Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 78

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas Baby
    Posts
    4,635
    vCash
    750

    Quick draft question

    If we were able to resign Spencer and keep the core defense and offense together, should we spend our 1st and 2nd round picks on O-linemen? To me the only major weakness besides Garretts play calling is the o-line. I would offer a top money to Jake Long if Miami doesn't resign or tag him and move Smith back to RT. Then with my first picks I would look at Johnathan Cooper, Chance Warmack, and Barrett Jones, would prefer Cooper out of all though. I think if we address the line with the 1-3 round picks and can pick up a lineman in free agency we would be super bowl contenders
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Amarillo, Tx
    Posts
    2,545
    vCash
    1500
    If we re sign spencer I don't know if we'll have enough money for a jake long or Ryan clady or any other top linemen. I also don't think it'd be wise to move Tyron smith AGAIN. I say at least the first rounder goes for an offensive linemen, because we need depth on the dline too. Maybe we can draft a good tackle to replace free, have free restructure his deal and see how he does at guard. At 6'6 325 he has great size for the inside, and being on the inside would make him less susceptible to getting beat by speed rushers. Then again, he might get overpowered on the inside. All I know is we better do something about this line, while resigning spencer.

    titties

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    104
    vCash
    1500
    I agree with you blacknell... our oline is decent at pass blocking but these can't run block for the life of them, I've never seen a worse Oline at run blocking than what we are looking at...we just have to hope and pray we get better,because I want to see them go on a run here...it'd be a big win to beat the skins on thanksgiving, and then the eagles to slap them around...that'd be 4 in a row, it'd be a huge, but we are used to the cowboys letting us down every year at the end, hopefully it changes this year...I LOVE THE COWBOYS

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Amarillo, Tx
    Posts
    2,545
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by americasteam88 View Post
    I agree with you blacknell... our oline is decent at pass blocking but these can't run block for the life of them, I've never seen a worse Oline at run blocking than what we are looking at...we just have to hope and pray we get better,because I want to see them go on a run here...it'd be a big win to beat the skins on thanksgiving, and then the eagles to slap them around...that'd be 4 in a row, it'd be a huge, but we are used to the cowboys letting us down every year at the end, hopefully it changes this year...I LOVE THE COWBOYS
    Allowing seven sacks (career high for romo) at least 3 qb hits, 50+ yards of sack yardage, yea that line is pretty decent in pass blocking.

    titties

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Friendswood, TX
    Posts
    2,803
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    If we were able to resign Spencer and keep the core defense and offense together, should we spend our 1st and 2nd round picks on O-linemen? To me the only major weakness besides Garretts play calling is the o-line. I would offer a top money to Jake Long if Miami doesn't resign or tag him and move Smith back to RT. Then with my first picks I would look at Johnathan Cooper, Chance Warmack, and Barrett Jones, would prefer Cooper out of all though. I think if we address the line with the 1-3 round picks and can pick up a lineman in free agency we would be super bowl contenders
    Chance Warmack is by far the best of that bunch IMO.
    I would for sure draft him in the 1st. We would have gotten a steal if we are able to pick him in the 20's.The OG class is top heavy in the 1st but really slides after that to the 4th. We need to pull the trigger early if we expect an impact on our OL.
    I also love the DT class in the 1st, but not as major of need with Josh Brent emerging behind Rat.

    In the 2nd I am not sure I would reach for an OC and we need a veteran OT to step in, but there are a few good prospects that could be had in the 2nd.

    I have a short list of
    Landry Jones(QB)
    Brandon Jenkins (OLB)
    Montee Ball(RB)
    Tyler Eifert(TE)
    Kyle Long (RT)
    Kenny Vaccaro (FS)
    Desmond Trufant(CB)
    Ezekiel Ansah(DE/OLB)
    Andre Ellington(RB)
    Last edited by bhooks80; 11-20-2012 at 01:56 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas Baby
    Posts
    4,635
    vCash
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by bhooks80 View Post
    Chance Warmack is by far the best of that bunch IMO.
    I would for sure draft him in the 1st. We would have gotten a steal if we are able to pick him in the 20's.The OG class is top heavy in the 1st but really slides after that to the 4th. We need to pull the trigger early if we expect an impact on our OL.
    I also love the DT class in the 1st, but not as major of need with Josh Brent emerging behind Rat.

    In the 2nd I am not sure I would reach for an OC and we need a veteran OT to step in, but there are a few good prospects that could be had in the 2nd.

    I have a short list of
    Landry Jones(QB)
    Brandon Jenkins (OLB)
    Montee Ball(RB)
    Tyler Eifert(TE)
    Kyle Long (RT)
    Kenny Vaccaro (FS)
    Desmond Trufant(CB)
    Ezekiel Ansah(DE/OLB)
    Andre Ellington(RB)
    we just signed Church to a 3 year deal so i doubt we go safety any earlier than 5. Also jerry and I have seen the boy Matt Johnson play and when he is healthy will take over a starting safety spot. Sensi got a deal last season and won't be going anywhere and McCray is one of the best on special teams. We most likely won't go CB because for some reason JJ loves Scandrick. We need a RB because Murray has proved since college that he is going to miss games and that won't fail. Cooper I like more because he isn't coming from some power house school. I don't like the drafting of power house school players because they seem to be bust in the NFL and regular D1 school players seem to be better in the NFL. Kenjon Barner or Ellington would be the RB i would target because of the speed. I also wouldn't be opposed to drafting knile Davis, but i would prefer the top 2 picks to be O-line help. We all have to realize that Smith is not a LT and has never played LT thats like moving a FS to CB
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Friendswood, TX
    Posts
    2,803
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    we just signed Church to a 3 year deal so i doubt we go safety any earlier than 5. Also jerry and I have seen the boy Matt Johnson play and when he is healthy will take over a starting safety spot. Sensi got a deal last season and won't be going anywhere and McCray is one of the best on special teams. We most likely won't go CB because for some reason JJ loves Scandrick.
    I disagree, about FS. We don't have a true ballhawk on our roster, Matt Johnson hasn't shown he can stay healthy and could be good, but he hasn't shown anything on this level yet. The Cowboys if they can get a ballhawk back there would be quietly putting together one of the more formidable Secondaries in the NFL.

    We know what we have in Sensi, and he is an average Safety, at best. Church/McCray could wind up being the SS next year, but I think the coaching staff takes a hard look at upgrading the back end of that defense. Every year we come in with hypotheticals, like Johnson.

    Also, Church is hurt and the contract they gave him was a very low risk contract. When he was in, he was okay but didn't blow me away and I actually think McCray has performed as well as Church could this year. Now maybe Church grows and develops more but he is already a vet.

    This FS class is very deep and it would not hurt to get as many players back there as possible. We are in a dicey situation now with our Safeties and I would rather not play the Safety carousel for the next 4 years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8
    vCash
    1500
    Ok I know I'm a "new guy" and no offense to anyone. But. Why are we discussing the draft and for heavans sake trading romo??? I know we have a horrible line but with our makeshift o-line we have still been in nearly everygame and we have won two straight... imo I think our draft pick value may be a "little lower" than your assuming. I don't know but its still too early to be discussing draft. And REALLY TRADE ROMO??

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,852
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Alone Star View Post
    Ok I know I'm a "new guy" and no offense to anyone. But. Why are we discussing the draft and for heavans sake trading romo??? I know we have a horrible line but with our makeshift o-line we have still been in nearly everygame and we have won two straight... imo I think our draft pick value may be a "little lower" than your assuming. I don't know but its still too early to be discussing draft. And REALLY TRADE ROMO??
    i think you need to look a little deeper into those theories to understand the points people are trying to make.

    1. Discussing the draft = because people believe we desperately need some changes in key areas of the team.

    2. Trading Romo = I believe he's not what this team needs. This was also during the off season, not now.

    3. Winning two straight = over 2 mediocre teams; the eagles and the browns. That's not like saying we beat the Steelers and the Ravens.

    My opinion is that as long as Jerry is running this team we'll always be disappointed. Now to appease some of the threads and to pretend that Jerry isn't a detriment I have stated tasks I believe the Cowboys could benefit from, one of which is trading Romo. I've never been high on his ability, people will tell you that. My reasons go deeper than statistics because playing football or any sport is far more mental than it is physical. Thus why I believe recognizing Romo's failures and selling him while the price is still high can give this team a better chance than handcuffing the future by resigning a 30 something year old QB who doesn't possess the skill set needed to lead a team to championship success.

    Here's one more tidbit to consider: Romo is not a pocket passer. He's in his low 30's and has taken a beating over the years. What happens when his legs diminish? Being an investor, which is what a team owner is, has to know when to get in and when to get out.

    "
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas Baby
    Posts
    4,635
    vCash
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by bhooks80 View Post
    I disagree, about FS. We don't have a true ballhawk on our roster, Matt Johnson hasn't shown he can stay healthy and could be good, but he hasn't shown anything on this level yet. The Cowboys if they can get a ballhawk back there would be quietly putting together one of the more formidable Secondaries in the NFL.

    We know what we have in Sensi, and he is an average Safety, at best. Church/McCray could wind up being the SS next year, but I think the coaching staff takes a hard look at upgrading the back end of that defense. Every year we come in with hypotheticals, like Johnson.

    Also, Church is hurt and the contract they gave him was a very low risk contract. When he was in, he was okay but didn't blow me away and I actually think McCray has performed as well as Church could this year. Now maybe Church grows and develops more but he is already a vet.

    This FS class is very deep and it would not hurt to get as many players back there as possible. We are in a dicey situation now with our Safeties and I would rather not play the Safety carousel for the next 4 years.
    We are stuck with Sensi just as we are with Scandrick because they both robbed Jerry Jones at the same time. Church is better than McCray because McCray can only tackle he can't play in coverage at all. On most passing downs Ryan is starting to take him out and put peprah in the game. Johnson in college atleast should he can hit and cover I still would have rather went after Landry because the guy is a beast. The contract JJ gave Church might be low risk but the injury he has he will most likely never be the same player
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    9,895
    vCash
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    We are stuck with Sensi just as we are with Scandrick because they both robbed Jerry Jones at the same time. Church is better than McCray because McCray can only tackle he can't play in coverage at all. On most passing downs Ryan is starting to take him out and put peprah in the game. Johnson in college atleast should he can hit and cover I still would have rather went after Landry because the guy is a beast. The contract JJ gave Church might be low risk but the injury he has he will most likely never be the same player
    rob ryan is primary responsible for us signing scandrick. he pushed jerry to do it early. jerry is not a ruthless dictator. he got information from his coaches, DC, and his staff, and based on what they said, resigned him. the main person pushing for him to get that contract was rob ryan.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Friendswood, TX
    Posts
    2,803
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    We need a RB because Murray has proved since college that he is going to miss games and that won't fail. Cooper I like more because he isn't coming from some power house school. I don't like the drafting of power house school players because they seem to be bust in the NFL and regular D1 school players seem to be better in the NFL. Kenjon Barner or Ellington would be the RB i would target because of the speed. I also wouldn't be opposed to drafting knile Davis, but i would prefer the top 2 picks to be O-line help. We all have to realize that Smith is not a LT and has never played LT thats like moving a FS to CB
    agreed. I think we need to get a RB in the first 4 rounds. Also I would love to sign a RT In FA and draft OG round one. Tyron will be a great LT just needs a season or two. He will be a pro bowl RT right now. Give him time.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    9,895
    vCash
    0
    jake long, and clady will not be free agents. at best, they will resign, and at worse, be franchised.

    Tyron needs to stay at LT.

    Seriously, he is only 21... he isnt even done growing physically. By draft next year, he will be 21- MAYBE 22, and have 2 years experience. Probally younger then any lineman we could draft still...

    One of the reasons we took him, is because of his work ethic. i cannot stress that this guy is very young, and only improving. He will get bigger, stronger, faster over the next 2-3 years, and continue to improve.

    keep tyron at LT.


    I think we diff. need to use free agency, and the draft to take lineman. The best we can get. 1st round pick, take best RT or G, or C available, same thing for 2nd.

    our line is vital to our success.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NE Penna (God's Country)
    Posts
    26,506
    vCash
    1500
    I agree with the OP that the line is the priority...I have said in numerous threads that the OL is the biggest part of the 3rd year in the 3-year plan...get the best FA OL available (regardless of position) and then use the first pick on OL..granted, at 32 there may not be any studs, but you never know...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,013
    vCash
    1684
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I agree with the OP that the line is the priority...I have said in numerous threads that the OL is the biggest part of the 3rd year in the 3-year plan...get the best FA OL available (regardless of position) and then use the first pick on OL..granted, at 32 there may not be any studs, but you never know...
    I think with so many teams need the skills positions when we draft at 32 there should be a good to very good interior linemen.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •