Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Gibbons is the leader and if you don't like it, he'll punch you in the face.

vCash
    Jose emerged as a leader and I think will continue to be...I don't know how anyone can come in and take over a leadership role, leaders have to come from withing...unless they carry the weight of Vizquel or Thome

vCash
    Darren Oliver is another great clubhouse leader for this team, should he decide to return. I would hope the events of the past week or so would help nudge him away from retirement. His odds of pitching in the playoffs have certainly increased dramatically. I gained so much respect for Oliver watching him pitch for the Jays this past year. I don't think I've ever seen a guy so relaxed and steady on the mound, basically looked the exact same every time we saw him. Just shows up when his number is called and throws strikes.

vCash
    Bautista is the leader.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    Bautista is the leader.
    Yup, it's Jose's team. I think the 'Leadership' quality is over-rated in sports (The Mark Messiers of the world aside) and the 'leader' is often someone who plays well, or makes plays, when things aren't going well for the team.

I think Leadership can be important, but is probably being exhibited best where we don't see it...in the clubhouse, in the dugout with a helpful suggestion or calming influence or just staying cool when those around you are starting to get rattled. If you want fireworks or discipline, that's the managers job. He's the Warden who keeps the lunatics under control and pointed in the same direction.

Jose always seems to be doing these subtle things, and is certainly the first person talked to when questions arise. He's certainly not perfect (Stop *****ing at the Umps Jose, it doesn't help!), but I don't see how anyone can not consider this his team, like it or not.

vCash
    Bautista is a leader and believe it or not so is Romero I feel. He might have sucked this past year but I gained much respect for him other day when he said he was ready to pitch in any role Jays asked him. Leaders aren't best players only but players who put the team ahead of themselves and I feel Romero did just that by saying he would pitch in any role.

vCash
    What about the need for someone who has been their before. What players on the blue jays have been in the playoffs before. People around baseball (ie Ken Rothensal etc) claimed that leadership and experience was lacking last year. How good of a job did Bautista do keeping Lawrie under wraps last year. Is a stronger perosnality of manager good enough? I still think a player like Thome could help Bautista become the leader a championship team would need.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkbluejayfan View Post
    What about the need for someone who has been their before. What players on the blue jays have been in the playoffs before. People around baseball (ie Ken Rothensal etc) claimed that leadership and experience was lacking last year. How good of a job did Bautista do keeping Lawrie under wraps last year. Is a stronger perosnality of manager good enough? I still think a player like Thome could help Bautista become the leader a championship team would need.
    Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle should help. Honestly though, I think we get someone like that at the trade deadline to play 1B/DH.

vCash
    Your probably right. I love everything that has happened so far. I just wish I knew what they could do to not be Boston of 2011 or Anahiem or Miami of 2012.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    I think the mix will change with the new experienced guys we got. The club is a lot more mature now...which I think is good.

If Buehrle stays...he'll striaght out a lot of the younger pitchers...not sure if that will be good or bad.

I want him traded but having a guy pitch 200+ for so long can only be good. It something I think we've missed since Doc left.

BTW...what's the record for pitching 200+ 15 years? Who?
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    The one player I would love to see the Jays go after yet would be Jim Thome.
    Lance Berkman.

vCash
    Bautista for sure. You can already tell because of the excitement he has shown.

As for others, Janssen will be a good presence in the pen as usual for leadership. Lawrie is one name I am sort of surprised no one has mentioned. I think he has that edge that players will relate too.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fmradioguy View Post
    Lance Berkman.
    Ummm....I never wrote that.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Leadership=Overrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkbluejayfan View Post
    Your probably right. I love everything that has happened so far. I just wish I knew what they could do to not be Boston of 2011 or Anahiem or Miami of 2012.
    Nothing.

Aneheim had very possibly the best team in all of baseball on paper and they still didn't make it. There are no guarantee's.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast