Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If the Mets can't re-sign the face of their franchise then its time for the Wilpons to go.

The real question who is important enough for the Mets to acquire in FA or retain if they are already on the team?

As much as I hate the idea of a Wrightless Mets, if they have no plans on keeping him they better move Wright before he hits FA and all they will end up getting is a compensatory pick.

This ownership is just pathetic.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-20-2012 at 11:52 PM.

vCash
    I've said this before...but...If I'm David Wright why would I want to sign any sort of extension this year? I have my contract for this season, a season in which the Mets are again writing off, so its another wasted year of my career...now fall of 2013 if you want to sign me...then show me what you are going to invest around me, otherwise why should I continue to waste what is left of my most productive years with a team that is content with mediocrity?

Then again what do I know? LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    As much as I'd love to take the opportunity to blast Jeff Wilpon, let me be the voice of calm for a moment.

Come on now, is that really the kind of source that should get us up in arms right now?

See how it plays out. There will be plenty of time to breathe fire against the organization if they mess this up.
    If this were the first time we were hearing of Jeff Wilpon screwing up negotiations, you'd have a point. But the douchier Wilpon is infamous for his (lack of) negotiating prowess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    I've said this before...but...If I'm David Wright why would I want to sign any sort of extension this year? I have my contract for this season, a season in which the Mets are again writing off, so its another wasted year of my career...now fall of 2013 if you want to sign me...then show me what you are going to invest around me, otherwise why should I continue to waste what is left of my most productive years with a team that is content with mediocrity?
    I can think of a few reasons, in order from most important to (perhaps) least:

1. Security: Right now, he can get paid the big bucks - and get paid those big bucks for many years. But if he has a poor 2013 season, or if he suffers a nasty injury, then there's no guarantee that he will make anything like what he is being offered now. So an extension would offer a lot of financial security.

2. Comfort: He's been in New York for his entire career. He's familiar with the ballpark, with the city and the region, the media and he has friends in the locker room.

3. Legacy: An extension takes him through most if not all of the remainder of his career. He is "the" guy here, and will remain so if he stays - like Jeter. Even though, due to age, there are now better players on the Yankees than Jeter, he is still "the" guy. So getting locked up here secures his legacy and his big man on campus status.

4. Fandom: Wright has been a Mets fan since he was a kid. Professionals don't make as much of a big deal about this as we do, but I'm sure it's a factor.

Depending on how important winning is to him, he's going to have to consider whether he trusts or doesn't trust Sandy's plan. R.A. Dickey surprisingly came out and said he has "bought in" to Sandy's plan. I'm stunned about that, but I think if Sandy can convince Dickey, then it should be even easier to convince David.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Trade him and Dickey. Just 2 more years of sucking and things will just have to go right... the universe will owe it to us.

vCash
    The Mets should be willing to sing him to any deal he wants. He's done all he could wiht the Mets and has literally been the Mets best player in the franchise's history. It would be devestating if he leaves.

vCash
    This would be so epically bad, even for the Wilpons:

Despite losing Jose Reyes a year ago with only draft-pick compensation, chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon maintained Tuesday that the Mets' preference would be to have David Wright and R.A. Dickey play their option years with the club rather than trade them this offseason.
    We hope to have a resolution," Wilpon said. "And you know what? Part of that resolution might be that we get deals done with both of them or one of them. Part of that might be that they both come back and play for us next year. They're both under contract. This is not a free-agent situation. This is not an arbitration situation. They're both under contract. We have all the flexibility in the world with that.

"Or Sandy [Alderson] could decide that, gee, we trade one or both of them. That's not where we're at. Right now the process is ongoing. And I think that's the best way to characterize it."

Wilpon added that the "first preference" is to reach longer-term deals with both players.

"That has been the first preference," Wilpon said. "The second preference is probably to keep them and have them play out the season. The third preference would be to trade them. They're both important to the franchise and fan favorites. So we'd like to keep it that way."

Reminded that the Mets lost Reyes for only draft picks after letting him play out his option season and then failing to re-sign him, Wilpon said: "We're dealing in hypothetical now, so I don't want to go there. In terms of right now, the process is ongoing and we want to get something done."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...rable-to-trade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Rumor has it Wright wants a 9 year contract.
    Then give it to him.

vCash
    I don't disagree with the sentiments about Jeff.

I'm just saying its not worth going crazy over a story based on "sources familiar with the organization's negotiating tactics."

Hell, I'm a source familiar with their negotiating tactics. They screw up situations, one way or another. That's their tactic.

I'm still not going crazy over this one, I'll wait to see how this played out,
    Go Grab My Belt

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    I hope the Whimpons don't make the franchise look like a laughing stock. Sign R.A. & DW.

Oops! I'm wrong they already are.

If DW is traded my allegiance to the team after 49 years may be broken. IF C-level management continues to run the team as it is I will retire from following this team.

I'm anxious to see how negotiations will play out.......

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I don't disagree with the sentiments about Jeff.

I'm just saying its not worth going crazy over a story based on "sources familiar with the organization's negotiating tactics."

Hell, I'm a source familiar with their negotiating tactics. They screw up situations, one way or another. That's their tactic.

I'm still not going crazy over this one, I'll wait to see how this played out,
    Indeed. If the story pans out, there will be plenty of time to get worked up over it. But a story based on an anonymous source doesnt have a basis. Sorry, but that's just how i base my opinion.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Can't sign David Wright...just a ****ing embarrassment of an organization if this deal doesn't get done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Indeed. If the story pans out, there will be plenty of time to get worked up over it. But a story based on an anonymous source doesnt have a basis. Sorry, but that's just how i base my opinion.
    What good does it do for us to talk about anything? We're just fans. But at least talking about rumors is interesting. I can't think of a bigger waste of time than telling people they shouldn't talk about something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post
    What good does it do for us to talk about anything? We're just fans. But at least talking about rumors is interesting. I can't think of a bigger waste of time than telling people they shouldn't talk about something.
    There is a HUGE difference between talking about something and bringing out the pitchforks and torches about things that haven't happened yet.

Why are people condemning anyone when they are still negotiating with each other.

Here is the thing about what Fred said. He isn't going to publicly say trading a player is higher on the list than keeping him. How would that make sense in any form. If he says the number one priority is to resign them how does it make sense that the 2nd priority is to trade them over keeping them for another year in hopes to getting another shot at resigning them? It doesn't.

It also doesn't make sense to publicly say anything about trades because it doesn't look good for Wright or Dickey. It shouldn't publicly be known that it is either sign the extension or your gone. Not only does it put a bad taste in the players mouth, but we lose leverage around the league because teams know we will HAVE to trade them if we are giving out ultimatums to our players.

It gets a little old and frustrating seeing hate posts one after another about assumptions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    There is a HUGE difference between talking about something and bringing out the pitchforks and torches about things that haven't happened yet.

Why are people condemning anyone when they are still negotiating with each other.

Here is the thing about what Fred said. He isn't going to publicly say trading a player is higher on the list than keeping him. How would that make sense in any form. If he says the number one priority is to resign them how does it make sense that the 2nd priority is to trade them over keeping them for another year in hopes to getting another shot at resigning them? It doesn't.

It also doesn't make sense to publicly say anything about trades because it doesn't look good for Wright or Dickey. It shouldn't publicly be known that it is either sign the extension or your gone. Not only does it put a bad taste in the players mouth, but we lose leverage around the league because teams know we will HAVE to trade them if we are giving out ultimatums to our players.

It gets a little old and frustrating seeing hate posts one after another about assumptions.
    What assumptions? We're talking about the Wilpons, who have a proven track record of botching these things all to hell. And people are condemning the comments, not the action they haven't taken yet. You can try to excuse it all you like, but his plan sure seems to match exactly what happened with Jose the season before last, so there's precedent.

If you're sick of reading people saying bad things about your Wilpons, stop reading these threads. Telling people not to speak their mind is asinine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast