly outs, chirp the manger and other players, do you really think that a small skill upgrade warrants that? Baseball is an indiviual game more so than most other team sports, but to an extent, you won't win if nobody cares, just ask the Dodgers. How many lunatics are there on the Cardinals, the Giants? You're saying those teams don't have leadership, it's all skill, no grind? Get real. Those teams have skill and they have starts, but they also have character and that's why they're there year after year fighting for the World Series.

We have headcases on the team. How many games did Lawries inability to play a team game cost us last year..? I love Lawrie, but his selfishness brings his value down. No doubt he works hard but does he play for the team or does he play for himself.

I want skilled players, obviously, but I want the skilled players who work the hardest and want to win and do whatever they can to win because usually those tend to be the best players. The Barry Bonds of the world are the exceptions, the Ken Griffeys and Hank Aarons and the other hard workers are the rule.
    Last edited by MrForever; 11-24-2012 at 03:42 PM.

vCash
    I think "leadership" sometimes gets confused with professionalism. Halladay, for example, was a great clubhouse presence and a great asset to the team beyond what he did on the field, because if his work ethic; he showed up to the park early, kept in shape and went into each start with a gameplan. He was never considered the most out-going member of the clubhouse, however. He was not the kind of guy to take charge of a meeting or often go up to players and offer advice. If he was a leader, it was a leader by example. Those are the kinds of players you want on the team, to rub off on younger guys.

vCash
    ^ exactly. And if he was selfish and didn't care about winning, you never would have known it because he kept it to himself. He was a hard worker and did what it took to win and that's why he is one of the best pitchers of all time and a fantastic teammate too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    What and how did he say it exactly?
    you can listen to the entire thing, jeff blair show he has a website with it up there

vCash
    People should save the 'grit", "attitude" "heart" for don cherry and gregg zaun. And you would be insane to take MacDonald over Morgan or Hillenbrand. Insane. Also since when was Lawrie selfish? By all accounts everyone on the team liked the guy and had no problem with him. I would also take Lawrie over any "character" guy who has a noodle for a stick.

vCash
    Each to his own I guess.
    Last edited by MrForever; 11-24-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast