Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    This is too much money to give Wright he is good, but he isn't that guy. Hes already declining and wants 7 years no thanks
    How is he already declining? He had one of his best years in 2012 and was the best third baseman in the league. He may not be hitting as many homeruns, but he's still among best third baseman the league has to offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Wrong... They settled for second best like they always do.
    Beltran wasn't the best available? Rodriguez wasn't the best available? Wagner wasn't the best available? Santana was an ace, and he's still paid top +/-5 money I think.

With Bay, the Mets weren't trying to save a few bucks. They saved approximately $60 million + 3 additional years at risk, and Bay was a good player to sign. There were no questions about him -- except for rumors about a knee injury which proved false. He produced in Pittsburgh ( a pitcher's park) and in Boston under the scrutiny of the Boston media, a pennant race, and the player the BoSox received in return for the iconic Manny Ramirez.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post
    Yeah, Fred didn't say anything to a reporter during a piece for the New Yorker about how Jose wasn't going to get "Carl Crawford money." That's also the same interview he didn't say David Wright wasn't a superstar, wasn't it?
    Reyes got nothing close to Crawford money. Wright's performance had been slipping for a few years. His WAR fell from a high of 8.8 in 2007 to a 1.9 in 2011. For my money a superstar posts a 6.0+ WAR consistently. Wilpon's statements were accurate, fair, and honest.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-21-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post
    What assumptions? We're talking about the Wilpons, who have a proven track record of botching these things all to hell. And people are condemning the comments, not the action they haven't taken yet. You can try to excuse it all you like, but his plan sure seems to match exactly what happened with Jose the season before last, so there's precedent.

If you're sick of reading people saying bad things about your Wilpons, stop reading these threads. Telling people not to speak their mind is asinine.
    I think you're overreacting to what we're saying.

I believe the point was that, as bad as incompetent as the Wilpons are, especially Jeff, we don't know that Jeff is in fact the one who will be handling the Wright negotiation.

Sure, if he is, it's time to head for the hills and circle the wagons. And jump ship sooner than later. We call can be damned sure the transaction will be botched.

But why freak out about it now, based on a media account that may or may not be true?

No one is defending the Wilpons (well, almost no one. Woody, meet Dugmet.) we're just saying (or at least I think we're saying) is wait for the report about Jeff handling the negotiation to be confirmed before freaking out.

Just my two cents.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Beltran wasn't the best available? Rodriguez wasn't the best available? Wagner wasn't the best available? Santana was an ace, and he's still paid top +/-5 money I think.

With Bay, the Mets weren't trying to save a few bucks. They saved approximately $60 million + 3 additional years at risk, and Bay was a good player to sign. There were no questions about him -- except for rumors about a knee injury which proved false. He produced in Pittsburgh ( a pitcher's park) and in Boston under the scrutiny of the Boston media, a pennant race, and the player the BoSox received in return for the iconic Manny Ramirez.

Reyes got nothing close to Crawford money. Wright's performance had been slipping for a few years. His WAR fell from a high of 8.8 in 2007 to a 1.9 in 2011. For my money a superstar posts a 6.0+ WAR consistently. Wilpon's statements were accurate, fair, and honest.
    Wright wasn't a superstar from 2009-2011 because they ****ed with him mentally by building an outragegous pitcher's park that was murder to right-handed hitters. Yogi Berra once said "baseball is a 90% mental and the other half is physical."

Reyes got close to Carl Crawford money, he's getting $2-3M less per year and for one less year making it a $35M difference. But even Carl Crawford didn't deserve Carl Crawford money, and if Reyes was a Boras client like he was, I'd bet that he would have got something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Wright's performance had been slipping for a few years. His WAR fell from a high of 8.8 in 2007 to a 1.9 in 2011. For my money a superstar posts a 6.0+ WAR consistently. Wilpon's statements were accurate, fair, and honest.
    He was 4th in the NL in WAR this year with 6.7.

Youngstuna already pointed it out, but if it weren't for Citi Field being the largest park in the league in 2009 and 2010, Wright would've been fine. It really messed him up. Even then, it was his defense that was at an all time low for him, since he put up oWAR numbers of 4.3 in '09 and 4.0 in '10. His defense was superb in 2012, so I don't really see that as a problem anymore.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 11-21-2012 at 10:52 AM.

vCash
    And he still hit 29 homers in 2010 so it's not like he sucked. That production is very good considering the circumstances. His defense was OK in 2009, but in 2010-2011 his defense suffered because he bulked up to hit homers and got injured as well.

In 2012 he's back to the Wright of old, but with better defense and a little less power.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    And he still hit 29 homers in 2010 so it's not like he sucked. That production is very good considering the circumstances. His defense was OK in 2009, but in 2010-2011 his defense suffered because he bulked up to hit homers and got injured as well.

In 2012 he's back to the Wright of old, but with better defense and a little less power.
    He's not back to his peak years though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    Now that was funny !!!

I like your sense of humor.

There is not 1 player in all of baseball and I include Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrerra and Buster Posey that I would give a 9 year contract to.

If there was a gun to my head and I had to give a 9 year contract to 1 player it probably would be Trout, but with no gun ....NOBODY !!!
    I am not a businessman. It is not my job to worry about the finances of this garbage team. I want to watch my favorite player play on my favorite team for the next decade. Whether or not he sucks the last few years, I want him here. Give him 7 years with 2 year option. It doesn't matter to me, since I am paying up the wazoo in ticket prices and concession stand prices already.

Why the hell do fans care so much about contract lengths and the companies money? We aren't shareholders, we don't mean jack squat. We just get to watch the games and hope it has players we like. I've already accepted that this team is only going to win about one world series in my lifetime, so why should I resign myself to the medial duties of an accountant? I want to watch my favorite player, and I want him on my team for the rest of this decade and more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    He peaked offensively from 2006-2008, but he certainly was much better defensively this year than he was even in his GG years.

Third baseman deteriorate the quickest offensively behind catchers so we had to expect some decline.

Like YS said the previous incarnation of Citi Field hurt Wrights offensive stats and certainly got into his head too.

They should have never changed the dimensions from Shea (that was a very fair park)
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-21-2012 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    Plain and simple his production does not warrant the contract he wants. .306 BA 21 HRs 93 RBIs is not worth a 7 year contract where that production will decline from where it currently is he wants a little less money than Ryan Braun and Braun is a way better player offensively. Plus Braun is getting better where Wright is declining

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    Plain and simple his production does not warrant the contract he wants. .306 BA 21 HRs 93 RBIs is not worth a 7 year contract where that production will decline from where it currently is he wants a little less money than Ryan Braun and Braun is a way better player offensively. Plus Braun is getting better where Wright is declining
    We still don't really even know what he wants everything has been rumors at this point.

But comparing him to just one player is silly. By that logic he should get way way more than 140 mil...b/c Crawford got 140 mil and he's better than Crawford offensively and plays a much more premium position
    Last edited by Raspy44; 11-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Relative to the league as a whole Wright in 2012 was back to what he was during some of his better years. Offense as a whole in MLB is down from what it was 4-5 years ago. Wright's 143 OPS+ this year was one of the best of his career...only behind what he did in 2007. His 7.8 WAR was also the second best of his career

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspy44 View Post
    Relative to the league as a whole Wright in 2012 was back to what he was during some of his better years. Offense as a whole in MLB is down from what it was 4-5 years ago. Wright's 143 OPS+ this year was one of the best of his career...only behind what he did in 2007. His 7.8 WAR was also the second best of his career
    Well i think he was more referencing his traditional numbers, not to mention his ISO and OPS are down considerably from his peak years in 2007-2008.

He is not the SB threat he was either.

He's still a very good offensive player but not the caliber of offensive player he once was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well i think he was more referencing his traditional numbers, not to mention his ISO and OPS are down considerably from his peak years in 2007-2008.

He is not the SB threat he was either.

He's still a very good offensive player but not the caliber of offensive player he once was.
    My point on the OPS is that that decrease is largely a reflection of the league as a whole...offense throughout MLB isn't as good as it was a few years ago. Wright's rankings relative to his peers this year in that regard were similar to how they were during some of his best years. Wright's .883 OPS this year ranked him 13th in MLB....his .924 OPS in 2008 was also 13th in MLB. His 2007 (which was his best year IMO) ranked him 15th in MLB. So I don't think its completely fair to say he's not what he was...when the league as a whole isn't really what it was when it comes to offense. The "norms" are different now than what they used to be.

I think its fair to say he hasn't been as consistently good over the last 4 years as he was over the prior 4 years...that much is clear. He was elite every year from 2005 to 2008 and rarely slumped. But just looking at the individual years as a whole his 2012 was right up there with one of his best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspy44 View Post
    This.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast