Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast
    vCash
    Christian Ponder - QB - Vikings
    Nov 25 - 4:12 PM

Christian Ponder completed 22-of-43 passes for 159 yards, one touchdown, and an interception in the Vikings' Week 12 loss to the Bears.

He scrambled twice for six yards. Ponder wasn't great, but his receivers couldn't possibly have been worse. Jarius Wright, Jerome Simpson, John Carlson, and Michael Jenkins dropped passes all over the place, and Minnesota still has no downfield element to its passing game, making the offense easy to defend. Ponder has settled in as a low-end QB2. Even if Percy Harvin (ankle) returns, Ponder will be a low-end two-quarterback league option in Week 13 at Green Bay.

Simpson: 'I was terrible' (3 drops, 1 receiving yard)
    Article by: MARK CRAIG , Star Tribune
    Updated: November 25, 2012 - 9:01 PM

The wide receiver's dismal day made for an even more forgettable first season with the Vikings.

Yes, Christian Ponder had another bad outing in a game the Vikings lost.

Yes, he talked -- again -- about his tendency to "hold the ball too long" and how his latest interception -- his ninth of the season -- is a reminder that he needs to learn "not to force the ball downfield."

And, yes, he also talked about having thick skin; being his own worst critic; needing to stay in the pocket; not making enough plays and, of course, "not giving the fans much to cheer about."

But Sunday's 28-10 loss to the Bears at Soldier Field goes beyond Ponder's 51.2 completion percentage, 159 yards, one touchdown, one interception and a miserable 58.2 passer rating that was his third-worst mark of the season.

Ponder needed more help. He needed receivers not to drop the ball.

That's essentially what sullen receiver Jerome Simpson said barely above a whisper in the losing locker room.

"It wasn't the offense, it was me," said Simpson, who had three of what was at least five dropped passes by the Vikings on Sunday. "I was terrible. I didn't make the plays I was supposed to. I just let the team down."

Simpson's first drop came on third-and-4 at the Chicago 22-yard line with 12 minutes, 26 seconds left in the first quarter. The Vikings had just taken possession of the ball at the Bears 28 when linebacker Chad Greenway recovered a Matt Forte fumble on Chicago's first offensive snap.

Ponder threw the perfect slant pass, but it went through Simpson's hands and fell incomplete.

"I'm pretty sure it could have been a different game if I catch that ball," Simpson said. "You're trying to get first downs, so it makes a difference."

Simpson would have gotten at least a first down. At best, he could have scored. Instead, the Vikings settled for a 40-yard field goal and a 3-0 lead after moving the ball only 6 yards in three plays.

Simpson's other drops came late in the third quarter on a drive that ended on downs at the Chicago 8 early in the fourth quarter. Overall, Simpson caught just one of five balls thrown his way for 1 yard.

That's hardly the help Ponder was expecting when the Vikings signed Simpson to a one-year free-agent deal this past offseason. Simpson came in as a potential No. 1 receiver with tremendous upside. Now, with just 12 catches for 138 yards, no touchdowns, three games missed because of a suspension and another missed because of a leg injury, he could be looking at the final five weeks of his Vikings career.

Ponder tried to take the blame for the drops, which also included one by tight end John Carlson and one by receiver Stephen Burton. He also said he's not ready to give up on Simpson.

"Jerome is a heck of a player," Ponder said. "Obviously, we've seen him do tremendous things. I have to keep trying to get the ball to him and let him make plays. He is going to have a huge impact on this team, and we're going to keep coming to him."

Simpson said he's not giving up either.

"I'm frustrated because we lost and the game that I had," he said. "I don't think I've ever had this many drops in a game before. I just got to focus. I always find a way to refocus."

Clearly, coach Leslie Frazier expects Simpson to refocus ASAP.

"That's why you're a wide receiver in the NFL," he said. "You've got to catch the ball."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...180776581.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Christian Ponder - QB - Vikings
    Nov 25 - 4:12 PM

Simpson: 'I was terrible' (3 drops, 1 receiving yard)
    Article by: MARK CRAIG , Star Tribune
    Updated: November 25, 2012 - 9:01 PM
    Not very easy to find much of a silver lining but at least Simpson is owning up to it. It was NEVER Berrian's fault when he sucked.

Hopefully as I type this both Ponder and Simpson are involved in a drunken brawl over who gets to take responsibility for the loss.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    A win next week and you guys are in sole possession of 2nd and in the drivers seat for a WC. Not all things that came out of today was bad for y'all!
    No ideas for the moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    I hope the franchise realizes that they can't take a short cut on getting a good QB, but lets look fro a sleeper backup somewhere, because that's the sure-fire way to find a good QB right? What's that you say, try to develop one, heh no why would we do that, if the road gets too bumpy we'll just give up on him.

I can't wait to see Harvin and Wright on the field at the same time, then we might have something happen in the passing game for once. Our WRs are s*%# and if we spend top picks trading for/drafting a QB then we deserve all the mediocrity we're going to get from our unimproved passing game and the holes that losing these draft picks are going to create in our roster.
    What you talkin about Willis? I just listed where Minnesota needs to add talent thats all. Obviously the Vikings arent drafting a QB high but to sit there and act like they dont need to add talent and competition at that position is craziness. QB play is not a strength for this football team just like WR isnt just like OG isnt just like alot of positions they need to address with an addition of talent creating some competition. Stop being so Ponderiffically sensative I didnt even say anything about the kid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBears1990 View Post
    A win next week and you guys are in sole possession of 2nd and in the drivers seat for a WC. Not all things that came out of today was bad for y'all!
    Very true man, appreciate the positive note in a pretty negative forum tonight. Today's game should have been a lot closer. I would love to see the outcome if we could redo the second quarter. I will be cheering for you guys against the Seahawks next week, we need it for the wildcard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBears1990 View Post
    Good game today boys. It was rough, but do understand the Bears came off an *** whooping and most teams respond better the game after.

Good news is, the Bucs and Seahawks both lost, so you guys are still in sold position especially with a Packers loss (hopefully).

You guys are still in good shape and control your own destiny, good luck next week and see you guys again in two!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauer.400 View Post
    Very true man, appreciate the positive note in a pretty negative forum tonight. Today's game should have been a lot closer. I would love to see the outcome if we could redo the second quarter. I will be cheering for you guys against the Seahawks next week, we need it for the wildcard.
    Exactly my feelings man, especially with each of our opponents next week, if we both win, we can help each other out tremendously!
    No ideas for the moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    What you talkin about Willis? I just listed where Minnesota needs to add talent thats all. Obviously the Vikings arent drafting a QB high but to sit there and act like they dont need to add talent and competition at that position is craziness. QB play is not a strength for this football team just like WR isnt just like OG isnt just like alot of positions they need to address with an addition of talent creating some competition. Stop being so Ponderiffically sensative I didnt even say anything about the kid.
    You didn't have to.
    "Anyone got a list of decent trade options at QB, maybe a sleeper playing back up somewhere."

Don't get cute, you're talking about getting a new starting QB. I really don't think we should be trading for a QB, we should look to free agency to find a better backup than Webb, and make Webb into a gadget player where he can actually do some good.

I don't have any problems with making Ponder compete for the starting job, they just need to be careful how they spread the reps around.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    I've calmed down since the loss and gathered up a few thoughts. We cannot blame this loss soley on one person. Our whole team was not playing well... We faced a terrible O line and managed one sack on Cutler as he fell down. To get a QB outta rythm starts with pressure up front, with guys like Jared Allen, Brian Robison Kevin Williams and Everson Griffen that's simply not acceptable. Especially when we know t
    What there capable of. This should of been a 5 sack minimum game. Which leads me to our next problem, our backfield is still in bad shape. I am not so sure Jefferson was that great of addition, I watched him get beat many times over the last few weeks. He needs to work on his coverage. Two players we can always count on on defense is Antwon Winfield and Chad Greenway.

We don't have a defense who has a sole leader as say the ravens do in Ray Lewis. Someone who is out there getting the defense jacked up, getting them wanting to crush the competition.. It's hard on a team to spend over half the game on defense and not be able to close out them 3rd and long situations. Cutler converted many 3rd downs and the problem is, we knew before the game his main man was Marshall and we still could not manage to cover him and still allowed him to grab 12 catches for 92 yards... That alone is enough to damage a defenses confidence. On top of that he was hitting his tight ends and allowing the RBs to basically pick up first downs at will.

Then on our offense, we have a HUGE problem at gaurds position still. Fusco and Johnson get beat constantly. I honestly don't know why we haven't replaced one of them with Schwartz yet? I've put way, way to much heat and hate on Christian Ponder lately. This whole poor passing game is not only his fault. He simply is trying to make it work with basically nothing. With Percy sidelined with a injury, I gasp everytime Christian has to throw the ball. Because of our terrible gaurds the kids forced to be mobile and throw on the run, which is not his strong point. Devin Aromashodu, Jerome Simpson, Stephen Burton and John Carlson need to get gone ASAP. These are not guys who are going to help us move forward and go anywhere passed a .500 record. Not one of them has helped us this far and honestly are just hurting us more than they are bettering us taking up cap room and roster spots.

Rick Spielman needs to go into free agency and make a splash. He needs to commit to getting us atleast 2 more playmakers on offense. We have the best RB in the NFL hands down. We have someone who is a game changing dynamic player everytime he touches the ball in Percy Harvin. We need a deep threat and a bigger go up and get it type reciever. I'd love to bring in Woods or Hunter. Have spielman pull a move like he did to grab Harrison Smith. If he cant, I'd like to grab one of them guys and grab a WR in FA who's able to make a splash in our offense. Harvin, Wright, Hunter or Woods, Jenkins, and a FA WR and I think well be sitting good as a WR Core.

I'm sure your all suprised to see me say keep Jenkins but, honestly of our WR outside of Percy and Jarius these last couple weeks Molasses Mike has been the most sure handed WR we got. He isn't fast but he's usually there to catch it when his numbers called. He's grown on me... Burton and Simpson are both terrible.... There not worth giving another chance.. There's plenty of WR we can pick up for what we pay them who will give us more of a effort and show us something vs dropping the ball everytime there numbers called.

I believe if we add a couple WR and have a healthy AP and Rudolph we will watch Ponder form into a good QB. He's a leader, the team likes him I just feel the best thing for him is to get Musgrave gone ASAP. He is not good for Ponder an I believe hes only damaging what we could have.. This team isn't far out from playoff contendors. Look what we have done so far this year after a 3-13 season last year. We are a young team, if we get a coach on offense who isn't a puke like Musgrave I really feel with our young talent were gonna be dominating for years to come... Does anyone else feel this way or am I the only one feeling this way?

vCash
    [QUOTE=100%CHEESE FREE;24461227]You didn't have to.
    "Anyone got a list of decent trade options at QB, maybe a sleeper playing back up somewhere."

Don't get cute, you're talking about getting a new starting QB. I really don't think we should be trading for a QB, we should look to free agency to find a better backup than Webb, and make Webb into a gadget player where he can actually do some good.

I don't have any problems with making Ponder compete for the starting job, they just need to be careful how they spread the reps around.[/QUOTE

What about bringing in a guy like Matt Moore? He may have been beaten out by Tannehill, but having a little competition might light a fire under Ponders ***.

vCash
    [QUOTE=PurpleSmurfs808;24461931]
    You didn't have to.

I don't have any problems with making Ponder compete for the starting job, they just need to be careful how they spread the reps around.[/QUOTE

What about bringing in a guy like Matt Moore? He may have been beaten out by Tannehill, but having a little competition might light a fire under Ponders ***.
    I am going to keep supporting Christian but I feel Matt Moore would be a great competition for CP7 but, you know how Frazier is. If Christian threw2TD and 7 interceptions and Moore threw 6 TD in preseason, Frazier would still choose CP7 so I feel like bringing.in a back up wouldn't so much with Fraziers loyalty to players.

vCash
    You didn't have to.

I don't have any problems with making Ponder compete for the starting job, they just need to be careful how they spread the reps around.
    Despite your condescending tone ill address this very simply. I would set the bar alot higher than a sleeper playing back up somewhere that is so obsure that I, a person that follows the game would ask for a list of such players hoping a name would catch my eye. Knowing this because i am well aware there is no easy fix major upgrade option worth risking multiple draft picks on to come in and be the unquestioned starter. Thank you and good evening
    Last edited by dimgim; 11-26-2012 at 02:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    Despite your condescending tone ill address this very simply. I would set the bar alot higher than a sleeper playing back up somewhere that is so obsure that I, a person that follows the game would ask for a list of such players hoping a name would catch my eye. Knowing this because i am well aware there is no easy fix major upgrade option worth risking multiple draft picks on to come in and be the unquestioned starter. Thank you and good evening
    Well you've consistently been one of the harshest critics of Ponder on here, repeatedly calling for him to be replaced. What he does in a game is a product of the team, the players around him on the offense, the game plan
    and adaptations (or lack thereof), its not all on him. Quite a bit of it is, and the man has to stand on his own too feet, he has a big share of the responsibility but sometimes that responsibility goes too far. Its easy to put it all on him but when others are consistently undermining him with their poor performance something must be said. In a lot of cases for people on here, Christian Ponder is the name and face that you associate with our failures this year he's the Vikings' fall guy. In my opinion, if we put higher stock in replacing him than we do in fixing some of the fundamental problems we have with this team, all we're doing is squandering draft picks and getting ourselves a new fall guy.

As far as a QB list goes, take a look at this thread here

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=776941

not to pump myself up but I think I covered a lot of the bases here, about the only name I left off the list was Alex Smith because at that time he was still the unquestioned starter for the 9ers.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    [QUOTE=KeepinItTwizted;24461973]
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSmurfs808 View Post

I am going to keep supporting Christian but I feel Matt Moore would be a great competition for CP7 but, you know how Frazier is. If Christian threw2TD and 7 interceptions and Moore threw 6 TD in preseason, Frazier would still choose CP7 so I feel like bringing.in a back up wouldn't so much with Fraziers loyalty to players.
    I still say that people are over-rating Frazier's loyalty. He's given guys chances (Berrian, McNabb, to a point Tyrell Johnson remaining on the roster, could get picky and say Sanford as well but I think Sanford justified his roster spot by what he did since Raymond got hurt) but he's also cut the cord on more than a few players too (Madieu Williams, Tyrell Johnson, E.J. Henderson, Pat Williams, benching of Ced Griffin).

If another QB out-gunned Ponder in the pre-season, that guy WOULD be the starter if Frazier thought he gave the team the best chance to win.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Just rewatched the game this morning and have a few things.
    First off I liked the play of Jarius Wright and would rather see him playing over Jenkins or Simpson at this point. I thought he runs great routes, has about as good of hands as Harvins, and has great speed. You can tell he has alot of instincts for the game too and is alot more mature than jumping bean simpson or just too slow Jenkins.
    At this point, when Harvin does come back they need to fix this WR core as bad as the middle of our O-line.
    Hands. O my gosh! I first thought while coming back from church while the game was on and heard Ponders competion percentage, I was like "oh crap, here we go again."
    But after rewatching the game, there was no hands. Like I said, I was pleased with Wrights hands and route running and Rudolph's play too.
    Carlson? the H###? somebody tell me why he is here? Bring back the sassage or something. Paying that kind of money for this bum? what a dud spielman.
    Fussco? What the H###? they put the schwartz in too late and I hope they fix this line problem.
    No pressure from our D-line.
    Winfield played a good game against an awsome WR but A.J. should have had him with help instead of Winfield running after him all game.
    Peterson ran so strong! what a beast.
    Ponder does need a good vet behind him. I do like Matt Moore, but I like Chase Daniel a little more. Daniel is a winner and has a good head on his shoulders and knows how to use it. He would be a great pickup next season.
    Our middle of the O-line needs fixed. Sully, Johnson, and Fussco. I like the Schwartz as a back up, but Sully does not fit nor Johnson. This area needs tore down and fixed as bad as our WR core.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    In all honesty, the Bears are just a better team than us this year.

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast