Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 78
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    9,776
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by thedon01 View Post
    Both
    Not only are they not going to trade romo, they are going to give him a contract extension.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,848
    vCash
    1500
    okay? What's that have to do with the question you asked me?

    If you read through my posts i never said "the Dallas Cowboys are going to trade Romo". I clearly made the point that I believe Romo can do more for this team via a trade then actually being on the team.

    We're not debating whether or not the Cowboys "will" trade Romo, we're debating whether or not they "should".

    "
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NE Penna (God's Country)
    Posts
    26,490
    vCash
    1500
    IMO, trading Romo means that JJ has given up on the chance to win in the next few years...I can't see him EVER saying that...thus, while Tony would get a deecent return, I can't see him being traded. It is unfortunate that virtually every one of my thoughts on improving the Cowboys stems from JJ's ego having a piece of the decision...it is frustrating!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    885
    vCash
    1500
    I think we can all agree that our o-line is the weakest link followed by our d-line. If you want to build a champion, you do it from the inside out. How many times has it been said that the game is won in the trenches.

    I don't care how we go about it but both need to be addressed in free-agency and the draft. If we can sign 2 pieces of the puzzle in free-agency then we can look to the draft to fill-in the rest.

    We definitely need help at the interior of the line and Doug Free is doing nothing to suggest he deserved the contract he received. Smith will grow into that LT spot, he's young and athletic and he'll be a leader on that line. We need to build around him.

    Linebacker is in decent shape with the exception of what to do with Spencer. Running back is going to need to be addressed since we can't go into each week wondering who's going to be healthy. I love Murray but he's obviously prone to being injured. Safety may be alright when Church returns, but I won't commit to that just yet, I want to see more.

    Bottom line is we're going to need ATLEAST 2 new starting o-linemen, three would be preference. We need to generate a better pass rush and we'll need a RB behind Murray.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    9,776
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by thedon01 View Post
    okay? What's that have to do with the question you asked me?

    If you read through my posts i never said "the Dallas Cowboys are going to trade Romo". I clearly made the point that I believe Romo can do more for this team via a trade then actually being on the team.

    We're not debating whether or not the Cowboys "will" trade Romo, we're debating whether or not they "should".
    im sorry then.

    but, i asked if that was what you wanted to happen, or if you thought that was in the realm of possibility...

    IMO, that is not in the realm of possibility, and my post was just stating that not only would that not happen, but they are going to extend him has well...

    not meant to be abrasive, sorry if it was.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Friendswood, TX
    Posts
    2,803
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    we just signed Church to a 3 year deal so i doubt we go safety any earlier than 5. Also jerry and I have seen the boy Matt Johnson play and when he is healthy will take over a starting safety spot. Sensi got a deal last season and won't be going anywhere and McCray is one of the best on special teams. We most likely won't go CB because for some reason JJ loves Scandrick.
    I disagree, about FS. We don't have a true ballhawk on our roster, Matt Johnson hasn't shown he can stay healthy and could be good, but he hasn't shown anything on this level yet. The Cowboys if they can get a ballhawk back there would be quietly putting together one of the more formidable Secondaries in the NFL.

    We know what we have in Sensi, and he is an average Safety, at best. Church/McCray could wind up being the SS next year, but I think the coaching staff takes a hard look at upgrading the back end of that defense. Every year we come in with hypotheticals, like Johnson.

    Also, Church is hurt and the contract they gave him was a very low risk contract. When he was in, he was okay but didn't blow me away and I actually think McCray has performed as well as Church could this year. Now maybe Church grows and develops more but he is already a vet.

    This FS class is very deep and it would not hurt to get as many players back there as possible. We are in a dicey situation now with our Safeties and I would rather not play the Safety carousel for the next 4 years.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    vCash
    1500
    Ok I know I'm a "new guy" and no offense to anyone. But. Why are we discussing the draft and for heavans sake trading romo??? I know we have a horrible line but with our makeshift o-line we have still been in nearly everygame and we have won two straight... imo I think our draft pick value may be a "little lower" than your assuming. I don't know but its still too early to be discussing draft. And REALLY TRADE ROMO??

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas Baby
    Posts
    4,547
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bhooks80 View Post
    I disagree, about FS. We don't have a true ballhawk on our roster, Matt Johnson hasn't shown he can stay healthy and could be good, but he hasn't shown anything on this level yet. The Cowboys if they can get a ballhawk back there would be quietly putting together one of the more formidable Secondaries in the NFL.

    We know what we have in Sensi, and he is an average Safety, at best. Church/McCray could wind up being the SS next year, but I think the coaching staff takes a hard look at upgrading the back end of that defense. Every year we come in with hypotheticals, like Johnson.

    Also, Church is hurt and the contract they gave him was a very low risk contract. When he was in, he was okay but didn't blow me away and I actually think McCray has performed as well as Church could this year. Now maybe Church grows and develops more but he is already a vet.

    This FS class is very deep and it would not hurt to get as many players back there as possible. We are in a dicey situation now with our Safeties and I would rather not play the Safety carousel for the next 4 years.
    We are stuck with Sensi just as we are with Scandrick because they both robbed Jerry Jones at the same time. Church is better than McCray because McCray can only tackle he can't play in coverage at all. On most passing downs Ryan is starting to take him out and put peprah in the game. Johnson in college atleast should he can hit and cover I still would have rather went after Landry because the guy is a beast. The contract JJ gave Church might be low risk but the injury he has he will most likely never be the same player
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    9,776
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    We are stuck with Sensi just as we are with Scandrick because they both robbed Jerry Jones at the same time. Church is better than McCray because McCray can only tackle he can't play in coverage at all. On most passing downs Ryan is starting to take him out and put peprah in the game. Johnson in college atleast should he can hit and cover I still would have rather went after Landry because the guy is a beast. The contract JJ gave Church might be low risk but the injury he has he will most likely never be the same player
    rob ryan is primary responsible for us signing scandrick. he pushed jerry to do it early. jerry is not a ruthless dictator. he got information from his coaches, DC, and his staff, and based on what they said, resigned him. the main person pushing for him to get that contract was rob ryan.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Friendswood, TX
    Posts
    2,803
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    We need a RB because Murray has proved since college that he is going to miss games and that won't fail. Cooper I like more because he isn't coming from some power house school. I don't like the drafting of power house school players because they seem to be bust in the NFL and regular D1 school players seem to be better in the NFL. Kenjon Barner or Ellington would be the RB i would target because of the speed. I also wouldn't be opposed to drafting knile Davis, but i would prefer the top 2 picks to be O-line help. We all have to realize that Smith is not a LT and has never played LT thats like moving a FS to CB
    agreed. I think we need to get a RB in the first 4 rounds. Also I would love to sign a RT In FA and draft OG round one. Tyron will be a great LT just needs a season or two. He will be a pro bowl RT right now. Give him time.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,848
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post
    im sorry then.

    but, i asked if that was what you wanted to happen, or if you thought that was in the realm of possibility...

    IMO, that is not in the realm of possibility, and my post was just stating that not only would that not happen, but they are going to extend him has well...

    not meant to be abrasive, sorry if it was.
    i know you didn't mean anything negative.

    Should Romo be traded? - Yes, my reasoning? = he doesn't possess the necessary skill set to lead a team to championship success. This skill set is more of the unseen than the seen.

    Could Romo be traded? - Yes, my reasoning? =

    1. QB's have been traded before.
    2. If the Cowboys were to get a fairly high pick they'd have the opportunity to draft a young heir apparent, thus giving them the luxury of yielding some value by trading Romo.
    3. The Romo experiment has not produced success
    4. You can get a decent return for a 30 something quarterback.
    5. You can free up a chunk of money if he's traded
    6. There's plenty of teams that believe they're one piece away from contending, thus in need of a top quarterback.

    All of those reasons fall into the phrase "realm of possibility".

    Now if you'd like me to take a guess at what "will" happen I'd say that i agree with Fred and yourself. Trading Romo = Jerry realizing his mistakes and having to admit publicly he was wrong. We have a better chance of avoiding a financial crisis as a country than having Jerry put his ego aside for the betterment of the team.
    Last edited by thedon01; 11-22-2012 at 05:04 PM.

    "
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,848
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Alone Star View Post
    Ok I know I'm a "new guy" and no offense to anyone. But. Why are we discussing the draft and for heavans sake trading romo??? I know we have a horrible line but with our makeshift o-line we have still been in nearly everygame and we have won two straight... imo I think our draft pick value may be a "little lower" than your assuming. I don't know but its still too early to be discussing draft. And REALLY TRADE ROMO??
    i think you need to look a little deeper into those theories to understand the points people are trying to make.

    1. Discussing the draft = because people believe we desperately need some changes in key areas of the team.

    2. Trading Romo = I believe he's not what this team needs. This was also during the off season, not now.

    3. Winning two straight = over 2 mediocre teams; the eagles and the browns. That's not like saying we beat the Steelers and the Ravens.

    My opinion is that as long as Jerry is running this team we'll always be disappointed. Now to appease some of the threads and to pretend that Jerry isn't a detriment I have stated tasks I believe the Cowboys could benefit from, one of which is trading Romo. I've never been high on his ability, people will tell you that. My reasons go deeper than statistics because playing football or any sport is far more mental than it is physical. Thus why I believe recognizing Romo's failures and selling him while the price is still high can give this team a better chance than handcuffing the future by resigning a 30 something year old QB who doesn't possess the skill set needed to lead a team to championship success.

    Here's one more tidbit to consider: Romo is not a pocket passer. He's in his low 30's and has taken a beating over the years. What happens when his legs diminish? Being an investor, which is what a team owner is, has to know when to get in and when to get out.

    "
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    694
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post
    rob ryan is primary responsible for us signing scandrick. he pushed jerry to do it early. jerry is not a ruthless dictator. he got information from his coaches, DC, and his staff, and based on what they said, resigned him. the main person pushing for him to get that contract was rob ryan.
    I thought Scandrick was resigned before Rob Ryan was signed as our defensive coordinator...

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    694
    vCash
    1500

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by thedon01 View Post
    i know you did and i answered you.

    Should Romo be traded? - Yes, my reasoning? = he doesn't possess the necessary skill set to lead a team to championship success. This skill set is more of the unseen than the seen.

    Could Romo be traded? - Yes, my reasoning? =

    1. QB's have been traded before.
    2. If the Cowboys were to get a fairly high pick they'd have the opportunity to draft a young heir apparent, thus giving them the luxury of yielding some value by trading Romo.
    3. The Romo experiment has not produced success
    4. You can get a decent return for a 30 something quarterback.
    5. You can free up a chunk of money if he's traded
    6. There's plenty of teams that believe they're one piece away from contending, thus in need of a top quarterback.

    All of those reasons fall into the phrase "realm of possibility".

    Now if you'd like me to take a guess at what "will" happen I'd say that i agree with Fred. Trading Romo = Jerry realizing his mistakes and having to admit publicly he was wrong. We have a better chance of avoiding a financial crisis than having Jerry put his ego aside for the betterment of the team.
    Hmmm, just asking, wouldn't Romo's value not be so hight since he's 32 and also because he doesn't posses the skills to lead a team like you said? And wouldn't you think trading Romo would only make this team poorer? And would it be smart to trade Romo if there was a cap hit? I think we just should build the offensive line and upgrade the d-line as well. I just think the dumb *** owner isn't gonna get it right, as long as he's in control we never gonna build a contending championship caliber team.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,848
    vCash
    1500
    okay let's ponder this for a moment. It's very logical point to consider that if the Cowboys don't value Romo then no other team will, but it's also very bias and self conceded. The NFL and other teams don't revolve around the Dallas Cowboys, so just because we do something doesn't mean everyone follows suit. Our team hasn't been relevant since the mid 90's. I hope you know what I mean by that.

    Now I am absolutely certain that I'm in the minority when I say trading Romo is a smart move, and I'm also certain that other teams don't trust my assessment, so there's definitely going to be some takers on the market. It's the same blindfold that's been around the eyes of Marino and Favre lovers. People see stats and fall in love, so do other owners, one being Jones himself.

    If Carson Palmer and Kevin Kolb could yield the return they did than Romo can at least match a combination of the two. So even when the Bengals and Eagles both sold their starting QB's to other teams there were plenty of takers. The same theory can at minimal, be applied to Romo.

    Romo is 32, at some point he's out the door. Would you want to invest a long term contract on a 32 year old player or start with someone different? Romo's extension > rookie QB in the mid 1st round. I've seen all I've needed to see with Romo and at some point you have to admit he's not the right guy for the job. I'd prefer to do it when I can yield something in return even if that means taking a cap hit because the hit is inevitable. As for making the team worse, what's worse than the post season and championship lack we've been so accustomed to for the last decade and a half? It can't get much worse than what we already have.

    BTW I wouldn't trade Romo outright until I knew I was drafting a QB to replace him.
    Last edited by thedon01; 11-22-2012 at 05:19 PM.

    "
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •