Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post
    What assumptions? We're talking about the Wilpons, who have a proven track record of botching these things all to hell. And people are condemning the comments, not the action they haven't taken yet. You can try to excuse it all you like, but his plan sure seems to match exactly what happened with Jose the season before last, so there's precedent.

If you're sick of reading people saying bad things about your Wilpons, stop reading these threads. Telling people not to speak their mind is asinine.

vCash
    What assumptions? We're talking about the Wilpons, who have a proven track record of botching these things all to hell. And people are condemning the comments, not the action they haven't taken yet. You can try to excuse it all you like, but his plan sure seems to match exactly what happened with Jose the season before last, so there's precedent.

If you're sick of reading people saying bad things about your Wilpons, stop reading these threads. Telling people not to speak their mind is asinine.
    I never said not to speak your mind. I also never said you couldn't bash them. I just said there is no reason to act like a mob based off of your assumptions when nothing has happened yet.

What exactly is their track record?

They had no problem negotiating Beltran, Pedro, and Wagner contracts. They also had no problem negotiating contracts for Santana, K-Rod, or Bay.

So just like every other owner/GM they get some and they lose some.

I stated last year that if they didn't sign Wright to an extension that I was going to be highly pissed off and it would be my breaking point. However I am not going to sit here and falsely criticize the FO and Ownership about not resigning 2 players that they are still talking to.

O and BTW did Fred and/or Jeff publicly come out and say anything about retaining Reyes? I don't think they did and that is the BIG difference between Reyes and Dickey/Wright.

vCash
    This is too much money to give Wright he is good, but he isn't that guy. Hes already declining and wants 7 years no thanks

vCash
    We'll see what happens... One of my fav Mets (I'm 18 been watching him since I was 10 along with Reyes and they took him from me) So I've basically grown up watching him with the Mets... They let Reyes go and now they might let him go but if he can get us some good prospects that will better the team so be it, but it will hurt really bad just as bad as Reyes if not more he has been my fav Met growing up with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    The Mets should be willing to sing him to any deal he wants. He's done all he could wiht the Mets and has literally been the Mets best player in the franchise's history. It would be devestating if he leaves.
    Sorry, but that is ridiculous ...." sign him to any deal he wants".

When you are as bad as the Mets are there is no one and I emphasize NO ONE, that cannot be traded.

If trading David Wright improves the team for now or the future then you trade him...end of story !!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Then give it to him.
    Now that was funny !!!

I like your sense of humor.

There is not 1 player in all of baseball and I include Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrerra and Buster Posey that I would give a 9 year contract to.

If there was a gun to my head and I had to give a 9 year contract to 1 player it probably would be Trout, but with no gun ....NOBODY !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Then give it to him.
    The initial offer was 6 years for 110, Wright countered with 7 for 140 with 2 option years.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    I never said not to speak your mind. I also never said you couldn't bash them. I just said there is no reason to act like a mob based off of your assumptions when nothing has happened yet.
    And again, nobody's basing anything off of assumptions. We're basing our criticisms off of their comments and the rumors about their approach.

They had no problem negotiating Beltran, Pedro, and Wagner contracts. They also had no problem negotiating contracts for Santana, K-Rod, or Bay.

So you're just going to pretend now that Jeff Wilpon doesn't have a negative reputation among GMs and agents now? If that's the game we're playing, what's the point?

I stated last year that if they didn't sign Wright to an extension that I was going to be highly pissed off and it would be my breaking point. However I am not going to sit here and falsely criticize the FO and Ownership about not resigning 2 players that they are still talking to.
    Nobody's falsely criticizing them. We're criticizing them for their approach, which is perfectly fair. If you don't like it, feel free not to read it.

O and BTW did Fred and/or Jeff publicly come out and say anything about retaining Reyes? I don't think they did and that is the BIG difference between Reyes and Dickey/Wright.
    Yeah, Fred didn't say anything to a reporter during a piece for the New Yorker about how Jose wasn't going to get "Carl Crawford money." That's also the same interview he didn't say David Wright wasn't a superstar, wasn't it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    Now that was funny !!!

I like your sense of humor.

There is not 1 player in all of baseball and I include Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrerra and Buster Posey that I would give a 9 year contract to.

If there was a gun to my head and I had to give a 9 year contract to 1 player it probably would be Trout, but with no gun ....NOBODY !!!
    If the player is young enough, like they did with Braun (I think) and the kids in Colorado, then I don't have a problem. But a 30-year-old? No way.

vCash
    And again, nobody's basing anything off of assumptions. We're basing our criticisms off of their comments and the rumors about their approach.

So you're just going to pretend now that Jeff Wilpon doesn't have a negative reputation among GMs and agents now? If that's the game we're playing, what's the point?

Nobody's falsely criticizing them. We're criticizing them for their approach, which is perfectly fair. If you don't like it, feel free not to read it.

Yeah, Fred didn't say anything to a reporter during a piece for the New Yorker about how Jose wasn't going to get "Carl Crawford money." That's also the same interview he didn't say David Wright wasn't a superstar, wasn't it?

Just for the record he didn't get Carl Crawford Money.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Just for the record he didn't get Carl Crawford Money.
    Haha. Very true. But beside the point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post

Wrong... They settled for second best like they always do. Instead of going out and getting the younger more talented player in Matt Holliday they tried to save a few bucks and go after Bay. Yes no one could have imagine Bay would fall flat on his face the way he did but Holliday was the better hitter. Holliday may have lost some power at Citi Field but he would have still be a .300 hitter. Bay was a .250 hitter with power which doesn't equate to much with the large dimensions at the time.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Wrong... They settled for second best like they always do. Instead of going out and getting the younger more talented player in Matt Holliday they tried to save a few bucks and go after Bay. Yes no one could have imagine Bay would fall flat on his face the way he did but Holliday was the better hitter. Holliday may have lost some power at Citi Field but he would have still be a .300 hitter. Bay was a .250 hitter with power which doesn't equate to much with the large dimensions at the time.
    What does any of that have to do with being able to negotiate a contract?

I will save you the time and tell you.....nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Beltran, Delgado, Santana and K-Rod would contradict your assessment.

vCash

I am not pretending. Just because he has a negative reputation around the league hasn't stopped him from getting the best talent available during certain years. It is not a game. It is a fact.

And if you want to talk about what they said about those players in an off topic manner than fine. I told you he didn't say anything about how the negotiations where going with Reyes and what is plans where. He did with Wright and Dickey and that is a big difference. I am sorry if you can't prove me wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast